“Divine” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our dinner at Chah Bah was a very pleasant surprise. We both agreed that the menu was inviting, and the food was beautifully presented and tasted even better. The scallops entree was amazing. The staff were friendly and attentive. We look forward to our next fine dining experience there.

“Fabulous Birthday Treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wonderful hubby decided to take me out for a lovely birthday lunch...but where to go?
As locals,we have a fair idea of what's on offer, who doesn't change their menus, location, food, service, value for money etc. I wanted to eat somewhere by the sea, so we parked up in the heart of Lennox and embarked on a leisurely stroll to check out the menus of various eateries. After a crossing a couple off the list, we stopped at The Chah Bah to check it out. We had eaten there plenty of times (as the previous restaurant) but never as this new and inviting little gem. Within 1 minute of reading the menu, we were sold, so decided to have a walk on the beach, build up an appetite and head back later.

We were greeted on our return with the utmost friendly welcome and told we could sit anywhere. The restaurant was surprisingly empty, so we chose a prime spot with the perfect sea view that I had hoped for. We ordered drinks to start and began to peruse the menu. We are both self confessed foodies and we love to take our time to enjoy good food, so decided to choose a number of starters to share, but to come out in stages.....then order some mains later on. (Which we were assured, wasn't a problem) Frankly it would be impossible for me to choose just one starter as they all sounded wonderful. The menu itself is varied, appealing and most importantly different. Too many times, we are disheartened to find the 'same old dishes' on menus these days, so what a refreshing change! Plus the concept of 'Mediterranean' tells me to expect a variety of cuisine - and that's what we got! We opted for Iluka sardines on bruschetta, Kefalograviera with fig paste and grilled red pepper, salt cod fritters with aioli and char grilled baby octopus with lemon and garlic (not all at once!!!)
My husband decided on the pork belly for main course and I chose the mixed fish grill. Both delicious - ingredients treated with respect - i.e. not smothered in crazy sauces, cooked to perfection and full of flavour. The portion size is huge, so value for money is about as good as it gets (way better than any of the local competition). The ONLY criticism - and this is very slight, is that the plates were cold, so something fatty like Pork Belly goes cold very quickly - the fish too - obviously I am aware of the possibilities of it overcooking (especially the scallops), but even if the plate was 'just warm' it would have been a little better. (There are no other negatives)
The wine list was also varied - again, what a pleasant surprise! I read in an earlier review of The Chah Bah - 'that it was a shame that there was only 1 Sauvignon' ) Well thank goodness for that!! Every other wine list in the local vicinity (not all!) consists of mainly Sauvinon Blanc, Chardonnay, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. So it was great to see some other varietals- especially ones from their native origins! I opted for an Italian Pinot Grigo, to compliment my very seafoody lunch, which on thinking about it maybe after 4 or 5 glasses - I should have just got the bottle....well it was exceptionally good! My husband had a couple of beers - from the again, good variety on offer.
(Some time) later we 'forced' ourselves to look at the dessert menu....in which we spotted the cheese selection, which we shared (amazing value for money and lovely accompaniments) NB try some Kumquat with a bit of blue - you won't be sorry!.....Then we shared the poached pear with the most deliciously cooked rice puddingy loveliness I have EVER tried. it was a swoon fest of the highest order! The St Clair Pinot Noir went down vary well in accompaniment (too full for dessert wine!)

Okay, so you don't have to eat as much as we did, but it was my birthday and we took a serious amount of time over this meal. We thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. The service was faultless. The guys showed good product knowledge, passion and great personality. Just what you need in a successful restaurant. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this will be an extremely successful restaurant and a favourite with locals and tourists alike (if it's not already!( After all the place has only been open a little over 7 months - so they are probably still finding their feet - but I would urge you to give them a go - the value for money is incredible, the ingredients are treated with the respect they deserve, the menu is wonderful and so is the service. The music......well that's another story!!! Can't wait to come back. (and try one of the delicious sounding cocktails!) Congratulation Chah Bah - you have won over 2 difficult and hard to please customers.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Bubbelicious
Lockhart, Australia
“Service with a grill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Excellent service is the standout. Tasty and well cooked moderate menu. Wine range adequate with a vintage list; prices are a standout

• Visited September 2012
Australia
“Very enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Could not fault the service - very attentive , friendly & obviously proud of their restaurant. Food was spot on - we had blue eyed cod & lamb shish kebabs for mains - both had lovely flavor. Chocolate dessert was to die for! Will certainly be back

Lennox Head, Australia
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Chah Bah suggests to diners that it is a Meditteranean grill restaurant, however, I found the actaul cuisine a little lost. The entrees we ordered were bland and not presented very well (sardines, lamb kofta and falafel). Our mains were more tasty, the steak was delicious and well cooked, and the salmon (although not very well presented) was well cooked and the condiments were nice. The desserts were the biggest let down of the night. The sounded so good on the menu, but just didn't live up to the expectations at all.
Service was friendly and relatively quick. The chef walking around with a beer in hand wasn't a necessarily good look.
Prices are reasonable. All in all it was an average dining experience. I wasn't disappointed, but I won't be rushing back.

• Visited August 2012