“What a great find!”

Bistro One46
Cuisines: European, Australian, International, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bistro One46 has become a favourite meeting point between the Southern Highlands and the NSW South Coast. Whether you are taking a day trip, staying in Kangaroo Valley or travelling through, be sure to drop in to Bistro One46 for a meal or a coffee. In the heart of the village of scenic Kangaroo Valley, Bistro One46 is the place to dine all year round with the grape-vine covered balcony or air conditioning available inside for summer or the open-fireplace inside for winter. At Bistro One46 we pride ourselves on offering tasty, fresh food sourced local where possible, local wines, professional and friendly service as well as value of money in a relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant is family friendly and offers kids meals, has high chairs available and welcomes bookings for groups of up to 60 people. Open LUNCH Saturday/Sunday 11.00am-3.00pm and Monday/Tuesday 11.00am-2.30pm DINNER Friday/Saturday 5.30-9.00pm and Sunday-Tuesday 5.30-8.30pm. (Closed Wednesday/Thursday & Friday lunch) Group bookings welcome Friday lunch (min. 20persons)
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed in Kangaroo Valley for 2 nights recently and found ourselves staying opposite this restaurant. What a find, the ambience and warmth on a cold winters night was a real pleasure, the food even more so. I love duck and if it is on the menu I have to have it, what a surprise it it equaled some of the best I've tasted but the real surprise was the serving size, almost twice the size of any other restaurant I've been to. So glad we didn't have an entree otherwise I would not have eaten all the duck (that's only a maybe). My husband also enjoyed his Veal cutlets and usually if I really enjoy my meal he usually regrets not having the same. We will definitely return when next in the area.

Nicole Gerald P, Owner at Bistro One46, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear RedOrWhite,
Thank you for your review. The duck has become a signature dish and we are glad you enjoyed it.
We are also glad you husband was delighted with his meal and did not experience what many call "food envy" - more common than you know!
We look forward to seeing you in Kangaroo Valley next time you are down this way.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Bistro One46 was recommended to us while we were staying in the valley and we were very glad we went. There are very few restaurants there so we tried them all. This one is by far the best. I had the prawn hotpot and the black angus beef....Amazing. My husband had the mushroom and feta bruschetta and the surf and turf.....wow. The staff were very professional and friendly, service was fast. Must book in advance. It gets booked out fast.

Nicole Gerald P, Owner at Bistro One46, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Mandy,
Thank you for your review of your time at Bistro One46. We are glad you enjoyed your anniversary - I think it is special to celebrate every year. Congratulations again.
We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Kangaroo Valley.
Regards, Nicole

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

A great night celebrating my partners birthday, also coincided with the Bistroone46 team having an Xmas in July night. We had a great time, the food was excellent, but more than that they went so far beyond to cater to my dietary needs, it was outstanding! Make sure if you're heading their way to book a table and let yourself be taken care of by the team there. You'll love it!

1  Thank Kerrie S

Dear Kerrie S,
I am so glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We are more than happy to cater for specific dietary needs if we have sufficient notice. It was a great night - made all the better by having lovely guests who really got into the spirit of Christmas in July. (The mulled wine and warm spiced apple juice helped there too!)
We look forward to seeing you in Kangaroo Valley again soon.
Regards,
Nicole

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The feature that stands out about this restaurant is the service. Probably the best we have ever encountered and we travel and eat out a lot. There was plenty of staff who seemed to genuinely care about their patrons and took a real interest in them. I asked Nicole (one of the owners) about a problem I had at home making the crunchy top on a Creme Brûlée. She took us over to the kitchen and gave us a full demonstration of blow torching the sugar top. So helpful, so friendly and with no obligation to choose the Creme Brûlée she had just done as she said it would be her one to eat. Now you wouldn't get that sort of help anywhere else!! The food was delicious, plenty of choices and daily specials. Local wines on the wine list. Would certainly eat there again next time we're in Kangaroo Valley and definitely would recommend it to others. Thank you for a memorable experience (and I'll keep working on that Creme Brûlée).

2  Thank Barbara P

Dear Barbara P,
It's called "quality control"! I do enjoy that part of my job with food and wine! I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us and look forward to seeing you in Kangaroo Valley again some time soon.
Regards, Nicole

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Reading on trip advisor that this was the number one restaurant in Kangaroo Valley as foodies my wife and I had to try it out. Upon entry the decor looked great. The hostess greeted us with "do you have a booking?" at which point we said no and she began to be quite rude there after, non welcoming, went on to talk about how she was fully booked and did not give us any alternative such as being put on a waiting list or take away. As we were about to walk out she mentioned the trading hours for the next couple of days but by this point there was no way we were ever going to come back here. Dissapointing!

5  Thank TeamGreco-Roman
Nicole Gerald P, Owner at Bistro One46, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear TeamGreco-Roman

If you HAD read the reviews on Tripadvisor and you are, as you say "foodies", then you would understand that a small restaurant such as ours (in a small town where there are only three restaurants catering to many accommodation guests as well as locals) does at times book out.

My staff and I are not in the habit of greeting customers rudely not do we become rude if they do not have a reservation. If we are not fully booked, we endeavour to accommodate customers and if we are fully booked, we would like the customers to come back if possible.

I feel that your defamatory comments are unjustified and that your review is posted SOLELY because you felt put out that you had not made a reservation and were unable to get a table. You did not dine with us and have not received any service from us so therefore your rating of our restaurant is unfounded. As "foodies" perhaps you and your wife should be aware that Tripadvisor is a tool for customers to review a restaurant based on their actual experience at the premises.

I am quite happy that you feel "there [is] no way we [are] ever going to come back here." We do not need rude customers who think they should receive a table when they have not booked but others did.

We pride ourselves on providing welcoming, friendly and professional service and we look forward to providing this service to our future patrons.