“Nature love”

Potoroo Palace
Ranked #4 of 27 things to do in Merimbula
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A small not-for-profit native animal sanctuary nestled in a bushland setting, 9kms north of Merimbula on the Princes Highway. On site cafe provides chemical free, free range and local(all whenever possible) produce, snacks and meals. Delicious coffee and cold beverages available too. Educational books, gifts, t-shirts and souvenirs made in Australia. BBQ and picnic facilities, including a sheltered area inside the park. Complimentary Educational Talks on twice daily, a Potoroo Palace train and bags of nutritional pellets to purchase for hand feeding the free roaming kangaroos and emus. Many iconic native animals to be seen and close up Encounters can be booked. See website for more information.
London, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Nature love”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Dropped by on our walkabouts, as we came across the advert, more to do with seeing kangaroos and other Australian wildlife. Thislace is not your clean cut zoo...and. I'm glad of that, it's rustic and "kept real" and I love it. It was wonderful to see how kids could get close to the animals, but the best part of it all, was the guide, whose passion for the animals and the planet was so genuine and touching, that I almost left wanting to be an activist. We were only going to stop by for some photos for about half an hour but almost three hours later we were saying our goodbyes. We had many fabulous pictures with the kangaroos, birds and koala etc and I'd happily recommend this place.

Visited February 2013

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Up close experience with Australia's special animals.”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We loved Potoroo Palace!

Saw the leaflets at our hotel and as an after thought called to see what the sanctuary was all about.

We wanted to see Kangaroos up close and we were NOT disappointed! The kangaroo experience was memorable and I could feel the excitement that the park provided for young and old alike.

Emus up close and roaming free. Wild colourful birds all around the grounds, free from cages. Very knowledgable and passionate staff on hand to give you explanation on Australia's special animals.

Take your camera and buy the food to help capture the moment. The animals appear very happy at Potoroo Place and made for a most memorable 3 hours!

This park isn't large or modern but it offers a very unique and up close encounter which I will never forget.

Visited February 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Hand-feeding kangaroos - dream come true!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

This spot is amazing. There are dozens if kangaroos milling about, as well as emus. For $1.50 you get a bag of feed to give to them, and the kangaroos come right up and nuzzle you - they like to have their chests scratched too! They were real characters.
It is a great sanctuary, with lovely free-ranging enclosures and a great array of animals and birds. The keepers obviously treat the animals very well, and we learnt a lot from the little info sheets stuck into the fenches. As well as the kangaroos and emus, they have echidnas, possums, wombats, koalas, flying foxes, wallabies, dingos, and of course potoroos! I disagree with the comments that it is overpriced and shabby. It was homely and not overly comercial like a true zoo - I'm sure the animals appreciate the brushland and foliage to play in. Great spot!

1 Thank Abs140
Melbourne
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Did not see the potoroos, but no shortage of other animals”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I visited Potoroo Palace with my 2 boys and a friend who is a regular visitor to the area and he always takes his family there.

It is a not for profit operation, relying on income from visitors and donations as far as I understand. So given that it is run on a shoe string they do a fine job. We joined one of the keepers at feeding time for the kookaburras and echidnas. The keeper was friendly and full of information about the animals and was great with the kids. We were also taken to see the kolas and then on to another keeper to see and touch an olive python. The kids loved it all.

There is a train ride around the park as well, which is really a petrol driven engine not on rails. Potoroo palace is small enough to walk around without paying the extra for the train but the small children loved it. It does not take very long, although our trip was longer than usual thanks to running out of peterol by the koala enclosure, and noisy. I would not recommend it for adults if you are not trying to amuse small children.

We ate at the cafe there which has a vegetarian menu. The spinach pie was good as was e coffee. We sat out on the veranda to eat which is better than sitting inside amongst the usual souvenirs etc.

We will be back again I'm sure

Visited January 2013
“Very good”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We loved the little Potoroo Palace. My boys loved the train and the fact that you can actually feed the animals. They loved the kangaroos