“Perfect overnight between Sydney and Melbourne, five stars”

Merimbula Robyns Nest
Ranked #2 of 6 Merimbula B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Stayed on our trip from Sydney to Melbourne and loved Robyns Nest. Set amongst tall trees overlooking the lake, we had a deluxe suite - large room, bathroom and dressing room. But best of all, a beautiful balcony where we spent the late afternoon with a glass of wine enjoying the view. Superb breakfast in the morning after a sleep in good, comfy beds - we wished we could stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ccmanly

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at Robyn's Nest, and it wasn't all bad.... it just didn't live up to our expectations, or the reviews we'd previously read on here.

To start with we were greeted almost disapprovingly with 'Yes, what can I do for you?', when we arrived to check in. We'd been laughing and joking around at the time, but felt like we were being 'told off' with this steely greeting. The warmth didn't improve over the duration of the stay, and this was one of the really disappointing aspects of the stay. The host was almost too concerned with being proper, and seemed to struggle to crack a smile.

The room was large, comfortable and very clean. We couldn't fault the cleanliness! The decor reminded me of my mother-in-law's house, but I suppose each to their own. It was floral, green and burgundy, and very country in style.

Upon reading the guest book I was surprised there were extra charges for a room clean (partial or full), and any damage would be charged back to your credit card.... including makeup on bath linen (which I personally think is a bit rough - I had to avoid using the face washer for fear of getting makeup on it). You also had to pay for dvd use ($3 a time), for tennis equipment hire, and so on. The extra charges could easily add up.

We were surprised, given the advice that you had to request a room clean, to see our room had actually been serviced on our return to the room after the first night (so I am not sure what the additional charge they are referring to is?). They missed giving us our bathmat back which was a bit annoying. But most annoying was the fact that all our personal belongings were moved and handled. My computer bag had been relocated across the room, and all our toiletries had been packed into our cases and put under the sink which I found most disconcerting.

Breakfast was served each morning, and included with our rate. It was good food - fruit, yoghurt, cereals, juice, and a choice of 4 cooked breakfast cooked to your preference. Only, when i ordered hard boiled eggs with tomato and mushroom, I received medium boiled eggs (which I couldn't eat as I am pregnant), tomato and bacon. Given the steely atmosphere, I didn't say anything (though I guess that the host would have fixed this up if I had mentioned anything). We didn't get served toast like those around us did on the first morning of breakfast.

The host seemed very friendly with other guests, so we weren't sure why she wasn't with us. We wondered if she preferred older guests, and I think maybe the accommodation and services suit those in the next generation up from myself and my husband (we're 30). We ended up feeling unwelcome and disapproved of right from the start which made us feel quite uncomfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ms_LJ
BKAdministrator, Owner at Merimbula Robyns Nest, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2010

The "frosty Reception" may well have had to do with the fact that the "fooling around" involved repeatedly ringing the doorbell, which reverberates through the entire Guest House. I was in the kitchen when you arrived and it took me about 20 seconds to get to the door.
The room you were allocated has a 5 star rating AAA – we promote our property as being build along Heritage Lines and this is what it is. Green & Burgundy are Heritage colours.
All Guest House rooms are serviced daily and this is included in the tariff. There are “No Service Required”, “Do Not Disturb” and “Please Make up my Room” notices hanging on the inside door knob - these could have been used. As to the servicing of the room, the computer case was picked up off the floor so as not to be damaged with vacuuming; the bathroom vanity was covered with electrical appliances and a puddle of water underneath. To be able to dry the benches the items were neatly placed in the cupboard. I apologise about the bath mat, but you could have asked for a mat or used any of the extra 4 towels provided on top of your bath towels, or 2 x hand towels.
Additional cleaning charges are for the long stay self contained accommodation. A mid week service is included in the tariff of the cottages, & Robyns Nest is the only accommodation establishment in Merimbula that offers this service! The charges mentioned for DVS are discretionary and there are no charges for tennis court hire or racquets or fishing rods and tackle!
I have no idea where you get "4 choices" from in relation to the breakfast. If you wanted to add the combinations available, including catering for special diets, there are 57 choices! As for your eggs, they were timed for 6 minutes. The egg returned without comment to the kitchen was rock hard – I checked.
I apologise for the toast - as I was serving 16 people, your toast had been cooked and sat on the bench until I realised I had not given it to you. You seem to have forgotten I did apologise and ask if you would like toast, even though you had finished your meal. Your response was No.
I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. You were the only couple of the 68 people staying (many of them your age) who were not happy with everything offered.
Perhaps if you were a little less self centred, you would have enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

We had a wonderful few days staying at Robin's Nest. The cabins were delightful and had every conceivable piece of equipment for longer stays. The bed was just perfect as was the setting. Wonderful evenings on the balcony watching the sun go down. Peaceful and perfect.
Wendy & Rob

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The standard of accommodation at Robyns Nest far exceeded our expectations. The website cannot accurately portray the stunning view and high standard of accommodation. Service was of a very high standard. A must try is Robyn's world famous breakfast omelette or sit on your own private deck with breakfast cooked from the hamper supplied listening to the bellbirds and enjoying the lake views.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We found this an idyllic stopover on the way to Sydney. If we had known how beautiful the place was we would have arranged to stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank odriscoll110
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Found Robyn's Nest while trolling the web and was immediately hooked by the web site. It's an upmarket B&B just 3Km north of Merimbula and once you turn into the sealed private road you're immediately struck that this is something different. The setting is superb with marvellous views of the lake and you're surrounded by native forest ringing with bellbird sounds. The place is just like the web site portrays and is very comfortable and welcoming. Host Robyn was so helpful with local do's and places to visit, the best eateries and must things to experience during our stay - it was terrific to know a local was interested in helping us enjoy what the wider region offered. We enjoyed the pool side setting for a quiet read while soaking up the spring sun. We met some very friendly and warm visitors from overseas and locals - it was so relaxing and easy to fit in. Breakfast was hot, delicious with the range we preferred. It's a great place which sets high expectations that will delight you even when your own are very high too. Enjoy it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I stumbled onto Robyns Nest as the sun was getting low. Merimbula has many hotels and apartments, but none like this. 2k from town in one of the most beautiful settings for a hotel/ B&B I have ever seen ( and I've been around the world). 30 acres over a lake, gum forests with Kangaroos that come out at dusk. I watched numerous wallabies graze on one of the hills on the property. The bellbirds sing all day. It is like staying in a nature preserve. The rooms are huge and the balcony, with it's view, made it hard for me to leave the grounds. I planned one night - stayed 3. It is a little slice of paradise midway between Melbourne and Sydney. The pool is large and warm. The scenery is breath taking. I am coming back. I could pass on the town of Meribula but never on Robyns Nest!!

Service is top rate. Staff is great and Robyn is beyond compare. The first night I got there I was so tired and it was so late I did not want to go to town for dinner. Robyn immediately got me a take away menu and within 20 minutes I was eating prawn pizza al fresco as the sunset. I left an item behind, she tracked me down at my next B&B and mailed it back to the US for me.

Robyns Nest is more like a friendly hotel than a typical B&B. It is large, rooms are spacious and you don't have to mingle with other guests if you do not want to.

You wont be sorry and plan to stay an extra night or two or you will regret it!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merimbula
Comfort Inn Merimbula
#1 of 6 in Merimbula
Sapphire Waters Motor Inn
Sapphire Waters Motor Inn
#2 of 15 in Merimbula

Been to Merimbula Robyns Nest? Share your experiences!