“Neither a resort nor a retreat!!”

Kangaroo Valley Golf & Country Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kangaroo Valley
Bermagui, Australia
“Neither a resort nor a retreat!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The 2 bedroom cabin we stayed in was generally of a very poor standard; the aircon didnt work, the bed needed replacing as it bowed in the middle, the carpets were worn and blinds were ripped, the TV was tiny and the speakers were blown. Maybe this place is fine for groups of golfers...in the short time we were there we saw men urinating on the golf course, idiots doing hand brake turns around the greens in golf buggies and the morning we checked out a group walked into breakfast drinking beers at 8am. All in all this place is very poorly managed, of a very inferior standard and grossly overpriced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is a horrible place and the manager is completely unreasonable. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT put yourself in a situation where you are hosted but completely disrespectful, management and disgusting treatment of customers. I had a booking at this resort and after reading several reviews here, I called the booking office to see if I could express my concerns about the common feedback about no heating. I'm going down to Kangaroo Valley in the middle of winter and the last thing I want is to freeze and based on the comments here, this is a common theme. After speaking with the receptionist and manager, who are completely rude and unreasonable, they did not make much effort to convince me it would be OK and I have been charged with a cancellation fee. I had provided them reasonable notice of my concern and wish to cancel within less than 24 hours of making the booking. This place is not concerned about customers, nor future customers and I not happy about the way my concerns had been addressed. I agree with the other reviews on this website...do not book at this resort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ClareBear1983
Toronto
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. The 1 bedroom cabin was quite comfortable and certainly large enough for the 2 of us, and it had all the expected amenities (except for a missing hair dryer). The golf course was very playable and in quite good shape. But overall this "resort" is nothing special.

Unfortunately, the location is a problem. It's very pretty coming into the valley but the town doesn't have too much to offer. There is only one grocery store and it's selection is thin, so we should have bought our supplies before we came here. They want $10 to use a BBQ so we decided to skip that (couldn't get very good meat at the grocery anyway).

It rained a lot while we were here so there was very little to do other than sit in the cabin, reading a book, and waiting for it to clear.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The views and country side are superb. However, the rooms are basic and the heating very poor which made it difficult with two children. My gripe with this accommodation is that we originally were going to book online for $230 plus $40 for the kids per night. We decided to call the resort to ensure the room could accommodate the two children and the person asked if we would like to our book over the phone, which we did. The person didn't tell us that by booking over phone would be $315 per night - we found this out when checked out and unfortunately we had paid before we found out - basically the guy on the front desk said too bad. This ruined the hole weekend for me and my wife for which was already an expensive long weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank David S
Reviewed April 19, 2011

While the setting was fantastic that's the only part which was top class. The bungalow itself was too basic for the steep price per night. Just to give you an idea on the level of fit out (all the charm of a YMCA), the veranda didn't have an umbrella, which should be a basic for a place like this (esp in January). When we mentioned this to the staff we got the reply that the owner of the bungalow didn't want to provide this. The joys of investment properties I guess. In short these people shouldn't be playing for hotel. Or at least not for these prices, because most people expect more. I recon many people have figured this out because the place was almost deserted, even though it was school holidays. Conclusion: great views but heavily overpriced.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ja12345
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I love staying at Kangaroo Valley Golf Resort. Not too far from the city, arriving the quiet and the fresh air provides the perfect escape from city life yet with access to everything you need. Not quite a golf lover, there is tennis, big chess, plus a great deck on at the room to enjoy a glass of wine on.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top of the hill
Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Lane Cove North, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2011

On the spur of the moment my husband & I decided to get out of the city for the weekend. Being school holidays we found a very limited choice but decided that this one was good value and the pictures on the website promised a welcome stay. We booked a 1 bedroom cabin and found it delightful. The restaurant was closed but staff were more than helpful with advising what options were available for dinner. We had dinner at a most delightful Thai Restaurant in town.

The cabin could have benefited from a spring clean mainly to clean away some of those high up cobwebs but otherwise we found the cabin to be very well equipped and clean. The show in our cabin was certainly working better than the one in a previous review and it was supplying more than a trickle of water. We did have a problem with theTV/Austar and when we mentioned it the following morning staff once again were very apologetic and were willing to assist.

The setting is beautiful and my husband thought the course very well designed. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for another round of golf on our final morning.

The only fault would be the bed. We have both slept on slat beds before but this one was so so hard and uncomfortable! This would be the only reason we would maybe not be too keen to come back but it is still worth considering.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Robertson
The Laurels B&B
The Laurels B&B
#2 of 9 in Kangaroo Valley

Been to Kangaroo Valley Golf & Country Resort? Share your experiences!