The moment we stepped off the plane, we knew that this was going to be a special holiday. The first person to greet us was Libby who took us under her wing with her typical Lord Howe Island welcome. Capella Lodge is a beautiful resort located in the south of the island away from the hustle and bustle of the settlement. Capella Lodge is ideal for that quiet romantic getaway and we chose to book the Capella Suite, the lowest level but it was more than adequate for the two of us. We had plenty of space, a large bathroom and a small balcony deck. The view over the two mountain peaks when you wake in the morning is breathtaking. We wanted to see and do as much as we could in our 8 days so, other than sleeping, we spent very little time in the room. We so enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, meeting all the other guests for a cocktail before dinner, plenty of chatting and getting to know each other. The food was spectacular especially the Tuesday night degustation. We were so lucky to have arrived on a Tuesday and left on a Wednesday to be able to have experienced two of these degustation nights. The kitchen team is pretty adventurous and manages to excite the guests with some pretty amazing tastes and presentations. One that springs to mind is thin shards of “burnt carrot” with venison which sounded a bit “out there” but we gave it a go. On its own the burnt carrot tasted unusual but put together with the rare venison and the red wine jus, it was unbelievably good. Well done Chef!
On our first day, we organised bicycles and helmets, both provided by the resort and were allocated solely for our use for the 8 days. The bikes are pretty much a necessity since most places to visit, including the main settlement, are about 4km from the resort – not to worry if you cannot (or don’t want to) ride a bike; Libby and Mark will arrange transport wherever you want to go. We cycled and walked everywhere. We did Ned’s Beach and fed the fish, we hiked up to Goats House Cave, to Rocky’s Run, to Boat Harbour and to Malabar Hill. We did lunch at the Anchorage and the Museum and we did the glass bottom boat and snorkeled in the Lagoon. Here are by far the best corals we’ve seen on all our travels. There is so much to do and to see and I swear we came away fitter than when we arrived.
We send a huge thanks to Libby and Mark and all the Capella crew for making these 8 days so special. My wife was blown away by her birthday celebrations. Even the whole restaurant sang for her birthday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrated as the pinnacle of luxury on World Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island, Capella Lodge rests atop romantic Lovers Bay. An inspired architectural design welcomes spectacular views of the ocean, reef and mountains into the Lodge.A short flight from Australia’s east coast transports visitors to a real ‘treasure island’. Capella’s nine contemporary island-style suites are designed to complement Lord Howe’s pristine natural environment. Luxurious surrounds, exceptional island-inspired dining and unforgettable ‘first-name’ service combine to create an outstanding Lord Howe Island lodging experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MrandMrsSmith so you can book your Capella Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capella Resort All Inclusive
- Capella Hotel Lord Howe Island