Our stay didn't get off to the best start with a missed call from the hotel during our drive down from Sydney to enquire what time we'd be arriving. I called straight back and spoke to a rude lady who huffed, told us we were "late arrivals" and then proceeded to tell us reception would be closed when we got there. We arrived at 9.45pm - hardly late! The night manager was great when we arrived though and check in was quick and efficient. He even offered to help with our bags as our room was on the upper floor and we'd carried them down the stairs to reception. On arrival in our room I was shocked. It certainly wasn't the 5 star standard we were expecting. The first thing we saw was a lot of dirt on the floor alongside a very tired old wardrobe/storage unit that looked like it belonged in my student accommodation in the 1990s. The main part of the room was nicely furnished and we could tell even though it was dark that the view was good. The carpet in the room however left a lot to be desired with two areas that had been cut out and replaced and an iron print on the floor! Again not exactly five star!
The bathroom was spacious however the one thing that leapt out again was the dirt on the floor. We've attached a picture to show what greeted us - a combination of pubic hair, dirt and long hair which my husband wiped up with a tissue. I was not impressed and at this point my husband and I talked about cutting our losses and just heading home but decided to sleep on it. Despite all this, the bed in the room was really comfy and we both slept really well.
The next morning I tried out the shower. The water pressure is abysmal and the temperature varies all the time. The shower unit itself is a funny half cubicle shape which when combined with a fixed shower head that only moves up or down really limits your movement and I kept banging my arms on the door. After the shower I went to use the hairdryer (kept in the bottom of the wardrobe) but I decided against as it was covered in dirt and brown sticky stuff (see photo).
We headed to breakfast which was pretty good but the buffet was fairly limited. When you are paying $400 a night, I don't think it would be too much to expect a decent coffee with your breakfast but no! Anything from the espresso machine comes at an extra charge!
Over breakfast we decided to stick
out the weekend as we really needed a break from Sydney but I went to reception to complain about the cleanliness issues. I was dubious about the kind of reception we'd get based on the phonecall the night before but to be fair our issues were handled well. Karen was great and immediately responded to the pictures I showed of our room and she certainly recovered the service failings that we had with some goodwill gestures and an immediate call to housekeeping to get the cleanliness addressed, with the promise of escalation to management when they got in.
The pool area at the hotel is ok but tiny. There are nowhere near enough loungers for the 32 rooms and the poolside area is pretty cramped.
We'd planned to spend most of our weekend out and about exploring the local area which is stunningly beautiful so for us the small pool area wasn't too much of an issue.
Overall we had a relaxing stay but the hotel is massively overpriced at $395 a night in peak season for the basic room. That's the same room rate as some of the top hotels across Australia but without the quality and facilities to match.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally built in 1970s as a seaside motel, a succession of upgrades and refurbishments now sees our accommodation offering 4.5 star rooms with panoramic ocean views and private balconies. We offer a choice of ocean deluxe, spa rooms, luxury suites, jacuzzi decks and penthouses as well as Rick Stein at Bannisters restaurant, a pizza bar and rejuvenating day spa. With close proximity to local surf beaches, Bannisters makes an excellent choice for your coastal retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Bannisters by the sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bannisters Point Hotel Mollymook
- Bannisters Point Mollymook