“Fabulous views”
Review of Kiama Cove Motel

Kiama Cove Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kiama
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my partner for one night as we were attending a wedding in Kiama. The owner was very friendly & made us feel welcome upon checking in. We booked the delux balcony room, which had fabulous views of the ocean. Whislt the room wasnt overley large & a little tired, i could not fault the room/bathroom on its cleanliness. The bed & pillows were comfortable & our overall stay was pleasant. Ive read previous reviews complaining about the price of this hotel for what you get, what those people neglect to acknowledge is the fact that all accommodation is expensive in Kiama!!!

Room Tip: Delux balcony room was great, was lovely sitting on the balcony overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2012

The motel was clean, comfortable and quiet. My request for a late check out was not an issue. Motel is only a 10 minute walk to the Main Street and lots of cafes and restaurants. It would be same distance from the blow hole, too. Good stay and would be happy to stay again, although it would be good if they put an alarm clock in the room so you know what time it is. Minor detail which didn't upset the overall stay.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed there for one night on a weekend trip to Kiama. The Motel was close to the beach and easily assessible via public transport (train). Shops are walk distance away.

Our room was on the group floor facing the road. Cleaness was satisfactory except that one mug in the room had clear coffee marks.

There was no light in the bathroom. NONE at all shampoo, conditioner, handwash, bodywash or shavingcream, so make sure your BRING YOU OWN. Hot water was okay. AC was okay although there was sligh humming noise.

We could see briefly the beach from our window, which was quite nice. And the beach is only second away.

Overall good enough for a one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monimonica
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Although we chose least expensive room for 'romantic weekend'..it was anything but! We walked into a very small room that had fixtures falling out of sockets, no place to put our clothes in/on as rack had been taken up with tv(no tv remote), dishes, kettle, etc, heater that didn't work, a noisy fan in the bathroom, noisy feet and what sounded like a pet running above our head all weekend and awoke on the first morning feeling like we were in bed with an amorous couple in the next room! It sounded like there was only a bed sheet separating us from noises from other rooms! When we arrived we waited ages before the 'manager' arrived and we never saw any staff when we left on Sunday. Housekeeping was our sheeta thrown over the one pillow we had each. Oh, and the pool was 'under construction' ie empty! Did not have a good sleep all weekend. The old adage was never truer..'you get what you pay for' but @ $100pn I expected sleep! Will have to seek alternate accommodation, perhaps hotel opposite, next visit?

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Hamowahine50
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This has been our choice of motel in Kiama for 20 years, but no more. When we turned on the air-conditioner it immediately stopped working. When we sat on the bed the bedhead thumped on the wall at the slightest movement. The new manager offered the only other room available on the basis that it was "a little smaller" and a little cheaper. This room was so small there was no space for any furniture, no bedside tables, no chest of drawers, no table, no chairs. There were no soap dispensers in the bathroom, the shower soaps were the size of a twenty cent piece and the hair dryer didn't work. The glass door to the balcony had to be lifted and dragged open, the included continental breakfast was nowhere to be found and the Foxtel programs were a month out of date.
When we tried to speak to the manager in the morning, he had gone out and not mentioned to the receptionist anything about a price adjustment. We were assured that he would phone us later that day. Three days later and still no call so we have paid $170 for a room not worth $70.
We will never stay at this motel again while it is under this management.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank George B
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The room had a large, comfortable bed - excellent! There was some noise from painters working on site, which is understandable, I did not find it a problem. Also loud noise from a digger operating across the street, but this is outside the scope of the motel to do anything about. The motel is under new management. I found all the staff pleasant and helpful. The view of Surf Beach from upstairs rooms is excellent, close enough to go for a swim (which I did, twice). It is in walking distance of the Kiama shops, food outlets. Of especial usefulness to me is that the railway station is very close by. I would definitely plan a return visit.

Room Tip: The view from upstairs rooms is great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Eleanor255057
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is a mixed review.

I chose the Kiama Cove because of the location near the surf beach and the expected peaceful sound of the waves.

Sadly this was not allowed to be the case. At 0700 am a contract teenager woke us up outside our glass bedroom door. He was scrapping paint off the metal balcony rail. Simultaneously a man on a cherry picker with some mechanical device began operating on the outside of our other motel unit wall.

Considering we had had a funeral the day before, we 'needed' some peace and quite so my wife got out of bed and chased them off.

Unrelenting, other workers began scrapings etc in what seemed the room above.

Having booked two rooms at the premium price my wife politely advised all the management team that I would be discussing the matter later.

When I went to pay the bill, I calmly advised the manageress that I was disappointed by the loss of peaceful amenity and requested that we negotiate a discount. She implied that it was inappropriate that I had requested some form of compensation and discount. She showed no concern, no apology and felt our loss of amenity was not her concern. When I advised that the workers could have commenced on areas away from paying guests she advised the managerial team were unable to influence the renovations.

The following are some other observations which update some previous reviews:
Yes the motel is in a good location.
Yes the motel is being renovated. Sadly we were not informed of any renovations, resulting in our early morning surprise.
I note the old TVs and the old beds have been replaced. The bed was good, once secured.
The room’s furniture is good quality. It looks as if it was probably sourced from the now demolished Bowral Mercure.
Management are trying to improve the motel, but they should also consider their customers as people and part of the team, not just the income flow. The manageress displayed contempt when I warned her that I would make a comment in Trip advisor if she did not consider the situation. Rather than turn the situation around her comment was ‘Make sure you tell the truth’. I felt no empathy so I paid the full price and left.

Please note, the motel has new management undertaking a significant renovation while still taking in customers at full price. They are obviously very new to motel management. May I recommend some confidential customer feedback be included in their new processes.

I mistakenly expected the managers to be aware of the current market in Kiama and be a little more gracious and flexible. I gave up two $346 rooms at the Sebel which were on an advertised discount of $169 each. And I bet at that price they were not surrounded by early morning renovations.

I am sure the management will soon realise that quality professionalism diverts these situations.

So reader perhaps you could be gracious and give them a second chance. Hopefully management will have learnt from this avoidable circumstance in what is an abnormal circumstance of starting a new renovated venture.

PS. Sadly I did send this reveiw to the owners over two weeks ago to allow write of reply but sadly they did not supply any expaination.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Peter M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiama
The Sebel Harbourside Kiama
#1 of 2 in Gerringong
Kiama Shores Motel
Kiama Shores Motel
#3 of 11 in Kiama

Been to Kiama Cove Motel? Share your experiences!