“Food horrible so disappointing.”
Review of Hotel Gosford

Hotel Gosford
Ranked #1 of 4 Gosford B&B and Inns
“Food horrible so disappointing.”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I'm a local who has been going to this pub for years. It used to be great. Now the selection of wine is awful. I had the hot and cold seafood platter. I couldn't eat it. It was horrible and so greasy. I felt sick. The salad was bland. Uninteresting. I don't understand it. Why fix something that isn't broken? So sad and sorry.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Liketrinkets
Jordan H, Owner at Hotel Gosford, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our bistro. This is actually our accommodation trip advisor page although we are happy to receive all positive and negative feedback which ever way it comes.
Our wine list has been upgraded over the past few years to focus predominantly on wines from NSW. We have had nothing but positive feedback regarding this as we are supporting a lot of small vineyards that you will not find in any of the large liquor chain stores. I am sorry if you preferred the main stream labels we used to sell but we like to look after the little guys and we think their wine is top notch.
In regards to our seafood platters they have always consisted of variety of fresh and fried locally sourced seafood. The only change is that we had swapped the oysters out for smoked salmon as we were having quality issues but have now re introduced some beautiful Sydney Rock Oysters to the mix. Our side salads are just that a side salad with a house made dressing that most customers tend to really enjoy, I'm sorry if yours may have been under dressed.
As with any business we have to move with the times which meant changing up our menu which hadn't really changed much in 15 years. We have accepted positive and negative feedback about certain things and have made amendments as we have gone along. I am now positive that the food we are serving is great again and we would love you to give us another go.
Jordan Harris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Visiting friends in Gosford. Had double room on third floor with shared bathroom facilities. Staff were rude. Room was noisy (from car and construction traffic). Ate in the Bistro one night - food was very low quality. Rate was $80 per night - it was not worth $50. Give it a miss.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank S G
Jordan H, Owner at Hotel Gosford, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hi there and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are 2 1/2 star pub style hotel as we clearly explain on all of our advertising and I am sorry if you expected more. The street noise is obviously out of our control although the streets are only really busy between 7am and 7pm. Again our bistro is a pub bistro and not a fine dining establishment although we make everything on our menu in house using only the freshest locally sourced ingredients. Our room rates are the cheapest in Gosford and as mentioned in lots of past reviews great value for money.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is close to the train station, which made it very easy to get to with our heavy case. Important for interstate travellers relying on public transport. The local buses stop about 50metres away and service all the local areas. We took a lovely trip to Terrigal, and the Entrance, during our stay. The hotel is within walking distance of the stadium (we went to a rugby game while there). It also has a lift (essential for us "oldies"), and has absolutely fantastic meals in the lovely dining room. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jordan H, Owner at Hotel Gosford, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking time to review our hotel, we appreciate all positive and negative feedback, it helps us improve what we do.
Our location smack bang in the centre of Gosford is definitely a good selling point as is our 90 year old lift. For those that don't know the actual carriage is heritage listed but all of the mechanics were updated a few years back so its 100% safe.
Its great to hear you thought our meals were 'absolutely fantastic' we use only the freshest ingredients sourced from local suppliers.
We look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.
Palmdale, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Im a local and have eaten in the Brasserie at least 10 times over a period of time. Im disappointed with the food. My partner & I had the roast of the day. Which is $20.00 neither of us thought it was good value. Lift your game!
We both had the roast beef which was very poorly carved and they also gave me at least 6 pieces of very overcooked stringy pieces; which should have been binned. The waitress said people like it! The gravy which was made up out of a tin concentrate powder had not been diluted properly tasted awful. The roast vegetables were all very tired and served just warm and had been cooked hours previously. I noticed they had Asian chefs. A month before I had ordered the herb crusted Barramundi fish and the crumbed crust was un-cooked and I had to scrape it off. It was horrible. The desserts are not home made; but presented nicely. I will not be returning with overseas guests again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amanda W
Jordan H, Owner at Hotel Gosford, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. It is disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your meals during your recent visit. I would just like to clear a few things up as we have a large number of regular customers who consistently speak highly of our food quality.
Our roasts and roast vegetables are cooked before service as would be the case in most establishments and remain under heat and the meat carved to order. We have been doing it this way for 15 years with great success. Unfortunately not every piece of meat is the same size so carving each piece perfectly is difficult for even the most talented chefs. All of our chefs are trained in the best carving techniques and I apologise if you have received some of the not so well cut pieces.
In regards to our Asian chefs, we believe in a multicultural work environment and have always had chefs of different nationalities working in our kitchens. These people are trained how to cook like everyone else and have years of experience in Western cooking. I hope that this isn't the reason you weren't happy with your meals.
Our herb crusted barramundi is one of top selling dishes and if your crust wasn't cooked to your liking we would have been more than happy to place back under the grill briefly.
I am glad you enjoyed your desserts of which some actually are made in house by our head chef who is a qualified pastry chef. We do a variety of house made desserts and fresh cakes.
I hope I have cleared a few things up and we would love to see you again as I am positive you will not be disappointed.
Sale, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Booked here as it was close to Bluetongue stadium. We were very happy with the room. It had been updated. Comfortable bed so had a great sleep! I think the elevator was the original one from when they opened in 1926 so it was fun to use such an old elevator (the only bad thing about that is that it is hard to hold the doors open while we got in and I have a cane so that made it a bit difficult but I managed thanks to hubby). We were able to order a meal any time of the day as they were open all day. Staff were friendly and the atmosphere was happy and welcoming. I would definitely stay at Hotel Gosford again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darleen R
london
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stopped off in Gosford to break up trip from Newcastle to Sydney, the room was nice, clean and plenty of space, the food at the restaurants down stairs was great value and tasted very good and staff very friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here for three nights for its location between Hunter Valley and Sydney. It is 1 hour and 40 minutes by train from Sydney and 1 hour from Maitland ,where buses that goes to Hunter Valley start. That makes Gosford a perfect place to stay. (It is also very close to Woy Woy if you are interested in Central Coast) I honestly recommend this hotel for its quality on reasonable prices. It locates really close to the train station. My boyfriend and I were very pleasant with the stay and the room cleaning service everyday. The room was not big but very clean and classic. Though there is a bar/restaurant on the ground floor, the noises were not noticeable and there was a separate entry to the hotel. The staff was nice. When I got sunburned and requested for some ice, they provided a big plastic bag of it. There was nothing that I could complain about this hotel...except the old style lift. We were unsure about the safety (probably just paranoid) but it could be an very interesting experience for other visitors. :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosford
Ibis Budget Gosford
Gosford Palms Motor Inn
Gosford Motor Inn
Gosford Motor Inn
#4 of 5 in Gosford

Been to Hotel Gosford? Share your experiences!