“Decent dining choice in Kiama”
Review of Mosstique Kiama - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We found this little gem during our short stay. The restaurants in town centre are mostly Pizzeria or Cafes. Unlike Mosstique, which can be classified as a restaurant.

We had our dinner and the price is $25 per head for two courses (main & dessert). Fair enough. The food is great. I had lamb shank and my wife had a fish (don't know the name, the waiter said it's local Australian freshwater fish).

A note tho: the restaurant was so crowd that we had waited at our table for nearly an hour before the main course was served. Still the good food quality made our wait worthwhile.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Entree: crumbed calamari. It was overcooked. The batter/crumbs wqs over cooked, dark and crunchy. The calamari itself was overcooked. It came with sald and dressing. The dressing was a thick type of mayonaise. Not enjoyable. You'd get better from the local fish and chip shop. I was asked about ny entree and I reported that it was overcooked. I expected the chef to come out and apologise. I expected it to be for free. But no. By the way, there was only 5 customers.
Main: steak, potato and greens. I asked for medium rare. It was medium but that was tolerable. I had better at the Grand Hotel up the road the night before for $17. (The night before that it was half price at $8.50.)
It's BYO but didn't bring any. Had 1 bottle of sparkling mineral water which retails for just under $3 at a supermarket.
The table: I chose outside and chose the table so can't complain. The ground was on a slant so this created problems for staff. They did their best with the table but it was not really satsifactory.
The cost? Are you ready? $93. Yes, that's right. $93. Foolishly, I didn't properly check the bill before I paid it. Either it was horribly expensive for what it was or they made a mistake. I can't find a menu on line to check. I feel that the entree was less than $20 - I'm thinking $15. Main meal less than $40. Water? could it be $10? But the bill came to $93. My advice is don't go there.

2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been tossing up whether to try Mosstique for some time because we've had a few disappointments in the restaurant line lately so we took the plunge last Saturday night and went along to listen to some jazz put on by the Kiama Jazz Festival. The group, Ella's Holiday, was terrific and we thoroughly enjoyed the music. The restaurant was full and there was a lovely atmosphere and the food was really, really good! There was a set menu with a couple of choices of entree, main and dessert, for $49.50. The restaurant wasn't licensed and charged $3 per head for corkage. We prefer to pay a small corkage and take our own wine and we were very happy with this. The food was beautifully cooked and the service was very friendly and everything ran smoothly even though it was packed. We will definitely go back to Mosstique even though the jazz won't be there and there will be fewer in the restaurant. We hope that others will patronise this restaurant and we don't lose a very pleasant eating place in Kiama just because it's not on the main drag and is a bit tucked away in Manning Street.