“Don't risk it” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mantra on Salt Beach
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kingscliff
“Don't risk it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Don’t risk it is my summary. I have stayed all over the world and never given a bad review here – this is my first. As you can see there are many varied comments, some good, some bad. That should be the first warning sign. I can see if you have a trouble free stay how this place would be a great holiday – the problem is too many of us seem to have problems!

Mine started with a stay at Mantra for my birthday weekend in November. I am a Club C U Soon member and booked through there. But when I arrived I was in a disabled room. What this means is the bathroom and shower feel like you are in a hospital – it is a really poor experience for a weekend away. I understand they have disabled rooms and if the hotel is booked they may have to use them – but the guests should be told this and either given a discount or given the option to not book because the hotel is full.

I rang reception and asked to be moved and were told they were full. A few minutes later they rang back and moved us – which I am eternally grateful. But even the move was fraught with problems – they booked the new people into the room before we had even vacated. The new family turned up while we were still there – very awkward. Which also meant they did not check the room between us exiting and the new family staying. I felt very sorry for the new family. I even got a follow up phone call later that day saying we had left some of our bags in our öld room - not so, these were the bags of the new family staying there. The mix ups continued...

We were also told when we checked in that breakfast had been added to our stay. No, I did not book with breakfast, but they told us they were giving it to us - again we were happy for a moment. But when we went for breakfast the next day, we were told we were not on the sheet. They rang reception – nope, we were not getting breakfast. I went to reception to discuss this and explain we were given breakfast when we checked in – we were still told we were not getting breakfast and that they had no record of us being told that and we should not have been told that. No apology, no explanation for the mix up – one minute we were told we were being given it, then they took the offer away. We ended up paying for breakfast anyway, but that is because it was 10am and we were already there and did not have a plan b.

The facilities are just okay too – I have stayed in far better. The resort covers a lot of ground – it is a rabbit warren – so you could walk for a very long time and not get to your room. Similarly the small pool is tiny for a resort this size. And most of the rooms look out over car parks or into other people's front yards and houses!!

Salt Village is okay, but I found the service very ordinary. This village has 3 big resorts surrounding it so clearly does not have to work hard for their clientele and this shows.

And don’t get me started on the pizza restaurant in Salt Village. The rudest rip off merchants I have ever seen. Do not eat there.

The one shining light was the Day Spa at Peppers – the Golden Door Spa. It was divine. Definitely treat yourself.

But all in all one of the worst weekends away I have had (and we do this about 4-5 times a year) - there are many other choices far better.

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate in your booking "No disabled room"" Also ask for a room faci...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vanessa542
MantraSalt, General Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hi Vanessa,

I thankyou for your honest opinion of the resort it's layout and the surrounding facilites of the Salt Village. Some of these mentioned are out of my direct control,however so disspointing to read about the service and the mishaps which occured during your stay.

I sincelery apologise for the shortcomings during this stay. This is not what our guests have come to expect of this resort or a standard we pride ourselves on.

I have passed this feedback through to all team members who I know will be devestated with the comments.

Vanessa, please accept my apologies.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights during early September, a little early for me to swim but a few kids were enjoying the pool.

This hotel was nice, clean and friendly staff. No complaints at all. They even moved us as our first room felt like people in the restaurant could see directly into our room, that was very kind of the staff.

Buffet breakfast was nice, not as efficient as Peppers though and sometimes had to wait but it's not a major issue.

We wanted to try this hotel after staying at Peppers and loving it, so my review is a little more of a comparison.

Personally, I'd rather spend an extra $20 or so a night and stay at Peppers, it's a bit more private (Mantra's rooms circle the pool), the movies are free in the room if you feel like chilling out, I thought the breakfast was a bit better - hey isn't that what holidays are for?? eating heaps, and they will give you a free late checkout if they can (Mantra will charge). I found that Mantra was a bit more of a family resort which isn't really what we are after.

Some positive points...
- The bathroom was really nice, and our room came with a bath that had jets, really nice bath gels and moisturisers.
- The room is huge for a "resort room" it had a little dining area, a kitchen, washing machine etc, bedroom that had cheeky blinds to the bathroom and some deck chairs to chill on the balcony, I enjoyed that a lot.
- The pool looked nice too even though I didn't brave it.
- The staff were all so friendly and welcoming.

In conclusion, I would stay here again but I think for a special couples occasion I'd rather spend a little extra at Peppers.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask to be moved, they might not be able to but they were very helpful for our...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TiffTiph
Good Morning,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay late last year. It is fantastic to see you have chosen this destination again for a getaway.

This destination has great facilites and surrounds to make it an attractive resort for families. I thank you for your comments on our staff. Our team do strive to ensure our guests have the best possible experience and service,

Wishing you a fantastic New Year,

Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Great for families. Stay away from rooms over restaurants and pool area. Beautiful beach without the crowds of people. Pool has graduated entry for little kids. Some pleasant grass areas. Staff friendly. Had a minor prob but were comped with free breakfast. Easy day trip to Byron. Easy walk to shops. Kids eat free on certain nights at local pub. Will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Roystar2013
MantraSalt, Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us over this festive time.

Mantra Salt is a great destination for families and has many of the 'simple' outdoor pleasures to enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed your time and look forward to weloming you back in the new year!

brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in a privately owned (not booked through resort) 2 bedroom apartment. We had a room overlooking a nice garden and beautifully maintained grass area. Plenty of room for the kids to kick a ball around. I don't think I would like to be close to the restaurants or pool area, too noisy and busy. The resort was booked out for the weekend but in our wing it didn't feel busy at all. There was a nice BBQ in the garden and well cleaned each day. We stayed on the first floor and preferred this for the kids as they could easily get out to the grassed area, and easy for us to keep an eye on them. The facilities are all nice. We had breakfast buffet one morning which I thought was nice, but average, but felt ok because kids under 12 get to eat free with each paying adult, so got some value there. The apartments are not large, but adequate for our stay. We didn't have beach views, but it made no difference to us afterall we were only 20 seconds walk from the beach. We enjoyed a trip to Final Head lighthouse, 10 minutes drive away, lucky to see many dolphins riding the waves, so if you have a car make the trip. The kids should bring there bikes, but be sure to also bring a chain to lock them up in the Mantra car park. The beach was nice, the holiday was nice, we would come again.

Room Tip: away from the pool and restaurants, ask for one overlooking a nice grassed area so the kids can easi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tim3513
Hi there,

Nice to hear you enjoyed Salt. Great to hear you enjoyed the breakfast- little things which Mantra have included in our daily packages.

Would love to welcome you back.

Management
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We booked five nights at Mantra on Salt as we wanted a relaxing break away. We were very impressed with the accommodation and area, we were certainly able to relax, even though it was the start of the school holidays and there were more people arriving as the weekend went on.

We asked for a room away from the restaurants (as suggested by other Trip Advisor reviewers) and were happy to be in a quieter block, away from any potential noise. We stayed in a one bedroom spa suite, which was more than adequately furnished etc, we had everything we needed if we wanted to eat in.

We'd highly recommend Season for an evening meal and we enjoyed walking into Kingscliff for breakfast a couple of times (approximately 30 minutes walk).

We don't usually go back to somewhere we have been, as we figure there are so many places in the world to see, however, we will definitely return to Mantra on Salt for another relaxing break!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurants and bar
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rebeccapotter78
Relaxing is a word we love to hear from all our guests.

Your 5 days with us was the ample amount of time to enjoy all there is to offer at Salt.

Glad to hear you loved Season restuarant -It is truly well worth a visit.

The team at Mantra thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards

Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here after winning the door prize at an event earlier in 2012.

The room we were presented was on the northern side of the building and the ocean could be seen from the private balcony. Our room had a very good bed, seating and table plus a deep wide bath, which we appreciated. We were able easily enjoy our few nights although the weather was not fantastic.

The staff were pleasant even though they were dealing with many people who seemed to be there for a conference.

During our stay, we managed to cycle to the neighbouring towns that dot the northern rivers coastal region.

We tried various restaurants in the area plus in the neighbouring towns (which we preferred).

Still - over all - this was a pleasant stay by the beach

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MantraSalt, Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay.

I do love to hear of our guests, relaxing and utlising the surrounds of the village while here.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here several times on weekends to get away from the city and just relax. Kingscliffe is just over the NSW border an easy 2 hour drive from Brisbane. Parking is plentiful and close to the entrance. Once inside you marvel at the pool and surrounds opening up in front of you and the sea beyond. The hotel is situated right on the beach which stretches for many kilometres in both directions. There is a patrolled beach for the kids but most often you have the beach to yourself. The rooms are lovely, finished off nicely with stunning views. All are air conditioned with kitchenettes if you dont want to attend anyone of the fine eatries downstairs. We love the place and would recommend it to any traveller.

Room Tip: The twin rooms with sea views are the best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark T
Good morning!

Thank you for your kind words.
It was great to hear you love Salt and the resort.

Look forward to welcoming you back real soon..

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingscliff
Santai Retreat
#1 of 5 in Kingscliff
Paradiso Resort Kingscliff
Paradiso Resort Kingscliff
#2 of 4 in Kingscliff

Been to Mantra on Salt Beach? Share your experiences!