“Just What The South Coast Needs!”

Mercure Gerringong Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gerringong
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Bellachara is a refreshingly welcome break from the cheap and nasty motels that dot the south coast.

Bellachara is not located on the beach however it is an easy 10 minute walk. We had a balcony room and the view to the mountains and across Gerringong towards the ocean was lovely. We also faced the main road however noise was never a problem. Even when we sat with our door open. The room was very large and even when we looked at their basic garden rooms so were they. There was a king size bed and large L shaped sofa. There was also a very large plasma, full fridge and kitchenette. I was very impressed overall.

There were 2 pools - the main one is absolutely stunning and has ample deck chairs and lounges. The adults only pool at the back of the resort is very nice but pales in comparison to the main pool and probably with a bit of extra love could be a beautiful garden lined oasis.

We had treatments at the day spa. They were very reasonably priced and both the therapists were professional and very good.

We also ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. The selection of entrees was not fantastic as the flavours were quite elaborate but that said the food tasted very nice. The mains were senstational and cooked to perfection, as were our desserts.

The breakfast buffet was also very nicely done although the pastries were a little stale. Again, everything else was cooked to perfection and there was a nice selection of hot dishes, fruits, cereals, pastries, juices, teas, etc. It would have been nice however to see on offer poached or fried eggs made to order. If this is available it was not offered.

Overall I would happily reccommend Bellachara. The staff are friendly, rooms are large, well appointed and spotless, food excellent and amenties very good. We would happily return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mercure Gerringong Resort

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I was interested in Bellachara for our wedding. The website states that you will be contacted within 24 hours of making an enquiry. I made 4, using 2 different email addresses on the site, over a period of 2 weeks, and never received a response. Sorry Bellachara, but you have lost a regular diner at your restaurant and a 120+ person wedding reception. I will be taking my business to the venues that actually responded to my enquiries.

Stayed: July 2010
bellachara, Sales & Admin Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

Our sincere apologies for the lack of response you have received regarding the wedding enquiry submitted via our website. We have tested this function and found that a technical hitch as disabled this function working correctly. This problem is currently being worked on to ensure other brides & grooms are not adversely affected. Your experience does not reflect the usual quick response time for wedding enquiries. On average we receive about 5 enquiries per day and these are actioned same day when I am in the office or on the next working day.
We regret that the problem with our website has impacted negatively on your impression of bellachara. If we can assist further then please do not hesitate to contact me directly on
02-4234 1359 or email: sales-admin@bellachara.com.au
Best regards
Tricia Ashelford
Sales & Admin Manager & Wedding Co-ordinator

Reviewed June 29, 2010

I have stayed at Bellacharra before and had a great time. I wanted to take my 2 daughters for a 2 day stay as well as book treatments at the day spa. I called bookings and asked if they could put together a room/spa package for me. I was told this wouldn't be a problem and something would be emailed to me. Four days later I rang again and said that I hadn't received anything. I couldn't speak to the original girl as she was away and was told that someone would ring me at 4pm that afternoon to arrange the booking. That was 8 days ago and nearly two weeks since my original call. It was going to be a special time for my daughters and myself and I was prepared to pay a lot of money to make it a great occasion. I am not prepared to contact them again as I am the customer and they are running a substandard business that they expect people to pay a lot of money for. I will be taking my money and business elsewhere and will not be recommending the hotel to any of my friends. It is their loss.

Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank MajefranCanberra
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife and I needed a getaway to recharge. Bellachara was the perfect setting. Great rooms, restaurant - Sunday brunch was just wonderful. Staff friendly......thanks to all, we'll be back !!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I stumbled upon this hotel because I saw their billboard in Kiama. I found the rooms to be modern and chic, very nicely appointed with huge flat panel TVs and two free movie channels. I had a room with a full balcony and kitchenette. It was almost like a full apartment and I could have stayed for awhile!!

The bed was really comfortable, mini bar extensive, and an adults-only pool on the lower side of the property (full sized regular pool is up top).

I switched after my first night to a spa suite and while it had a spa tub, the kitchenette was now just a mini fridge and microwave and no sink. I don't feel the $50 price difference for the spa tub was worth the exchange. The layout of the Garden room was much more functional too, and it was actually bigger.

I would stay here again, and may even do so on the trip I'm currently on if I go back up the coast to Sydney.

The one gripe I have is they use an internet kiosk service and the way they have it set up, you have to buy one hour chunks and they are continuous hours. You can't log out and log back in later to check your email without buying another 1 hour chunk. That's just lame. I've used dozens of hotel internets now in the past two months throughout NZ and Australia and that is a new one for me. It's just a ripoff.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing quiet getaway.

It is a refurbished drive-up motel style accommodation, but they have done an absolutely wonderful job making it modern, while still being quite private.

The staff were so friendly and informative, letting us know what to do locally, and with directions needed anywhere.

The rooms themselves are quite large, and the bathrooms are amazing. We had a room with a spa, that was right next to the 'adults only' pool. There is a second pool in the centre of the complex for all guests.

It is a little pricey, but for a relaxing time away, worth every cent.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We were in Gerringong for a family wedding at the Bellachara. In fact, about 20 or us had come over from the UK and were staying here. Hubby and I arrived first and checkin was slick and quick. We were directed to our rooms and we were pleasantly surprised. We were aware that this was a refurbished motel but it had been done up in the best possible taste! We are seasoned travellers and would rate this hotel as in our top 10!

The room consisted of a large bed, a corner sofa with a coffee table. The TV was huge with good choice of channels. The balcony did look out over the gardens onto the main road but that did not bother us - we couldn't hear the traffic. There was plenty of coffee, tea, milk and cooking facilities in the form of a microwave and hob were available as well as a dishwasher. The bathroom was huge with lovely fluffy towels.

We did tell the Reception that we were happy for them to give out our room number to anyone else arriving for the wedding ... Lo and behold we got a knock on the door from cousins who arrived a couple of hours later.

I used the spa (prebooked from England) and this was very relaxing. The pool was lovely (according to hubby). Plenty of parking space next to the room. The wedding was held at the hotel and this was lovely too. Very well arranged by the wedding coordinator.

Breakfast was included in the price and this was really delicious. One morning our breakfast lasted 2 hours as we were chatting to family. We were not rushed at all!

If there was one bugbear it would be that the restaurant closed early - seems to be a common thing in Australia (Sydney, Hunter Valley et al) However, we arrived enmasse one evening (about 10 of us) and the restaurant manager quickly arranged for steak and chicken sandwiches to be made for us all. This was about 9.30 pm. Prices of drinks were normal hotel prices.

There is a guest laundry available which I made use of. Detergent is made available and this is all free. The reception staff were very helpful and helped us with directions to the Hunter Valley - especially as the receptionist knew of our next destination guest house.

The area around the hotel is beautiful and the staff will always advise you where to go and how to get there. A short drive away is the beach with a nice restaurant.

We would go there again should we be in the area in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerringong
The Sebel Harbourside Kiama
#1 of 2 in Gerringong
Kiama Cove Motel
Kiama Cove Motel
#3 of 3 in Kiama

Been to Mercure Gerringong Resort? Share your experiences!