“Basic but clean with good location.”

Comfort Inn Merimbula
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Merimbula
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Good location. Rooms clean but dated with worn bedspreads and no flat screen TV or Austar or Wifi. Good cooked breakfast .

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed February 1, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here and we would definitely come back. The couple who own and run it were extremely nice people, it feels more like you are staying at a bed and breakfast than a motel. The rooms have the vintage charm of an old American Rt 66 style motel. We really liked the extra touches such as the family dog who slept near the front desk. The morning breakfast was a highlight as well, super fresh fruit and real scrambled eggs and bacon (not the powdered eggs at some places) plus a nice selection of bread and cereals. Another nice touch was the free videos to borrow at the front desk and books to read in the rooms.

The only cons - a couple of the pillows in our room were overdue to be replaced and the airconditioning didn't work so well. But, these were minor. We liked the hotel and we liked Merimbula and would come back.

Room Tip: I would try to get breakfast included, breakfast was excellent, but depending on how much you eat it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I am a 46 year old male who travels frequently with work around the state of NSW and stay in various motels during the year. What I have experienced at this motel I have never experienced before. The lack of professionalism and organisation skills is beyond belief.

My wife and I arrived at the motel at about 2.20 in the afternoon after an 8 hour drive from Melbourne. We had booked online through an accomadation web site as we were travelling. The web site advised us that check in was 2 pm. As we parked the car and entered the reception area were we saw a male person behind the desk. We said "Hi" only to be greeted by a hand in the air in the symbol of a stop gesture. It was then we realised he was on the phone (on loud speaker) talking to his energy provider about his power bill. We waited about 4 minutes until the energy provider transfered him to another department. You can imagine my ethusiasm after an 8 hour drive, listening about how no bills have come and an $8000 bill may be on it's way. We were quickly dealt with (inbetween) calls and handed our keys to room 14. We parked the car and entered the room only to find the it had not been cleaned from the night before. Upon returning to reception we were advised that they were short a cleaner and were running behind. (I understand this can happen when people turn up so early............but I HAVE NEVER been given the keys to a room that has not been made.) We advised the man behind the desk and his responce was, "They are working as quick as they can. You know they are very tired as they have been flat out for the last couple of weeks". We were advised that the room would be ready in 30 minutes. We asked if there were any other rooms or options available to us. We were advised that ,"No we are fully booked tonight. If you would like it done any quicker you can go down to the cleaners and see them yourself. I'm not willing to do it because like I said they are tired and cranky." I could not believe my ears!!!!!!! This person is in the hospatality industry?????? As I stood there in disbelief I saw MAC the dog lying on the floor in the carpeted dinning area next to the table and chairs ?????

We left and returned about an hour later. The room was cleaned and neat and tidy with a view of the river/ lake from the balcony. The bed was comfortable and all the little things like cups, coffee irons etc were provided, however................there was a slight sewage smell in the bathroom and a knocking of the water pipes in the apartment next door everytime the water was turned on. The batteries were flat in the remote control and the TV reception was ordinary. The air conditioner only just kept the room cool although it was set for 19 degress.

The location of the motel isn't too bad. It is a short stroll to the main street where the shops and restaurants are located.

I will admit that we have stayed at this motel during the peak season...but it is very obvious that they are severly understaffed or are out of there depth running a motel that is to provide comfort, rest and hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank themurgs4
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Admittedly we booked this motel online only a fortnight before we went. We thought we had touched lucky as we were advised that there was only 'One Deluxe room left'. Thinking that this 'Deluxe' room must be better than the average room we booked it. We followed the address given on the web site- and ended up in a totally different motel. The manager of this motel looked totally fed up when we asked him if he knew where the Comfort Inn was - he was busy with his own guests and so sighed and explained that the Comfort Inn had moved around the corner - but the owners had never updated their website and he was cheesed off as he kept getting guests asking if he knew where The Comfort Inn was! We finally turned up at the correct motel and expecting great things from the 'Deluxe' room we had booked - we knew we were in for a disappointment as soon as we saw the front door, the cramped car park and the dirty net curtains at the windows. All of the rooms were the same and there was no 'Deluxe' about any of them! Inside was admittedly clean but very dated. A huge deep old style TV, a huge old fashioned air con unit - that didn't work and a rather worn carpet, together with a clean but very 1970's bathroom. We decided to stay as it was late and the town seemed busy - but on the way out I called into the reception to be greeted by the Manager/Owner. I asked him if we had been put in the wrong room by any chance - he asked me why I was asking and I replied that it wasn't very 'Deluxe'. He retorted that if I wanted my money back I was welcome to it as he could probably fill the room five times over. I explained that the point of my complaint was really the mis advertising of a Deluxe' room - which was in fact no different to ANY of the other rooms on the complex - by the Managers own admission! This Motel does not have any 'deluxe' rooms - they are clean but that is about the sum of them - they are old fashioned and well worn- don't expect 'DELUXE' as you will not get it!

Room Tip: No tips to offer as all room are of the same dreadful standard - very basic and well worn but clean.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Genette F
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We just stayed for a night en-route after reading positive reviews here. There's nothing I'd really contradict - Mac the Dog remains healthy and welcoming and the room was clean. One minor gripe is that there were no bowls in the room although most other implements were there.

Overall - had as comfortable a night as you can in a strange bed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2011

The owners are very friendly and helpful and could direct us to where to view whales from the shore. We saw lots and I even got a view of a whale breaching so very happy. Didn't even have to pay cos no boat fees. Food was fine and room simple but quiet. Very close to everything u need.

We used a living social deal so can't comment on usual cost as I am not sure what it is.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rose_petal78
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We were looking for an inexpensive comfy clean place for the night and were more then pleased with our night at Comfort Inn. The management made us feel quite at home and the included hot brekkie was a great treat on top. We found the area nice and quiet as well. Mac the dog also deserves a schmacko for his wonderful reception manners.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple