“The best Milton has to offer”
Review of St Isidore

St Isidore
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Milton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We enjoyed dinner at St Isidore on a Friday evening in March. This was our second trip back to one of Milton's very best restaurants. The setting is very pleasant, and in warmer months, you can enjoy your meal on the covered verandah. The menu is imaginative and boasts local seasonal produce (our meals included corn picked that afternoon from the garden). There's a good wine list, too. Service is very friendly and attentive. St Isidore is an easy place to like, with a relaxed atmosphere, great food, great wine, great service. It is a little pricey, and it's not hard to spend $100 per head, but we love the place and will be back next time we're in Milton.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We accidentally chose to eat here on Valentine's Day. By accidentally I mean that we don't normally observe this occasion, but we happened to be in Milton and sought a good place to eat. The owner warned me in advance that there would be a set menu, and we went for it anyway. Set in historically significant Croobyar Road, and walking distance from our b & b, it doesn't look prepossessing from the street. Even as we approached up the pathway, it looked somewhat severe. It is, in fact, as we discovered when we rounded the corner of the building, an understated and charming restaurant with a contemporary feel. Pristine glassware and crisp linen service welcomed us inside, while the floor and the dining tables were scattered with red rose petals. We were given a choice of table, so naturally we chose to sit near a window but it probably wouldn't have made much difference. All the tables are set reasonably apart, and have enough access to the very pleasing outlook onto dairy pasture (no seaside views here). The minimalistic, if carefully designed, set menu was designed to be shared throughout, which was OK for the entree - a platter of antipasto - but this emphasis became a little more eccentric for the main and dessert. Nevertheless our (shared) chicken was delicious - very moist (how did they do it?) - and a fine, healthy portion. Overall, the food was very good and, at $55 per head, very reasonable. I see that the a la carte menu is considerably more expensive, but probably worth it if the set menu is anything to go by. The service was pleasant and efficient. There is provision to sit out on the deck on a fine evening, and when we were there other patrons were enjoying this opportunity.

2  Thank ozcozbecoz
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Recipes you recognise, but cooked in a way you can't. The chefs here trained in some great restaurants, and their class shines through.

2  Thank International_Apollo
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Blake and Mel at Little Ganga have us sorted on the caffeine front and Alex and Jo are doing EXCELLENT food just down the road at St Isidore.

My wife and I have been regular visitors since they opened and Alex's food just seems to get better with every visit.

There's a deftness of touch to the food, an attention to detail which gives due respect to and accentuates the fresh produce grown in their kitchen gardens.

Tonight we started with melt in your mouth Char grilled octopus. My wife rarely even contemplates occie but is happy to share this one.

Spanner crab, oyster and fried chicken bits for entree is now also favourite. A dish that challenges the palate and makes you thankful for it. Beautifully balanced.

Rib eye steak for main with REAL horseradish butter and green tomato chutney had me struggling for its size but I showed that 400gm who was boss!

Fresh house grown salad leaves for a side deserves mentioning too.

Snuck in a sorbet and cheesecake for desserts (just). The deconstructed cheesecake was good but I've had better. The best I've ever had was on our first visit to St Isidores.

The service from Jo and Sacha is always professional, attentive and most importantly friendly.

We think we're really lucky to live in a lovely little town like Milton, and we're just as lucky to have St Isidores as our local food heaven.

1  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed February 23, 2013

.When we moved to Milton 3 years ago we lamented that we might miss excellent coffee and excellent foodyou get used to just down the road in Sydney.

Fresh house grown salad leaves for a side deserves mentioning too.