“Fantastic two day kayaking trip with Kangaroo Valley Safaris”

Kangaroo Valley Safaris
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic two day kayaking trip with Kangaroo Valley Safaris”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have just arrived home from a great weekend kayaking in Kangaroo Valley. This is the second year we have enjoyed this experience. If you have not done this yet and you love being outdoors with nature, put this on your things to do list, it is a must do. A group of us headed down to Kangaroo Valley from Sydney on Saturday morning for our kayaking weekend. Armed with plenty of instructions from the Safaris team, things to bring along, best route to take, maps showing us where to find great spots to camp, what to look out for on the way. They are a great team and know the waterways really well and as another review mentions are very patient with stressed out city dwellers and their demands. It took us longer than it should to pack as we where too busy chatting having not seen each other for months, eventually hopping on the bus around 11am and heading down to the river. We paddled a few hours down stream where we found a great camping spot for our group of 9 and set up camp for the night. Had a late afternoon explore into one of the creeks, then back to camp for some yummy eats washed down with a refreshing ale and chatted late into the night under the stars. Not a phone to be heard, what a change, life slowed right down, great! We were up early on Sunday morning after not too bad a sleep, a wombat was having a good scratch very close to my tent in the middle of the night. Bacon and eggs hit the spot before we set off for the second leg of our adventure to the dam where our bus was waiting to take us back to the Safaris headquarters. We couldn't have asked for better weather and the professionalism of the Safaris team made the weekend one we all agree will have to be repeated again next year.

Visited November 2013

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fancy new canoes”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Well fancy by my standards. Drop off, pick up at tallowa dam, no hassle. Part of a big group that go every year for many many years

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Scott M
Sydney
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great kayaking experience and great customer service”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

5 of us did kayaking water flow tour with Kangaroo Valley. Great location and scenery.

They are explaining every thing patiently. I am so thankful that the lady from Kangaroo Valley Safaris looked after my puppy while we were doing the kayaking. Fed him and walked him.

We had a great time even in the pouring rain. We'll definitely do it again.

Visited September 2013
Canberra, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A nice half day canoeing”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My two sons (age 7 and 10) and I spent four days in Kangaroo Valley and decided to do some canoeing. Kangaroo Valley Safaris is right on the bridge, we parked our car there and went into the shop hired the canoe. We then headed to the other side of the bridge to where the canoes were. We were given a big sturdy canoe and directed to drag it down the hill to the waters edge, we were given a little bit of direction on how to paddle and told which side of the canoe to paddle on through the first rapid.

I dragged the canoe down the hill to the river (just underneath the bridge) and managed to push off with the help of some of the people having a picnic on the beach (riverside). Managed to over steer on the first rapid (maybe overly following directions given) and ended up backwards. My kids panicked because we were facing the wrong way but I soon got us steered in the correct directions. It was a nice paddle, float down to the picnic ground where Kanagaroo Valley Safaris waited to pick us up and take us back to town.

The trip was about 2.5 hours, luckily just as my kids were getting tired we saw where we had to land the canoe. The rapids were not too big so easy to navigate through. Would have been good to have some help getting out of the water but it was okay, got wet feet but the weather was very warm so we dried off quickly. $80 for the canoe hire for the three of us and the trip back on the bus.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Beckstar8
KVS2013, Owner at Kangaroo Valley Safaris, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am glad to see you enjoyed your trip with the children
You did well in the canoe paddling by yourself with the two young ones.
It is a lovely trip from the Bridge with great wildlife spotting
I hope we will see you again soon.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of Australia's real beauty spots”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Having lived in Australia for over three years and traveled the East Coast and various other spots around the country, I never realized that Kangaroo Valley was actually on my doorstep in Sydney. Only a two hour drive from Bondi, this is a must for anyone looking for a break from the city. You don't even need a bank holiday weekend.

I have canoed before but I am no expert (I see others complaining about the standard of the canoes). For us, as novices, they were fine. Pretty much impossible to capsize, which is important when your clothes and tents are inside. They are quite spacious as well. We easily managed to bring a sufficient amount of beer and a guitar as well as tents and food etc.

I found our "tour guide" (the guy who gave us the canoes - Dave I think) to be friendly, informal and easy to get along with. We only spent about a half an hour with him but he gave us all of the equipment and told us everything we needed to know.

One drawback for us was that the actual canoe time was a bit longer than we would have liked. We did 24 kilometers over two days which was about five hours of canoeing altogether. I would have preferred 3 - 4 hours instead. This said, the spot that we camped in was well worth the effort to get to. We were the only group there and had the place to ourselves. It had everything that we needed in a campsite....well except a toilet, but we had a shovel for that....

All in all, if you are into camping and the outdoors, this is the spot to do it. The views over the misty valley on arrival as well as the numerous beauty spots along the river are absolutely breathtaking and it is the most picturesque place I've been to in Aus. Kangaroo Valley Safari's were friendly, efficient and reasonably priced. I will definitely be returning.

Visited May 2013