“Wonderful location, excellent service!”

Bannisters by the sea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Canberra, Australia
“Wonderful location, excellent service!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed for a two night package in late January 2014 and had a very enjoyable time. The location is great - spectacular views and extremely close to a good beach and both Mollymook shops and Ulladulla. The pool was lovely and warm with a stunning view, you could relax there for hours. The food was all wonderful - breakfast, pool-bar pizza and Rick Stein's sumptuous three course seafood meal. The service we received, right from the get-go, from the reception staff, wait staff in the restaurant, staff at the pool-side bar and the excellent day-spa team were all first class and made our stay memorable. The only fault we could mention is that the rooms were a little tired - a bit of mould in the showers, marks on the walls, damaged carpet, the painting around the bathroom door was pretty poor. This made the high prices we paid a little disappointing, but the rest of the experience made up for what the room lacked. I would have rated a 5 if the room was in better condition. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend that you try a Bannister Breeze at the bar :-)

1 Thank Stormy4
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Stormy4,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, pool bar and restaurant. I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful time with us! Thank you for your feedback, for the next two months we are investing in ‘touching up’ all the rooms after a busy summer season which is including regrouting, painting and general maintenance.
I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back to Bannisters in the not too distant future.
Peter Bacon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in room 9.

Bannister's is basically a refurbished 1970s motel, with the rooms arranged in an l shape around a parking lot. Lots of white paint can't hide the basic cement block construction. The location though is fantastic, with great ocean views. Staff were also very helpful, friendly and polite.

Our room was nicely furnished with white and neutral shades, comfortable king bed and sofa. The bathroom is very basic and is in need of an update.

The biggest problem with our room was the smell from the pool bar kitchen located directly below us. Any time from 11am to 10pm we had to keep the door to our balcony closed and the aircon on to prevent the smell of kitchen grease from permeating our room. So we had a lovely big deck with chairs and sun lounges that we couldn't use most of the time. We mentioned this to reception, who were very understanding but couldn't move us because they were full. We were given a scented candle and told that we could close the door! They did offer to move us from the second night to a smaller room with smaller balcony directly above the pool. We declined.

You could understand these issues in a less expensive establishment but at the prices charged by Bannisters, it simply isn't good enough. We won't be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enigmike
Dear Lurch0001,
Thank you for your feedback, although I am disappointed that your stay was underwhelming.
I was briefed about your situation during your stay. During your stay, our exhaust system in the pool bar kitchen malfunctioned and then broke down. Of course, we did all we could to have this fixed ASAP and we were very sorry this effected your stay at Bannisters. On a more positive note, I am very pleased you were well looked after by Catherine who did her best to relocate you. I understand that you preferred to stay your room and I hope that our compensation did help alleviate the situation.
I am sorry to hear you won’t be back, however I can personally guarantee a very different experience should you stay with us again. My direct email is below and I welcome you to contact me should you wish to visit us again.
peterbacon@bannisters.com.au
Raymond Terrace, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Where do I start..... I can not recommend this place any higher. My husband and I stayed for 3 days of Australia Day Weekend. From the moment we walked in we knew this place was going to exceed our expectations. We stayed in a spa luxury suite, was truly magnificent. We were lucky enough to have room 7 which has a huge balcony which makes the view even more spectacular. Room amazing, service the same and the boys at the pool bar were fantastic. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 7 view Amazing
Dear teresab2812014,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Bannisters! I am very pleased to hear you had such a wonderful long weekend with us and I do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here for two nights at the end of the Australia Day long weekend. The lodge is well appointed and generally well run, with some lapses in service.
We stayed in a spa apartment and loved the layout of the shower, bathroom and bedroom. We ate several times in the restaurant and at the poolside bar. The poolside bar staff were terrific, very attentive, knew the menu and were extremely helpful.
Interestingly, the restaurant service was less consistent. Breakfast service in particular was hit and miss. Staff seemed almost reluctant to take our order and on both mornings no gluten free bread was available. (This may seem like a petty thing on which to chip the restaurant but as a celiac who stays and eats at lots of other comparable establishments - see my other reviews - it is not an unreasonable request.) On both mornings staff informed us that they had 'run out' of this item due to the long weekend but when we ate dinner in the restaurant in the middle night, not only was it available but brought without asking after it was obvious I had chosen my main course to meet my dietary needs.
We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends as well. I offer the previous comments on the basis that an establishment like Bannister's will always be looking to move beyond very good and seek excellence. Thanks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Greg C,

Thank you for choosing Bannisters and for sharing your experience, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I am pleased to hear you had some wonderful service which added to your stay as a whole, I am very pleased to read your comments about our Pool Bar. Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast and the lack of gluten free toast. We should have gluten free alternatives available at all times, and am personally following up on why this option was not available over the long weekend.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Bannisters soon.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

At the pool bar dinner was lovely but I have to say Leroy and Brett both went above and beyond to make our dining experience a memorable one .drinks mixed perfectly and the meal was delivered promptly would be my local if I lived in the area. Was worth the 12 hour drive will be back.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Pool Bar Alan-Derej! I will certainly pass on your comments to Leroy and Brett as well as our Pool Bar Manager Robert. It is wonderful to hear you had such a memorable experience and I do hope you will stop by when your next in the area.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

From the moment i rolled into the carpark - till the moment i left (kicking and screaming!) - i had everything my heart desired for a fantastic weekend away.
I was lucky enough to stay in the stunning Ocean deluxe room which had magnificent views of the ocean and the pool. Beautifully decorated and well appointed, i was really pleased with the room and the standard at which Bannisters keeps it. I love that there were great mags and books to flick through and good facilities to make a cuppa to enjoy on the sun lounge.
I had high expectations of the restaurant- and i wasn't disappointed. Great seafood and reasonable wine list to go with. I also ate the pool bar where the pizza's were delish, and where i also had one to many God's G&T's- please do yourself a favour and try one (or two) of these.
Breakfast is Great- a good ole fry up is what i had and it couldnt be faulted.
I cant wait to go back! The staff were so accommodating and friendly during what was a busy period, it is a well oiled machine at Bannisters- thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your fabulous review Miss daley, I am thrilled you had such a fantastic weekend away. I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon!

Thirroul
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in early December for our 10th wedding anniversary and what a great choice we made. We were in one of the luxury suites and whilst we were apprehensive as had read our room could get a bit noisy this was not the case at all. Firstly the location of Bannisters is gorgeous. From our room we could hear the waves crashing each morning, rather nice start to the day. Followed by a dip in the pool to awaken the senses. Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic - a great selection and always plenty of food available. The service was absolutely wonderful. Be it from check in to the cleaners in the morning who would kindly get me a towel with a morning chat or the staff at the pool/pizza bar, (Rob in particular was great), they were all very attentive and always with a smile. We ate in the pizza bar on the Saturday night and the food, service and atmosphere were great. We then ate at Rick Steins on the Sunday night and again had a lovely evening. Service and food was good. My only complaint would be that the fish pie was not so great (a little overcooked) and rather tiny for the price. Everything else was lovely though. And a nod to the sommelier on that evening - a lovely wine choice. We hope this is now going to be our little yearly getaway. Thanks for a lovely time Bannisters!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear And1moremakes4,

Thank you for choosing Bannisters for you wedding anniversary and for taking the time to share your review.

We pride ourselves on our staff and I am very pleased to hear you were well looked after by all departments. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Rob, our Pool Bar Manager.

Our Luxury Suites have double glazing to ensure a relaxing and peaceful stay.

Thank you for your feedback on the Fish Pie, I will ensure Rick and our head chef Paul receive your comments.

I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back to Bannisters soon.

Peter Bacon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollymook
Dolphin Shores Hotel
Mollymook Surfbeach Motel & Apartments
Ridge Retreat at Mollymook
Ridge Retreat at Mollymook
#1 of 2 in Mollymook

Been to Bannisters by the sea? Share your experiences!