My partner and I would have to agree that this property is by far the worst we've stayed at. Numerous reasons why;
1) Mercure Gerringong rates itself as a 4star resort; it'd be complimentary to class it as a 2 star.
2) our first impressions were marred as we'd expected the property to be by the sea. It is no where near by the sea; it's more like a two star "resort" by a mosquito infested swamp
3) we'd booked and paid for an upgrade to a room with a kitchenette- but didn't get it.
4) was overcharged for the room, and when I confronted the front office manager about it, he showed total disregard to my claim and dismissed it accusing me of fabricating my story.
5) upon entry to a very substandard room, we noticed the furniture to be old particularly the second hand looking couch which had marks and rips in the leather
6) bar fridge was empty; no milk or even a bottle of water. Unsure why my credit card was taken for "incidental" charges since there was nothing in the bar fridge to consume. Not typical for a "resort" style property at all
7) most alarming thing was the obvious lack of care taken with the hygiene of the room. There were finger prints everywhere on the fridge, light switches and doors. I was disgusted to discover the shower curtain clearly had not been changed in months as it was black with mould from the bottom up.
8) there were no bath towels on entry and the window curtains had come off the hooks.
9) the service is appalling; repeated phone calls were made to have the movie listing dropped off to our room but fell on deaf ears. The fourth call in, we were asked to come and collect it ourselves from reception.
10) staff lack tact when it comes to guest privacy, with housekeeping banging at our door at 9am to clean our room whilst we were still in there.
11) reception were unable to help us with a suggestions for local eateries... We happened to find a pamphlet at the local bakery of restaurants and cafes nearby; surprised reception couldn't supply this in the room to begin with.
12) essentially this was highly overpriced for a property that should not be labelled a resort by any means.
I would not recommend this property to anyone wishing for a "resort by the sea" or expecting a plush room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Resort Gerringong, only 2 hours south of Sydney on the NSW south coast & 5 minutes from the beach. With 52 king rooms, an award winning restaurant, an indulgent day spa, 2 swimming pools, tennis court, a sun drenched garden courtyard & a kids play area... for holidays, events, conferences & weddings. Created to offer guests a personal experience... with views overlooking the hinterland, across protected wetlands & back to the sea. Enjoy the local charm of Gerringong, the Illawarra & the Shoalhaven where you’ll find golf, boutique wineries, scenic attractions, coastal walks, rainforests, recreation theme parks, kids attractions, fantastic shopping in many boutiques & the weekend markets…..so much to see & do ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Gerringong Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Resort Gerringong By The Sea Hotel Gerringong
- Bellachara Boutique Gerringong