“One out of Two”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hay
Elizabeth
“One out of Two”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed at the Saltbush twice on our trip to Sydney in September and on the return to Adelaide in October. On the way over we had a good experience, although the young woman on reception recommended a local restaurant where we had one of the worst meals of our lives. On the way home however, we were not given the family suite that we had booked but instead given a single room with 3 beds. I had explained when I booked that our son has an issue with sleeping but clearly, making more money by squeezing as many people into the motel as possible is more important. The people who did get our room were up half the night sitting outside talking, which only added salt to the wound. I originally complained but was told there was nothing that could be done as the other people (to whom the family suite had been given) would be there soon). There was a makeshift apology the following day when we were leaving.

Room Tip: Make sure the motel isn't heavily booked or you'll be put somewhere at owner's convenien...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Their_Mum_Ann
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback I'm only sorry it has taken you three months to provide it. Firstly I would like to address your feedback regarding the recommendation of the local hotel. We provide everyone with a list of what is available in the town for meals. Three pubs, two clubs and two takeaways. It is our habit also, to advise everyone who stays, that the meals available are not "posh pub" meals but rather the old fashioned counter meal. I am not sure how our motel can be held responsible for the quality of the food at another establishment but I will take your comments under advisement and pass them onto the hotel concerned, I am sure they would appreciate your feedback. I suggest you put a review on their site rather than ours. Now to clear up any discrepancy regarding your booking. On your first trip you booked a family room of which we have three. One is two bedroom unit and the other two are spacious twin suites with a queen bed and two single beds (available to view on our website). We actually do not have any single rooms in our motel, the smallest room being a standard queen room which has a queen bed only. You had sent an email prior to your return booking explaining your son was scared of the dark and needed company in order to sleep. We then made an incorrect assumption you required to be all in the same room. On arrival you were less than undestanding to my poor young trainee and she called me in tears. On my return to the motel I met you in reception where I explained why my assumption had put you all in one room, even showing you the ambiguous email you had sent and notes I had made to ensure your family was accommodated as you had requested. This fell on deaf ears. The next morning, in front of a reception full of guests, you once again voiced your displeasure and I heavily discounted your room and you threatened "to slate me on every website available" and stormed out. I then called you on your mobile to once again apologise for the confusion over your request and your husband, who answered your phone, repeated your threat. My apologies, profuse apologies, would hardly be sited as makeshift. So, what to do?? Wait for your slating and respond appropriately?? Furthermore, with regard to people sitting outside your room talking? Really, how inconsiderate of them. I only wish you had pushed 9 on your handset and advised me you were being disturbed that evening rather than wait to advise me in the morning when there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I could have them asked them politely return to their room in order not to upset other guests. As simple as that. Unfortunately, some people, no matter what you do, are determined not to be pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Crafers, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This a no brainer for our little family (3) to stay here on our way to/from Adelaide-Sydney. From the friendly reception, to the clean and comfortable rooms, we find we all look forward to staying here. It really is a little oasis in the middle of the 'big' drive. My daughter loves the pool, it's basic, but a welcome relief particularly after a long, hot drive. We do a lot of road trips in Australia and wish all motels could be like this.
We've stayed in the family room, standard room (with an extra bed popped in) and the cottage. All great. Highly recommend.
Oh and it's quiet, have never had any issues with noise.

Room Tip: For any size family the family suite is excellent. Big rooms and at the end of the building so you d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. We love seeing our guests time and time again and appreciate any feedback we receive to ensure that you do come back. With regard to the pool area, we have plans underway to upgrade the surrounding gardens and source some new furniture in time for the full onslaught of our Hay summer. We look forward to seeing you next time you make the crossing from Adelaide/Sydney/Adelaide.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in the family unit and were very happy with the cleanliness and the size of the rooms. We were there in Winter and we were very pleased that the unit was very well heated. Wifi worked well - which is not always the case at other places.The Saltbush Motor Inn was by far the best place we stayed on our family road trip. Even the little extra of having a bucket of water and windscreen cleaner/squeegee available in the car park impressed us. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. It was a shame we didn't stay for longer! I have been recommending this place to everyone I know of that is travelling in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FarmerFolk
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. Its always a pleasure to hear we are getting it right. Our WIFI is high speed, as it needs to be, for the convenience of our guests. Thanks for recommending us as well. We really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I feel compelled to write a review and I have only been checked in for two hours. The place is so clean and the check in was friendly and efficient. What I really love though are two things:
- the Wifi works better than anywhere you could find
- the car spaces are massive so there is no crowding
Top job - really like it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Hi Ben, thanks so much for your great feedback. We have 22 carparks and 19 rooms at the motel. This allows for a couple of rooms to bring a trailer into the carpark or an additional vehicle. We really try hard to make everyone feel welcome on arrival and make the check in as painless as possible. Hay is a long way from anywhere, so most of our guests are fairly travel weary on arrival and the last thing they want is a holdup in reception. I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had the fortune to stay at this motel on my way to Sydney. What a great motel. Excellent facilities. Very courteous staff. Will definitely stay again. The only comment I would like to say is that there was nothing to use to heat food in microwave. Maybe put some microwave dishes in cupboard.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lesley0053
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review and we are all delighted you enjoyed your stay in Hay and at our Motel. Thank you for the tip regarding the microwave dishes. Certainly food for thought. We look forward to you staying with us when you next visit Hay
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Thanks to Elle and the staff for makeing our stay there fantastic. I had just spent a week in the desert and it was great to feel like I was at home.

Staff was very friendly and helpfull.

We stayed in the cottage and it was fantistic, Clean and just like walking into my home. It has all the comforts of home including internet, TV in each room and washing machines.

I am planning a trip with 20 friends from America next year and will be sure to spend our nights at Saltbush Motor Inn.

My only regret was that I did not spend another night or week there!
Mike Morris

Room Tip: If you have a family or group be sure to stay in the Cottage or the House.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wow Mike, what a review!! Thank you. The Saltbush Cottage is a great place to stay for families or groups and an extra special spoil for a couple. Lots of room and all the comforts of home. We look forward to your next trip to Hay and hope you are able to stay longer next time to take full advantage of all that Hay offers.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We arrived here after driving through from Broken Hill, and felt that we had come 'home'. Our room was spacious, with a big warm bed (it was a very cold night out there) basic cooking facilities, and a huge television. The lady on reception was very helpful, recommending where we could eat and what kind of cuisine/cost.
In the morning after a hearty country breakfast I met some more of the staff when I went over to the laundry. They were so nice and friendly but unobtrusive.
I would recommend this place particularly for families - the family rooms near the pool were spacious, and tucked away down the back so that you wouldn't have to worry about disturbing other guests.

Room Tip: We had a large Queen room (suite?) halfway down the left hand side (from the street view), and there...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saltbush88, Owner at Saltbush Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you had a great stay and made use of free laundry facilities. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.