“The rewards match the effort!”
Review of Mt Gower

Mt Gower
Reviewed April 21, 2013

More a climb than a hike. Last 400 or so meters up the rock verticals are at times slippery, dangerous and precarious. The cloud forest is unique and beautiful. Views spectacular. Had I known how serious it was I might not have gone, but I am glad I did. Lots of hikers downplay it btw - stoic attitudes. Guide Jack was great.

2  Thank filterfed

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My partner and I did this trek in December 2012 with Dean Hiscox (LHI Environmental Tours). We're fairly fit thirtysomethings, and after reading all the reviews we were expecting a tough walk... and it lived up to expectations! The walk took us about 8 hours including lots of breaks. I was glad to have worn proper hiking boots for ankle protection, as there were plenty of opportunities to twist an ankle on the descent. It's a long, hot sweaty walk that will get your heart rate going, but the views are amazing! We also were closely acquainted with a flightless Lord Howe Island woodhen. Dean is a knowledgeable but quiet guide... we were more than happy with him.
Tip: Pack shoes with ankle support and some shorts – it's too hot to do the hike in long pants.

2  Thank peechan99
Reviewed April 13, 2013

You start off (after a flat walk along the beach) with a heart-stopping almost vertical rope climb - this is the 2nd steepest section of the walk - then you are soon into traversing the cliff face with safety helmets and ropes. Views are amazing, Jack was an entertaining and very informed guide. Do it. It should be on everyone's Bucket List!. Memorable "David Attenborough moment" when Jack called in the Providence Petrels to join our walkers!... like calling your dog, these birds just come and sit in your hands to be stroked!. I loved the adrenalin rope climbing and the sense of achievement at the top as you drink in what has to be one of the world's best views...

2  Thank Moo499
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After an early start on a beautiful morning our large group set off Jack had a helper today because of our large group , he stayed at the back to keep up the tail (where I spent most of my time) it was a quick pace from the get go but think without this you might never get up and back in time. This is a grade 5 hike for sure, but for me it felt a lot like rock climbing as we scrambled up ropes and rocks until our lunch spot at the top .The views are fantastic and you feel on top of the world having used lots energy to get there .Jack called out to the petrel birds and in they flew landing with a thud. A few pictures and off we go on the way down , now this is no easier in fact for me this was the hardest as I was scared that a slip and off the mountain I would go, but with slow careful steps and using the ropes to get down that last little bit did seem forever , but the reward of looking back up at that mountain later in the evening with a glass of wine thinking I walked that mountain today gives you a great satisfaction .So if you are fit enough and ready for one of your great challenges in life this is for you , it hard and tiring but with everyone giving each other encouragement for me I'm really glad I have done it as its something I will always remember it a fantastic hike but not for the faint hearted that's for sure

1  Thank suzric
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a magic day! We were a large group (20), with a complete variety of ages and fitness levels - but everyone made it there and back (eventually). The guided 875m Mt Gower challenge ($50 with Jack), we're talking hands and knees (in places), ropes, hard hats, cliff edges... 8+ hours of it. It's definitely not for the faint hearted, acrophobic or unfit. To get the most out of the day and actually enjoy it, a high fitness level is key we would say! The views on the way up, and at the top were a real reward, as was the up close experience with the Providence Petrels. Takes a couple of days after to recover and walk like a normal human being again... The oldest climber so far was 85.5 years old - amazing! Do it, you won't regret it - just get steep stepping in preparation.