“Could do a better job my self at home.”
Review of Baja - CLOSED

Baja
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to try this place since it was fairly new in town and because of the better than average reviews on trip advisor.

Wow were we disappointed. After arriving we were seated at a tiny tiny table, accross from us was a table of 4 sitting on the same sized table I have nonidea how thy managed to negotiate their meal as it was difficult enough for us. The menu looked promising and the appetisers were fairly nice we had the combination of 3 entree for around $15 which was ok. About 2/3 into our entree the waitress arrived with our main course??!! And seemed pretty unhappy when we said we were still having our starters, where did they think we were going to put it given the tiny table size? Oh and there is still the issue of we hadn't finished out starters!! When we were ready for the main course is was extremely disappointing. I had the combo of 3 tacos I chose the pork style what arrive were underdone store bought taco shells possibly home brand by the dull taste and chewy texture with a few scraps of over done old roast pork with absolutely no seasoning what so ever lying miserably in the bottom covered by a huge quantity of clearly store bought ready grated cheese still covered in the floury powder from the packet that prevents it from sticking together, about 1/2 a cup of iceburg lettuce and some tomato and sour cream. I make better tacos myself at home so to have to front up $15 for 3 sub par tacos did not impress me. My partner ordered the fajitas which he had with chorizo was much nicer than mine, but did now come our sizzling on cast iron more like warm swimming in sauce, I'm pretty sure that they just left our previous meals from when we were having our entree under the heat lamps to spoil. We finished the meal with churos, clearly not made in house due to the machine style regular shape and stodgy texture. The chocolate sauce was ok but nothing special at all. Overall a bit of a waste of $70 and we won't be returning.

1  Thank Rozzmozz
There are newer reviews for Baja

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Baja leaves the old-school Cooly mex restaurants for dead.

The food is fresh, non-greasy and the service is outstanding.

Definitely worth the trip over the border if you normally dine in Coolangatta!

We'll be returning to Baja very regularly!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great little Mexican restaurant near Cudgen Beach. Very accommodating with long summer trading hours. When others were closed they were open and very welcoming. Only good though if you love Mexican food and great local boutique beer deals.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Was wandering by this restaurant with my family (wife and 3 kids under 14) and decided to book into here for the evening meal as it looked like a fun place to eat.

The kids had the children's meal (Nacho's, soft drink and churro with chocolate) which was brilliant value for $10.90. I had the seafood enchilada's and my wife had the chorizo and mushroom chimachanga. Both our meals were lovely, especially the seafood enchilada. My wife's jug of Sangria arrived after our complimentary shot glass of frozen margarita, and we both enjoyed it very much.

We had not heard or read anything about this place prior to our visit, and so booked in on a whim. We were very glad we did do so and should we find ourselves holidaying in this part of the north coast again we will be sure to visit.

All in all it was a wonderful meal; The atmosphere was very nice, the wait staff were very attentive and the food was delicious.

1  Thank Sydneymax
Reviewed January 7, 2013

this was out fourth visit to baja so that says something about the food and location! The first visit was not a great experience - the service was slow and unenthusiastic and the food very average but we have persevered because it was a new restaurant and there are always little things that neede to be sorted out. The second and third visit found the food much improved, the drinks are great prices and the location fantastic. Our visit this past weekend proved a bit frustrating, the restaurant ( sunday lunchtime ) was around half full but there was still an issue with the food arriving not hot enough and some of the mains being brought out before entrees had been finished. Aslo, half our party had finished their mains before the other half had been served theirs. Having said that, the service was friendly and the meals were really nice, its a lovely restaurant - will keep trying it