“A Great Family or Individual Retreat”
Review of Pinetrees Lodge

Pinetrees Lodge
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Like the family run historic inns and lodges of the California Coast and Hawaii, Pinetrees Lodge tucked behind the shoreline of Lord Howe Island is a comfy retreat, meal-inclusive gourmand and wine haven plus a tradition of restful grace. Holding up to 80 guests in a variety of homey units without the distraction and noise of TVs, radios and cell phones, it’s a fitting close to my ten days here where my comforting unit offers me a cocoon and the great assortment of people here make it a lively dinner conversation venue if you want it.

It finely balances modern touches like iPod Sound Docks without sacrificing the traditional housing and central lodge which has indoor and outdoor dining. Sushi, kingfish sashimi and outstanding fish and chips are the go for Friday and each night’s dinner was a delight. I’ll be coming back here soon. Lord Howe is a wondrous destination, uncrowded, welcoming and diverse in attractions without being any way touristy. It truly is ‘The Last Paradise’ and Pinetrees is its longest running accommodation.

Oh and regarding the rat bait that the other person found, there is a concerted effort on the island by all citizens and businesses to eliminate rats which kill fauna here and have been on the island only since a ship wrecked here. There are traps around the island where birds breed as well as individual baits where the animals might come. It is not an indication of any problem here. I'm a country boy and used to spotting them. I haven't seen one in the ten days I've been on Lord Howe.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank trippsterSydney
Rachael_McFadyen, General Manager at Pinetrees Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thanks for your feedback tripster. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes we are a family business with myself ( rachael) my husband Jim, Dani and Luke looking after Pinetrees.

The beauty of no TV's, radios and mobile phones gives us that uniqueness and also the opportunity for our guests to really "getaway" from it all.

Thankyou for mentioning the rat baits and how we DONT use them or even have them here at Pinetrees. You are correct in that the local government body utilises traps but not us here at Pinetrees.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We had to stay at Pinetrees for 1 night due to flight cancellation. We were in a family suite to our suprise in the bedroom on the floor in clear sight was rat sack. Pinetrees is a family resort.
We had no clock,phone or television which is fine. The dinner at night was fine breakfast very basic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NanapaMelbourne
Management response:Responded March 29, 2012

This review is entirely inaccurate and offensive. We have reported this review to TripAdvisor on the basis that it does not meet TripAdvisor’s guidelines. We have asked TripAdvisor to remove this review immediately.

Pinetrees does not use ratsak or any other rat poison in its rooms. If the reviewer had raised this concern with us at the time, we could have cleared it up on the spot. The reviewer’s flight was cancelled, onward connections missed and they were unable to return to their hotel – no doubt a stressful and difficult situation. We are very sorry that they did not enjoy their experience at Pinetrees. However, the central allegation is simply untrue.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Lord Howe Island is an escape away from the world, I adore the island, but when i am paying as much as Pinetrees costs I don't expect to have a showerhead that is green, covered in lime or whatever it was. To have the staff appear totally disinterested and forget my drink, food or mix up orders again and again and appear disheveled and hungover.

Yes, the food was exceptional. The dessert buffet was amazing and we had seconds.
But it was disappointing and when we return we'll go elsewhere for the same experience.
The picnic baskets a great idea.

Maybe we went on an off week.
We did meet Jim, he was a nice guy, friendly.
And one of the chefs helped us out with island hints.

But for the price there are many other islands i could visit and pay to get upgraded to somewhere nice with exceptional service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank OutandaboutAus
Reviewed February 5, 2012

At first glance this appears to be an expensive holiday, but when you consider effort required to feed yourself, cook it, clean up, this becomes reasonable value. Great service, friendly staff, relaxes, simple delicious food..would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Beezil
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at Pinetrees for 5 nights...And if we go back, will stay there again! As a family run business they've managed to maintain their hospitality, friendliness and personalized service.
The accommodation is basic and clean. (They do provide fresh beach towels everyday, which is an awesome idea if you think about it!) The food is great! We ate in everyday and still weren't bored. Yummy and fresh!
As lunch options, you can either eat in, get sandwiches or a BBQ pack. Get the BBQ pack! They will deliver teh picnic basket and esky to which ever beach you want and pick it up for you. Best.Idea.Ever!
However, I have to make a special comment on the staff. They are friendly and watch out for you. I like sweet breakfasts, and as their hot buffet didnt have many sweet options, my friend asked them if they could do french toast..Next morning, they actually served me with french toast, without us mentioning it again!
Price wise, as the package includes food, it turns out to be quite reasonable, considering how expensive LDH can get.
Overall, the staff was great, the accommodation good, the food amazing and I wont hesitate to say, they made our trip better in several ways!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Global_Traveller_Syd
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Pinetrees provided one of the most enjoyable holidays I've experienced.
The staff are unfailingly friendly.
The food was particularly good - and of course it is all provided. This includes facilities for a barbecue lunch at a beach of your choice.
The accommodation is all you could require, and we were off around the island on walks, snorkelling, taking boat rides, and riding bikes and enjoying the stunning setting.

Room Tip: We had a room without a separate lounge. This was quite enough, as we were interested to get out and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brian W
Reviewed November 26, 2011

As soon as you glide down over the sparkling turquoise lagoon and step onto a runway dwarfed by two imposing basalt mountains, you realise that LHI is a serene spectacular place to relax and unwind. We were greeted personally by the charming owner of Pinetrees, Jim McFadgen. He took us for a little tour in his minibus, telling us a wealth of information on the way to the resort. We really felt like we were staying with friends, as the staff were so polite and accommodating. The delicious meals were 5 star gourmet standard and the seafood could not have been fresher! I loved sunset drinks at the boatshed on lagoon beach, with attentive staff circulating platters of tasty canapes. We also enjoyed the BBQ lunch option, where staff deliver an esky chock full of yummy food to any beach you choose, then pick it all up later. Every morning I walked 1km up Transit Hill directly behind the resort to enjoy a spectacular 360 degree view as I did my stretches...and offset the calories I enjoyed the day before. I HIGHLY recommend this resort as the most comprehensive way I have found to relax and enjoy a holiday. Please don't tell too many people!

Room Tip: The Transit Hill rooms are my choice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family