“Wow”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hay
Victoria, Australia
“Wow”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm glad the old Comfort Inn burnt down as the replacement is great. Stayed here on the way back from Broken Hill to Canberra, the best nights sleep I've ever had in a motel. It didn't even have my pet hate with motels, you know where you get the electric jug wiggle it under the tap, fill it up then empty the thing trying to get it out from under the tap, so then stand under the shower to fill the jug. The room had a small kitchenette with a decent sink and tap, microwave oven and a huge shower. Very clean and well maintained.

The restaurant was worst part of our stay, what to choose and still have room for desert. The meal was excellent, cooked to perfection and the Sticky Date pudding with Butterscotch sauce the best yet.

Will have to stay here again just to visit the restaurant and try the Surf & Turf which I have been told is well worth the visit.

Even with the highway going past there was very little noise from the trucks, as I said best nights sleep in a motel ever.

The owners, Chanook & Melissa ensure you enjoy your stay and that your meals are perfect, nothing was too much trouble, even with my brother & sister in-laws wanting to share a main meal so that they could have the Pork Belly en-tray was not a problem, smart move given the size of the meals. We noticed a lot of locals eating the night we stayed so that's a very good recommendation for the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed two nights early September 2013 and could not fault this place. The suite was clean and comfortable with a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom so it was very spacious. The restaurant is probably one of the best in Hay and the food was excellent along with the service. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Hay is a very friendly town so we return there once a year. There is so much to do and so much fascinating Australian history to absorb.

Room Tip: The rooms further away from Reception cannot access wifi. We made do with 3G
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here from adeliade to Brisbane.
The lady at the front desk was polite and incredibly helpful. Suggested where to get petrol and assisted with directions and food. Fantastic value for such a clean big room.
Ask for a quieter room off the main road.
Has Foxtel

• Stayed August 2013
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

What more could you ask for after a drive from Renmark, on a cold day. We ordered room service for our evening meal and the food was delicious. The heating was just right. Overall, I highly recommend this motel. Thankyou.

• Stayed August 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed one night recently. The reception staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was a very generous size, bigger than most. Bathroom was large and clean. Overall the motel is very modern and a pleasure to stay at. Only downside was that the complimentary wifi could only be accessed if close to the office, so sitting at an outside table in the dark and cold was a bit inconvenient.

Room Tip: Get a room near the office if you want wifi.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is our first stay at this establishment and were delighted with the facility. We arrived early evening after a long drive from Sydney and found the reception friendly, the room warm and a microwave so as I could heat up dinner I was carrying in a car fridge. What more could I want. The room had just enough furniture and very clean. One good thing about this décor is there is no place to hide. There could have been an extra bed lamp so as it was easy to read at night but that was my only complaint.
I used the microwave and the china and when I went to wash up I found no dishwashing liquid. I hunted and hunted but to no avail. I felt guilty leaving the dishes unwashed. When I mentioned it on check out and apologised I was told that that is the job of the cleaning staff and not to worry about it. I was amazed as most places have notices around telling you to wash your dishes.
We had breakfast the next morning and were served a good breakfast which was hot and tasty before heading out early on the next stage of our trip.
I would certainly stay here again without hesitation on my next trip to SA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was a welcome surprise. We booked one night here as a stop-over on a road trip from Adelaide to Sydney. I wasn't expecting much more than a place to sleep so we could continue our journey. We arrived late and were completely amazed upon check-in. The manager was as sweet as could be. The outside of the hotel appears like something that you would find along Route 66 - older, modest, right next to the highway, gravel parking lot, no more than 2-3 dozen rooms. The inside of our room was stunning. This hotel was obviously a complete gut rehab - done right. Everything was new and modern. The bed was comfortable. The linens were cozy. The bathroom and kitchen were gleaming. There was a large flat panel tv and recessed lighting...I simply cannot say enough. I would have been happy to stay here for a week, had I had a reason to be in Hay. Don't hesitate to spend a night here! It's truly a lovely little gem.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends