“Fresh, tasty and extensive menu”
Review of Swordfish Cafe

Swordfish Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Mittagong
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Takeout
Description: The Swordfish is a large eat in Cafe that can seat around 15 people inside and about 30 in the outside Courtyard. ...Rear entrance and parking. OPEN 9.00AM to 10.00PM (7 DAYS ..Including Public Holidays)
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I would recommend this cafe to EVERYONE passing through or living in Mittagong - the best seafood in the town, the best selection of food and super friendly and efficient service. 10 out of 10!

We stopped here on the way through to Canberra and what a pleasant surprise! There is a lot of choice here for places to eat, but the Swordfish Cafe is the best - by a long shot. We ordered the Portugese Chicken burger and it was so delicious. Fresh, perfectly cooked and so tasty we came back on our way home just so we could eat here again. As well we had the calamari which was so tender it melted in our mouth - not often you experience this even in very expensive restaurants. It was as good as any top class restaurant in Sydney. The range of salads here is incredible and balances the cooked food perfectly. And to top it off we had a pineapple fritter (not what it was called but similar). This was unreal! So delicate, crunchy on the outside (perfectly cooked) but sweet and tender in the middle - mouthwatering, moreish and magnificent!!

1  Thank TravellernotTourist7

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Person cooking took our order , we waited 15-20 minutes and asked how long it would be to deep fry a few bits of seafood and they realised they didnt even take down our order , so they cook it and 5 minutes later he hands our order over to us , the batter tasted like plain flour and the fish was bland as if it was frozen for months.. the worst part is they forgot their own menu for the seafood basket and didnt give us our crab claws , the owner didnt know how to use epftos and tried to put another $26 as cashout and watched me put my pin in , terrible food , terrible service , I wouldnt recomment this to my worst enemy, if you are in the mood to watch some clowns juggle orders and mess them up i would highly recommend this for entertainment.

2  Thank Michael D
Mcgyver_9999, Owner at Swordfish Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hello Michael D …
..Firstly, I am saddened that you had to go to some much trouble to voice your complaint when you could have easily mentioned it at the cafe and being the ACTUAL owner I could have resolved your issue.
..Now your critique … we may be clowns and yes we do have fun when we work especially under pressure and juggling orders is what this type of business is all about as different menu items have different cooking times and the juggling is about bringing all the items together at the one time.
..I buy nearly 150kg of fish a week which means I sell more than 750 fish a week, I go to the Fish Markets to buy my stock, I have people that travel from Moss Vale to Mittagong, a 20 minute drive, to buy their food.
..I am the owner of this Café and you refer to the owner not knowing how to use the eftpos? …so what are you inferring? ..Incompetence? …well, you would not know who the owner was, so don’t make assumptions and label people, ..and I do not walk around with a sign on my back that says “Owner”. …my senior Food Prep man has served, he is Greek and you have assumed him to be the owner, he is not very technical but he does not make mistakes, he has 50 years’ experience in the industry and has owned 5 previous Take Away Businesses, …the eftpos machine we are using is the latest issue, you cannot make a mistake, you must to go via the ‘CASH OUT’ window to complete the sale? …he saw your pin and what????, do you think he is going to mug you for your card. …this is a GPS machine and if you the customer, do something wrong we have to restart the transaction, he would have only been watching for the approval to come up.
…Re, the Crab Claws, I can only say that it is easy to make a mistake in such a busy service period and no one is perfect, .. for you to say the rest of your Seafood Baskets which comprised of Calamari, Prawn Cutlets, Fish Cocktails, Seafood Sticks, Chips ..less the Crab Claws, was terrible then I can only say is you have a another agenda and it has nothing to do with the food?? …we have the best Chips anywhere, our Calamari is unmatched by any restaurant as it is so tender, our Fish Cocktails are replenished twice a day and are freshly made …so what you are saying?? …all this noise is about some Crab Claws you did not receive??...as I said in the beginning this issue could have been resolved at the Cash Register or you could have phoned and we could have worked something out.?

…I didn’t kill your family, I don’t know who you are …so what’s all this hate, ..over some Crab Claws????

I will say this in closing, …our food is second to none …you will wait longer at any restaurant and pay a lot more to receive the same quality we produce, …we are about taste and quality not profit!!!
Owner ..RN

Reviewed June 9, 2013

A great provider of fish and chips to takeaway or eat in. Salads and other options also available. Good to take back to the motel after galivanting through Mittagong.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Since discovering this takeaway 2-3 months ago we've eaten here approx once a fortnight. The fish is fresh, and there is usually a choice of 4. I've only eaten grilled and it's always been perfectly cooked. The chips are just as they should be, chunky and tasty, reminiscent of English chips. When I stop having to visit the area regularly I know there will be special trips made from Sydney just to eat here. We often order ahead by phone to avoid having to queue.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stopped in quickly by chance on my way from Sydney to Canberra to grab a quick bite to eat.
Great burger! Fast, friendly service. Salads and the fish looked good also.
Thanks