“Drive on!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Khancoban
Khancoban Alpine Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Khancoban B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were so disappointed in the dreary shabbiness of the rooms that we (all three of us) voted to do the arduous hour's drive over the mountains to Thredbo (in the twilight) rather than stay a night there! Staff were friendly and obliging and were happy to let us see a few rooms - and there was lots of choice even though it was a busy long weekend and most other accommodation in the prev ious town was 100% full and it was getting late. I think that says it all.
Time for a revamp out of the 1970s! Maybe the price matched the standard (60AUS for a room with two saggy single beds)? Our advice - drive on!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed here with a bunch of fellas riding motorcycles on our way South, So the choice was not ours. Rooms are very old and are in desperate need of a upgrade. Very old and tired. I would not like to take my family here.

Room Tip: Any other place to stay?
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mattoboy
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We ended up staying an extra two nights as the majority of our experience was fun and relaxing at the same time. We enjoyed great value meals with friendly laidback country (generous) hospitality. There was karaoke one night with what looked like half the quaint little towns population there whooping it up. The next day we won some and lost some on probably the best TAB we've seen in 'the bush'. Once again great pub style food. We took a dip in the pool later in the day which was sparkling clean but a bit old and tired. The rooms also were a bit old tired with some maintenance required. We had the choice of three and picked the better looking one which was clean and comfortable as well as cheap. We spoke with the Publican at length and were impressed (as are his local customers) with the renovations he gas done to the bar and lounge areas. He did hint at ongoing struggles with the landlord (he is leasing the whole property) but plans to "modernise' the rooms in the coming months. Good luck to him we say , we had a terrific time at the Hotel. A little bit fawlty towers but a lot of the Country charm hospitality you dream of after escaping the city limits.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Room was clean and tidy, however shower needed pipe work fixed as scalding water burned feet! Also some mould kill could have spruced it up a bit.

Tv and bed, fridge, kettle etc all fine.

Bar meals were big but my $26 serlion had alot of grissle. Overall better than camping but sad they called our room "deluxe".

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Let me start with the positives. The people who run the bar/restaurant seem really nice. The meal we had there was OK.

Now for the room. I've stayed at some dodgy places around the country, so I could tolerate the general state of repair.
The fact that the bathroom door didn't close just meant the family had to agree to not go down that end of the room while someone was on the toilet.
The window that now looks directly on to the brickwork of the room next-door didn't worry me too much, even though you can see the remains of every creature that has died in that 1-inch crack since the day it was done (why not just cover this window with a sheet of giprock - or even a curtain??)
The bare wires hanging down from the roof in the vanity area were OK. I wasn't game to touch them to see if they're live, so I will assume that it isn't a danger for now....

No, it was the cleanliness that got me off-side. You wouldn't walk on the floor bare-foot. You wouldn't touch the walls if you could help it and finally, we had to get the sheets replaced because the beds had OBVIOUSLY been made with dirty sheets left on them. There was real dirt and evidence of other human "residue" on the sheets of all three beds. I complained and the nice people from the bar came and gave us new sheets. When they observed what was on the originals, they certainly didn't argue.

It was a warm night so we were all lucky that we didn't have to put the blankets on us.

I will forever insist on inspecting accommodation before committing my money from now on. I've stayed in lots of hotels, but not one like this one!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve Z
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed overnight having booked beforehand. We arrived and tried to find the check in counter and found two males at a counter but they said they didn't handle rooms and directed me to a bar through the other side of the hotel. Walked through the building and was confronted with 4 old tin cans throughout the floor collecting water coming through the roof! Found a bar but no one there. A chap came out and he also said he didn't handle rooms and sent me through to the other bar where I was to ask for a women x. Went there but no one behind the bar. Called out but no answer so asked a patron having a beer and he said she's in behind the poker machines! Eventually we checked in but she didn't know anything about the "special offer" and I'd have to ask the manager. But no help there at all. Went to the room. The grounds and the room were a disgrace. Room smelt stale and there was a huge smell of disinfectant. Bathroom old and lousy and unclean with mold in the shower (and no basin plug). Laid on the bed and my wife said the cover felt damp! It was as it had been heavily sprayed with a form of disinfectant. And the old hair dryer was broken and dangling like a part vacuum cleaner without a nozzle. Wow - had we not paid up front ($90 for a delux room!!!) and had it not been late in the afternoon we would have immediately checked out. But we stayed and went to the bar for a beer and meal. The meals were good and good value. Went back to the room and couldn't get the TV to work and I had to re-program all the stations.Oh and also the "terrace" was covered in copious quantity of soil and leaves; and the swimming pool was filthy. My advice is don't stay at the Alpine Inn - but the pub meals are OK. The rooms couldn't rate half a star.
The next night we stayed at the Mountain View Motel at Tawonga (Mt. Beauty) wow what a difference - clean, tidy, friendly and excellent - 4 star.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne C
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We arrived after dark & at first accomodation didn't look too appealing but after driving around town it appeared like the only available option. We paid $80 for a double which was reasonable. The room was big enough for a family but the bathroom was tiny. The shower was a disaster - it took forever for the hot water to come through & then when you tried to a little cold it went freezing. Meals were reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank weekendtripper_13

Been to Khancoban Alpine Inn? Share your experiences!