“Love This Place!”

Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Jeannette
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a gem in Jeannette PA. Who knew? Great seafood dishes, delicious strip steaks too. Also good mixed drinks. The service and atmosphere are always good. Well worth a visit. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Lazlo44

Reviewed March 17, 2013

After hearing for years that the Nest does Lobster better than anyone, and slowly getting my wife to truly enjoy seafood, we made reservations for a "date night" at the Nest. Personally I could eat seafood 5 nights out of 7 and never complain!

So we arrive, full of anticipation. They have a nice wine selection, and fairly priced. Ordered 2 glasses of Sauvingon Blanc, and it was excellent; I'd buy it again.

Also ordered the Mussels appetizer. My wife has become fond of the mussels we've had elsewhere, in some type of flavorful broth and served with a side of grilled bread. What arrived was similar to steamed clams: unadorned on the half-shell with a side of drawn butter. This was a sign of things to come. My wife summarized it best: "If this was my first experience of mussels I'd never order them again". I've never had mussels served like this myself, and found them horribly chewy, flavorless, and overcooked. We ate a couple each hoping the first was an anomoly, but no. Left better than half the serving, and when the person asked if we'd like them packed, I replied that that they were pretty overcooked, but the person just removed the plate and left. The server never asked about this either.
Dinners arrived; the wife ordered two 5 oz lobster tails and I the Seafood Platter (5 oz tail, scallops, shrimp, and a crabcake). I have to say the crab cake was quite good - big pieces of crab, not too much filler. The scallops were unseasoned, but not overcooked (a pet peeve of mine is overcooked seafood). The shrimp and lobster on my plate were tough and overcooked. The wife's lobster were better than mine, but still flavorless (perhaps they assumed the drawn butter was meant to correct the lack of seasoning).
I chuckle at the "tableside removal of lobster shell"; the tail is already perched above the shell, the server is simply cutting the connection at the tail. Think I can handle that myself. It wasn't horrible by any means, but I've had better lobster at a popular national seafood chain. That's sad. Seafood is pretty easy to cook, and I am proficient at it at home - I shouldn't be able to out-cook a restaurant that specializes in seafood.
Dessert choices were very tempting, and since it was date-night, we obliged. The Milky Way pie we split was excellent! I am not a big dessert eater, but ate my share. Maybe more.

The service was generally very good; someone always refilled water glasses, and plates removed promptly. Surprised at this price point that leftovers are not packaged off-table. We were given a box to do so ourselves. Monterey Bay would do this for you. Given the overcooking, I asked the waitress if on a return visit, would I be able to have the lobster cooked in the shell (which is more flavorful and reduces overcooking)? She seemed totally flustered, and said (several times) that she "just didn't know, and that no one has asked in 22 years". I felt like I must have insulted her. She never did go ask the cook if that was possible - so much for customer service.

Luckily, I used the leftovers to produce a lovely seafood fettucini with wine-seafood stock reduction and tomatoes, leeks and mushrooms. Wish thay had served this, I'd be raving right now.

In summary, it was ok, but certainly not spectacular. Service was good, some things better than others. If you adore drawn butter, you'll be ok. If you love seafood that is exceptional, you'll want to go elsewhere.

This reminds me of how seafood might have been served in the 50's - 60's. Some revisions to recipes might be in order.

3  Thank tjsnaab
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our party ordered the large lobster dinner, their specialty at The Nest. Two of us had to settle for small 5 oz tails because of limited supply of larger tails. The large tails were very good but the smaller tails were not up to standards.

This small facility has been updated and is very attractive inside. Service was very good however the food does not justify the price.

1  Thank papdan
The_Nest_Restaurant, Manager at The Nest, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your critique of our restaurant. We certainly appreciate the feedback. We are upset to hear you were not happy with the smaller lobster tails. However, we are glad to hear you enjoyed the larger tails very much, as well as the service. We hope that you will return again and that your next visit will be a positive one. Thank you.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Last evening , our group of ( 8 ) enjoyed terrific food , excellent service and a splendid
atmosphere at this wonderful restaurant . Among our guests was a very well known , retired
NHL player from the Pittsburgh Penguins . He and his wife drove over from the Pittsburgh
area and were very happy they made the trip .

Our guests very much enjoyed our appetizers which we created , fresh jumbo shrimp
along with large fried jumbo shrimp , we also shared some New Zealand mussles .

Entrees we most enjoyed were a Nest speciality , a large 11 oz lobster tail taken right out
the shell at tableside , this was a New Zealand cold water tail......just awesome .

Also raved about was the Crab Cakes dinner feature......we all shared some tasting .
My son-in-law really enjoyed his Surf and Turf dinner....all smiles from his face .

Really nice wine list of a variety of price ranges for all and we also enjoyed our wine selections.

As our evening and dinner was coming to the end , the owner , Lanny , as well as his daughter
Kelly visited our table , checking with all of us upon our opinions regarding the food we really
did enjoy and asking if we had any suggestons upon how to improve ?..

Our only suggestion was to keep operating this wonderful restaurant as we are planning
a family birthday gathering at the Nest in Febuary and to just keep doing all the nice
things exactly as they were last evening .

I would recommend this wonderful spot to any person looking forward to a very special
and memorable evening .

Chuck Runzo , Greensburg , Pa .

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your positive feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

wonderful seafood and great atmosphere. the service was excellent.

1  Thank pmartinop