“Sales Rep Review”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Griffith
canberra
“Sales Rep Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

As a sales rep. I now stay at this pub all the time! (I have stayed at this hotel over 10 times in the last 12 months). Each room has its own bathroom & aircon. I read through the reviews and was stunned. Its pub accommodation people ! in a country town ! If you expect pub accommodation + good pub/club food, you really will be fine. I read the review of Room 5....hmmm.....i have stayed in room 5, 7 + 12 many times (amongst others) and both were fine for me. Barry Constance.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank barry c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed in the above hotel for work purposes on the evening of the 23/01/2012 and the morning of the 24/01/2012. The reception is at the bar section (it is a pub with accommodation). The accommodation is basic but is what you would expect for a three star hotel.
I checked into my room quite late in the evening on the 23/01/2012 and went for a walk after placing my belongings into room 5 to stretch the legs, etc. I returned to room 5 at around 9:30pm and it was quite late by the time I actually got around to sleeping. I noticed two small bugs with a rusty brown colour on the sheets and I killed them and went to sleep. During the night I felt a few bites on my body. In the morning I noticed I had some obvious bite marks on my body. There was also a slightly larger one of the bugs that I had killed previously and when I squashed it I noticed a lot of blood come out of it. I checked the bed sheet and noticed what I think were fresh small blood stains and some black marks which I suspect were excrement from the bug/(s).

In the morning I had a nice breakfast in the hotel, quickly checked out and headed off to do work. I did not make a fuss at the time as I was not sure about what had happened and also did not think to take photos at the time. After doing some research on the internet the following day I spoke with the owner Terry on the phone about this on the 25/01/2012 and relayed my concerns that bed bugs were present during my recent stay and that immediate action was required to eradicate the problem. I was assured that I would be notified regarding the outcome.

On the 31/01/2012 I tried calling the owner of the hotel again to alert him to the fact that numerous more bites in the pattern typical of bed bug bites had appeared across parts of my body that were not covered when I slept in the bed of the hotel on the 23/01/2012. The bites were extremely inflamed, itchy and uncomfortable and have only started to settle since using cortisone cream and taking strong Telfast tablets. I have attached a few photographs showing some of the extensive bite marks that appeared on the 27-01-2012. The bite marks are definitely from bed bugs (bed bug bites can take up to 9 days to appear) and are extremely uncomfortable.
I spoke with the owner on the phone on the 01/02/2012 and alerted him to the presence of several more bites and my concerns. I was told that the sheets were changed and a check was performed for bed bugs but no bed bugs could be found. The owner also had the hide to suggest hat I had brought the bed bugs with me or was bitten by a spider!

Following my stay at the hotel, have gone to considerable expense to treat the bites on the skin which are extremely uncomfortable, unsightedly and itchy. I have also gone to considerable expense to ensure that I did not bring the bed bug problem into my home and have thrown out my laptop bag, my luggage bag and clothes that I wore while sleeping in the room. I have also spent considerable time getting my other clothes treated with high heat drying to ensure cross contamination is avoided.
Do yourself a favour and don't stay in the above hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank jemma1
Bungendore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We arrived on the day after Boxing Day. We were advised that the Bistro would be closed but that there would be other places open for dinner. Hm.... They forgot to mention that the bar would also close which it did at 5.30 pm. After that time, it felt like we were left to fend for ourselves.

The room was fine, fairly clean and well serviced. Room 9 has a door onto an courtyard landing rather than a window so we could not open it and relied on the air conditioner.

The other dining options turned out to be a variety of chain pizza places, clubs which were not in walking distance and the Belevedere, where we ate. We had a pleasant meal but not as wonderful as it the publicity would have us believe.

All in all, Griffith is not a great place to visit between Christmas and New Year and if the town wants to trade on wine and food, it needs to do better!

Room Tip: Avoid #9 if you want a window to open
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motomoda
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Myself, wife and son stayed over in 2 twin rooms just the one night as we were passing through on a road trip to outback NSW. Staff are friendly and welcoming enough, and the food in the pub restaurant was fine, however the room decor is tired and cleanliness was v.poor. I can understand the fact that this is a budget hotel, however for $100/night/room i expect the room to have been dusted/hoovered. There was a thick layer of dust on top of the bedhead, windows were dirty and the carpet looked as though it handnt been vacuumed for a few days at least. My wife discovered someone elses stray pu*ic hair under her pillow! Not good, the hotel to raise their game in this area.

Room Tip: quiet rooms are located furthest away from receptn
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank subarudood
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Room was clean and staff were very freindly and helpfull. Good basic breakfast. We stayed on a Saturday night with a band playing and were worried without cause. Yes you could hear some noise, but frankly you hear more street noise in a lot of other places. Got an excellent nights sleep. Highly recommended for a pub....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed here for just one night while passing through. Family room was very good value for money, but the room hadn't been cleaned properly, and the communal areas were a bnit scruffy. Rate included a reasonbly good breakfast. Don't mind basic if you're not paying much, but I do expect my room to be hoovered before I arrive!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Matthew99s
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

During my trip in Australia visiting the vineyards in different areas, I stopped by griffith to visit the De Bortoli Winery.

This is hotel is Saloon type Hotel, it looks like in the western movie where and city itself too.
The staff were helpful and friendly. The bar and the restaurant is large and we
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms were cleaned and free internet.
The shower is good, good pressure and a lot of space.
For the price you cannot expect more. I did not eat there but I guess for the price you can have quality products. I spent one day and one night in griffith which was a very good visit and experience in this part of Australia.
I would highly reccommend this to anyone who is travelling through this part of the world.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business