“Learnt bushcraft skills in beautiful setting”

Barrington Outdoor Adventure Centre - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Barrington Outdoor Adventure Centre offers exciting guided adventure tours in the scenic foothills of the World Heritage-listed Barrington Tops wilderness area, just over an hour northwest of Newcastle on the mid north coast of New South Wales, Australia.We’ll take you on a thrilling white water adventure by canoe or kayak, or for an adrenalin pumping mountain bike ride across our high green forests. All our adventures are easy for anyone to do and the activities are graded according to your experience and expertise. If you prefer to take a self-guided tour, we can hire you all the equipment you need for a paddle at your own pace.We are fully accredited with an enviable safety record and all our expert guides are first aid qualified. Our capable care includes quality equipment and safety gear, transport to and from the rivers and trails, meals and refreshments, plus accommodation and cosy campfires for the overnighters. Our extensive local knowledge ensures the most memorable day of wilderness fun you’ll ever experience. Ask how we can custom-design your ideal wilderness adventure.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

There are lots of things you can do here, kayaking, mountain bike riding, bush-walking, most outdoor adventure they would cater for. I think you can pretty much ask for anything to be organised, with transfers, catering etc all available. We particularly loved the session on bush craft from Sam and it was really great, learning to appreciate nature and special skills like making fire with no matches, yes... twirling sticks! The locations they go to are all stunningly beautiful, and the people running the place are lovely and from what I saw of the guides they were Outdoor Adventure types from all around the world, so many of them are top athletes in their area, amazing to find them in the middle of the remote Barrington mountains!

You can camp at the nearby "Steps" property, which BOAC owns, its a beautiful campground on the Barrington River, you can hire Kayaks and paddle on the flat water or the rapids there.

Gloucester is accessible by train (CountryLink) and its a bit of a walk from the Station to the Adventure Centre, but they could probably arrange for someone to pick you up.

Brian K, Manager at Barrington Outdoor Adventure Centre - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2015

Thanks for that great feedback. And yes, if anybody needs a pick-up from the railway station we can arrange that too. (There's no taxi service in Gloucester and it's a 2km walk from the station on the other side of town.)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I have participated in a variety of experiences with BOAC and keep coming back for more. From rafting on the high water to self-guided kayaking, we couldn't recommend the guys highly enough. Always there to ensure you have a safe and satisfying experience, with a wonderful personal touch. We LOVE IT! Make sure you stay at the Steps if your are looking for a back to nature experience (with hot showers and a loo). River frontage on one of the best spots on the Barrington River at all times of year, I can't recommend Brian and all the crew highly enough. We rave about it to everyone and are always planning our next trip back.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My friend and I did a self-guided tour and it was absolutely beautiful, the staff were incredibly friendly and made us both feel completely comfortable (even though it was our first time white water kayaking!) We felt right at home with everyone at BOAC and couldn't have had a better time there! Brian and Naomi are extremely knowledgable and able to answer any questions or concerns!

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Our 14 year old grandson was signed up for the all day kayak tour but the river was flowing too fast and deep for the safety of the group. The organisors responsibly switched the event to become a two raft venture on the white rapids of the Barrington River instead. Our grandson, from the USA had a wonderful time and got to see platypus, goannas and wallabys as a bonus. The tour was filled with excitement but was never dangerous under the watchful eyes of Brian and Aaron, the guides for the rafts. The administrative staff could not do enough for you with a big thank you to Amy for all of the extra help she gave. We can thoroughly recommend this company to give you excellent value for money.

1  Thank John C
Brian K, Owner at Barrington Outdoor Adventure Centre - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thanks for those wonderful comments, they've been passed on to all the staff involved. We hope to see you again some time soon. :-)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I went on the "Never Never to the Steps" half day guided tour with my husband and a couple of our friends and it was a fantastic white water kayaking experience. The water levels were a bit low on the day we went (we got told to avoid the rocks but I think my hubby managed to guide his kayak toward ever single rock in the river!) but it was still great fun. Our guide Brian was excellent and really knowledgeable about the area. We don't have any kids yet but I think it would be an easy adventure for the whole family to enjoy because safety on the water was emphasised throughout. Brian told us what type of rapids were coming up ahead and which way we should steer our kayaks so while I was a little apprehensive on some approaches I felt I knew what I was meant to do. The Barrington River near Barrington Tops National Park is such a great place to visit - we're planning to head back and do a longer tour when we get the chance.