3,644 results
All reviewsocean viewthe gold coastmain poolgreat resorthotel roomtennis courtsbyron bayspa suiterelaxing staytropical poolbuffet breakfastsalt beachbottle shopone bedroom apartmentshort breakself containedgreat facilities
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Let me start by saying that before I booked this trip I was checking out trip advisor daily for reviews of the Mantra. I was seeing some that were good and some not so good so was a bit hesitant as I was booking a 7 night stay for a family 'summer' holiday. Despite the negative reviews I went ahead and booked and have to say we had a great time. All my dealings with the staff were extremely positive - no one was rude to me at all and everyone was very helpful. This began with Reservations staff all the way through to Reception, Restaurant staff etc. We had someone help us with luggage to the room, helped us book a rental car, all sorts of things and it was all done with a smile and friendly efficient service. The only thing I can think of that we asked for and they could not provide was an additional luggage rack for suitcases but I think they only had a limited number.

The weather didn't co-operate which was a shame as we only had about 2.5 days where it was nice enough to swim and use the beach but seriously this resort is lovely for families. It is so close to the beach which is patrolled, the pool is nice and the kids heated pool is fine too although as far as I could tell it did not seem much warmer than the main pool. There is a play park with swings and climbing equipment. There are lots of bunnies in the grassed area which is part of the resort and the kids LOVE it. You can go in there and see them, chase them, feed them if you want. It is such a nice thing for them to do.

Rooms - we booked a 2 bedroom deluxe suite which was terrific. It was spacious, clean, nice bathrooms, had flat screen televisions in each room (if you are into that), fully equipped kitchen, balcony with ocean views and as requested it was very quiet for most of the stay as it was at the far end of the resort. A bit of a walk but not that bad and we prefered a quieter room. We did have a noise issue on the Saturday night with a room a few doors down partying on the balcony at 2:30am but I called reception and it did seem to quieten down after that.

Housekeeping - the rooms are not serviced daily so if you want that you will need to pay extra. I knew that and to be honest it was not a big deal as with two small children it always seems to be a pain to time naps with servicing etc. We were entitled to a mid stay service which was meant to be happening on Day 5 and I did request it to be done by a certain time before my baby needed to sleep and unfortunately they did not make it because they were busy with turning over the rooms for arrivals - mildly annoying but I wasn't too worried because we got new towels delivered when we needed them. We ate some meals in the room and just emptied the rubbish when it was full. You just get the lift to B instead of 1 and drop the rubbish in the bin right outside the lift. Maybe some people don't want to have to do this on a holiday but for us it was no big deal and part of staying in an apartment as opposed to a hotel room.

Restaurants - quite a few restaurants to choose from at the resort. Loved Salt Bean Cafe, Coffee is awesome - Bun Coffee from Byron Bay - and believe me I am very particular about my coffee. We ate at Bellini which was nice, we had take away from Salt Pizza which was ok, We ate at the Tavern twice - the food is decent and there is a kids play area which keeps them entertained. We ate lunch at Surge Pool Cafe/Restaurant for lunch twice and it was good. We also ordered take away Thai from the Thai restaurant at the resort and it was excellent. So overall I think there are some great options to choose from. We wanted to try Fins and Season over at Peppers but with two very active kids we just thought we would not enjoy it the way we wanted to.

Activities - I had one treatment at Golden Door which was good. I also used the onsite health clinic - Ion Health - and saw the Osteopath as I had a back injury. He was fantastic and very thorough. Just a bonus that he happened to be there I guess. We went to Kingscliff markets on the Saturday and enjoyed wandering around looking at the stalls. Lots of natural products and maybe some sellers from the Byron Bay area. We actually ended up buying quite a lot of different things, food items, creams etc. It was nice. We hired a car for 4 days and used it to go to Tropical Fruit World which was enjoyable despite the abysmal weather. Actually a long tour and intersting ifnormation provided about lots of different fruits grown there. There is a tasting and loads of fantastic and unusual sauces, jams, condiments to sample and buy. It includes an open air ride through the plantation, a boat ride, mini train ride and you get to see some animals as well, macadami nut cracking. Good for the kids and we enjoyed it too.
My husband and eldest daughter hired one of the 4 seater bicycles and took it for a ride along the path that goes to Kingscliff - they had fun.

Overall I would say that despite terrible weather we tried to make the most of it. It is a wonderful resort and we would go back. Family friendly, lots to do and helpful pleasant staff. Lots of food and beverage options and we had a great time.

Room Tip: If you want to have a true 2 bedroom apartment where both bedrooms open out into a common living area then you need to request that room type. Most are dual entry which is 2 rooms with only a common entry way - not good if you have young children.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KMG2011
Reviewed December 14, 2011

If you are after a break from the Gold Coast but still want the beautiful beaches and classy restaurants then this is the place to stay.
We stayed for two nights and although the weather was average we had an excellent stay. Staff were friendly, the pools and the facilities were great, close to restaurants and beach and nice cozy rooms. The breakfast was amazing and one of the better ones that I have experienced in stays around the world. I enjoyed the balcony on the room as it offered views of the beach.
Overall it was a quiet resort but in the room we stayed in there was a door that two rooms opened into a little room to two hotel rooms and this was a bit noisy as you could hear the other people in the room open and sometimes slam two doors before they were in their room.

This is a great place for a romantic getaway or just to relax for a while. I would recommend to all family and friends and if I get the chance will be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Tired of the sleazy nightclubs, high density and crime in central Surfers Paradise and some other parts of the Gold Coast? Then Mantra at Salt and its newer, more costly cousin Peppers at Salt are great alternatives.

PROS: While its nearing a decade of operation, the Mantra at Salt is still a 4 star resort property at moderate prices. Directly on a quiet, endless patrolled beach, Mantra at Salt features a pristine beach, 4 star air conditioned accommodation in a safe, family environment. ($129/nt and up). Enjoy Austar cable TV on flat panel TV with at least 15 channels. With recent highway upgrades the Mantra at Salt is just 15 Minutes from Gold Coast Airport at Coolangatta and Tweed Heads malls and 25 mins to Robina Rown Centre.

The restaurant precinct around Salt includes the award winning Fins Seafood Restaurant from Byron Bay. Also adjacent is an upmarket pub, bottle shop, about five other cafes/eateries and clothing boutiques. The quiet upmarket tone of the resort is very family friendly and romantic and does not attract rowdy teens like parts of the Gold Coast. Loved the balcony in each room. Peppers at Salt is adjacent and newer, but more expensive and generally further from the beach.

CONS: The wireless internet available in guest rooms is a bit pricey i.e. approx $25/day. The range of dining choices is limited at Salt and can be expensive, so you are a bit captive unless you drive to nearby Kingscliff.(6kms) where there is a cinema. full Woolworth's supermarket, George Paragon Seafood Express, a Subway etc and several cafes and sporting clubs.. The bed in our room was reasonable but have slept on better.

CONCLISION: A perennial favouirte for a romantic getaway or a safe family holiday

Room Tip: The Ocean View Rooms are best . Go mid week and save. Compatre prices on Mantra's website to the online hotel booking sites for yhe best price.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The choice of eating in and cooking yourself or attending the very high quality restaurants abutting the resorts is ideal. The degustation with matched wines at Fins was outstanding and the morning coffee at Salt Expresso is as good as it gets.

The weather was good for the pores and the beach clean, fresh and reasonably void of people.
The staff were polite and helpful at all times.

Room Tip: Buy your basic food before you get there as the local IGA is great but expensive
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

After reading some other reviews on this website I was a bit hesitant to stay at this resort.
I have previously stayed at Peppers on Salt beach which is a bit more pricey however I found Peppers to be beautiful. Well worth the price.
There were people on here saying the rooms aren't clean, mould in the toilet, blah blah blah.
I really think that these people need to chill out and actually enjoy their stay rather than continue to pick at everything and anything.

Our one bedroom room was perfect (and I assure you I am a clean freak and I would not get in the shower if it was dirty), our room was roomy enough for the 2 of us and has excellent facilities such as a fully equipped kitchen, spa bath, outdoor sun lounge, movies, etc, etc. Couldn't have asked for more.
Mantra is in a excellent location, right on the beach (better location than Peppers on Salt).
Each day we would wake up, make our way down to the amazing breakfast spread and eat on the deck overlooking the huge resort pool before taking a long walk along the beach or one of the walking tracks that are just out the back gate of the resort.
The front door of the resort is practically at the row of shops and restaurants located within the Salt Village where you are spoiled with choice from pizza, pasta, thai, gelato, seafood, etc. And there is also an excellent pub right on the beach at the end of the strip of shops which seems to always be featuring a great band to help you dance the night away.

I had an amazing weekend at Mantra on Salt beach, could not fault it at all. I would highly reccommend the resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top 2 floors have ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple