“Thin walls and ceiling”

Wombats Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 4 Gosford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed overnight after a wedding and the room was very neat and clean despite the old furniture. It was a bit of a shock that the bathroom is outside considering when I was told we got an upgrade at the time of booking!We got the family room which opens up to the kitchen but the walls and ceiling is very thin as we can hear our neighbors talking. We fell as sleep after a long day and was woken up by all the banging and heavy walking from our neighbors. After laying in the dark watching the clock ( which was 1am ) we decided to pack our belonging, buried our room key and drove home at the wee hour of 1.30am! The place is quite clean and well equip but not sure about the cost. We had to pay $143.50 after being quoted $90 because we got the family room despite me telling the owner that it's just my husband and I and we got an outside toilet! The owner was a bit creepy, trying to chat me up over the phone when I made the booking so I got hubby to deal with him the following morning. So if you want to stay here, don't ask for borrow 5 or stay down stairs! and be aware that he deduct your credit card straight away despite your booking being 2 months away!

Room Tip: Ask for up stairs room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank electricdiscus1
There are newer reviews for Wombats Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed June 2, 2012

the whole place sukks along with Proprieter,hes sneaky a rip off and sly as,no brekky as advertised,no fruit basket,his cabinets inside the house are padlocked and kids wanna play the games,no changing of the weekend Towels,the shower upstairs just dribbles I can P ...faster,and he wants more $$$ off u wen u get there instead of including in the full price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank jendy k
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The grounds and pool are wonderful. When all the Christmas lights are on at night it is just downright beautiful. Rooms are small but nice and clean. The outside toilet, which considerable is suitable for disable persons, unfortunately can be seen into easily from the outside due to the blinds being too small.

The owner, Laurie, is intrusive, made us feel like squatters more than guest, complained about ridiculous such as using too much electricity (which for someone who has stayed at over twenty hostels and hotels in Australia and NZ is completely unheard of). He made a few comments about women and young people that I found distasteful.

It is sad that such a nice house was ruined by the people who worked there. Though it can be cheaper than other places in Gosford, I would recommend spending the extra money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
14  Thank John S
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Bedrooms were ok, though a lot smaller than the pictures showed, all the furniture looked like it was from garage sales or second hand shops, external areas need a major makeover. The owner, Laurie, is the big problem. He is an obsessive compulsive control freak who watches everything you do and comments accordingly. He liked to blame me for anything that was overused or out of place, he didnt want me to use too much electricity, or park my car in his parking lot because it was too big, leave not a drop of water in the bathroom after I used it, not a crumb of bread in the kitchen. He treated me like a child, made comments on my private life and generally made me feel like I was an inconvenience not a guest. In summary, he is unwelcoming and unprofessional and at one stage he threatened to throw me out.
I stayed here for several weeks for my studies. It was miserable.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
18  Thank sydney4me
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I was in the area for short-term IT work at a local company in Gosford for a couple of months. Laurie the owner/manager went out of his way to make sure my stay was comfortable. It was a tranquil, relaxing place and I enjoyed using the salt water pool after work. It was a bonus that the wireless internet was complimentary and this enabled me to do some work after hours. Laurie supplied generous continental breakfast each morning and was full of knowledge on the local area. He was also kind enough to drive me to the supermarket when he got his supplies so I could get my own groceries. The kitchens both upstairs and downstairs were well stocked with cooking appliances and utensils. Highly recommended for workers that need a peaceful place with cooking facilities or over 55 year olds that are holidaying in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank MarianneNZ
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I recently stayed at the Wombats B&B for a week with several colleagues. We were in the area on a business trip, so we only required a quiet space to relax in the evenings after long working days. What we got was an absolutely ludicrous week of constant interference, irrational complaints, ultimatums and invasion of our privacy, all from an owner who has no concept of customer service whatsoever.

As a group, we had never felt so patronized. The owner went so far as to sort through our rubbish on a daily basis, collecting evidence of perceived indiscretions - such as a glass jar that was imperfectly rinsed out - and then threatening obscene fines if a repeat offence were to occur. In one particularly impressive fit of childish pique, we arrived home in the evening to find ourselves locked out of our bedrooms and the bathroom. After 30 minutes of attempting to make contact with the owner, and another 30 minutes of waiting for him to return home, he explained that we had dared to leave our toothbrushes and a couple of toiletries on the counter around the sink in our private bathroom. Our frustration was such that if we'd been able to arrange alternative accommodation for the rest of the week, we'd have left immediately.

Unfortunately this was not possible. Further highlights of the week included accusations of "walking around heavily in shoes at 3am" (going to the toilet during the night) and "causing disturbance after hours" (two people silently playing chess at 10.30). He would come and go from our apartment as he pleased at all hours, making unreasonable demands, telling us to go to bed and worse.

It must be said that the accommodation itself is quite nice, and if it weren't for the overbearing presence of an obsessive compulsive nuisance of an owner, it would be a thoroughly enjoyable place to stay. I've never before felt compelled to complain about anywhere in the world that I've stayed, for business or pleasure, but my week at the Wombats was such a farce that I feel compelled to recommend that anyone staying in the Gosford area choose a rotting park bench rather than spend a week under the tyranny of this bizarre little wombat of a man.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
24  Thank holmess2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosford
Ibis Budget Gosford
Hotel Gosford
Hotel Gosford
#1 of 4 in Gosford
Gosford Palms Motor Inn

Been to Wombats Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!