“Don't agree with bad reviews”

Hunky Dory's at the Wharf
Ranked #58 of 77 Restaurants in Kiama
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Don't agree with bad reviews”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was surprised to read all these bad reviews of Hunky Dory's at the Wharf in Kiama. I eat there every Wednesday with my Father-in-law and the service has always been cheerful and helpful. In fact on occasion when we asked for Blue Grenedier she upgraded the fish to Ocean Perch which was $3 more and charged us for the Blen Glenedier as she wanted us to try, in her view, the superior fish, which was in fact delicious. When we asked for seafood salad and it wasn't available she asked us to just give her a call before we left to go to the restaurant and she would make it up for us. The batter on the fish is crispy and light and you certainly get a good serve of chips. I know there are no rubbish bins in the restaurant (probably due to Health regulations), but there are plenty on the grass verge opposite, only half a dozen steps away.

1 Thank DerekCC_12

Wollongong, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst service I've ever had and the food made me sick”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Yesterday, I invited friends to Kiama for the day and we ate at Hunky Dory's. It was late afternoon, not long before closing time, and surprisingly not a crowd around. The group spent over $100 on a variety of meals.We were rushed with our order, miss understood, frowned upon and then given the worst fish n chips I've tasted!
Today I have felt sick, and been rushing to the bathroom every hour.
Never again will I be eating there and I will never will I recommend the place.
Stay away from this one peeps!

1 Thank tashie_g70
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced horrible food”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Fish and chips were completely overpriced and undercooked. Thought being right on the water the seafood would be fresh, but was mushy and had a certain horrible taste.. Wondering how this business that has so much potential in such a great location can go on with so many disappointed customers.

1 Thank Nic L
Wollongong
“The location is the only good thing.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We spent at least 7 minutes waiting to order with no other customers in front of us - we were waiting at the counter and the staff made eye contact several times but did not bother to say anything or ask for our order. When we were eventually served it was surly and dismissive. No Eftpos.
We found a table that was covered in oil from previous customers and cleaned it up as best we could. When lunch came it was dry and served from a cardboard box. It was over $60 to feed 4 people fish and chips. Fish was dry and overcooked chips were mediocre.
We asked where we could find a bin and were directed across the road to the council bins - they have no bins for customers instead relying on the rubbish bin that the locals rates pay for - considering the price this is way below par.
I have had fish from the takeaway next door which is miles above this place - half the price with friendly service.
I don't know how these owners can write "restaurant" above their door - the overall experience is a cut below your average backstreet takeaway.
I wont be back.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank vv4yno
Sydney, Australia
“Horrible food and abusive staff”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Horribe experience, staff are rude,abusive, and customer service, what is that?
These people abuse the customers that are there business. The food was very expensive for the below average fish served straight from a packet, no fresh seafood here. I paid $44 for two pieces of fish and chips with soft drinks. There are no bins provided in this establishment and as we left we were stood over and yelled at in front of everyone to take our rubbish across the road to the council bins. After abusing a customer who apparently wanted to use the toilet there, the toilets were closed and we were told to use the council toilets in the park. Horrible rude people. I dont know how they are still in business. I wish i read the reviews before i went in.

• Visited July 2013