“A good quality meal in Gerringong” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shimmer Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Shimmer Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bulli, Australia
“A good quality meal in Gerringong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We enjoyed a good quality meal at Shimmer.
The Winter Special menu was good value
No complaints from us.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Alison H

“Excellent quality food and wine with a creative flair.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited Shimmers last night for my son's birthday and we all enjoyed it. My son is a chef and crtiques what he eats and he really enjoyed the menu and the quality of the produce. The service was very good and we all really enjoyed our meals. My only comment is that I felt a bit cold and it may be good to warm up the decor a little bit for a winter dining experience,however, I fully understand that the coastal vibe is the focus.
Thanks for providing a fine dining venue in Gerringong. We will be back.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank scouller
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Price vs. Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I ate at Shimmer over the Queen's Birthday long weekend. We were looking for a nice place for dinner in Gerringong. Basing our decision on the menu and the quality of the chefs we headed to Shimmer.

Sadly we didn't see the sunset so maybe we missed their best feature. Unfortunately I found the meal pretty disappointing given the price. I had the Kingfish with prawn ravioli for $34 - which is steep even by Sydney standards. The ravioli was undercooked to the point of being crunchy and the Kingfish was overcooked and dry. The flavours were there but the execution wasn't.

Perhaps it was an off night but $135 for 2 people (only 2 glasses of wine) left me feeling a little ripped off given the quality of the food.

Maybe next time...

Melbourne, Australia
“Exquisit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place has it all!

The view from the balcony is just breath taking, rivalling anything in Sydney.

The wine list is small but everything you could want is on it. It has got to be up there with one of the greatest short lists i've seen! Great range of beers/ales and plenty of wine by the glass as well as loads of local drops.

The service is not like what you would find in Sydney or Melbourne but it suites not only the style of the restaurant but the whole environment of the area. The staff smile, they are very knowledgeable of their product and will do anything to make your dining experience comfortable and memorable in a relaxed atmosphere.

Now the food,... My word, it is just AMAZING! Fresh seafood, great range of dishes, exotic ingredients, WOW!. It is truly great to see a restaurant on the South Coast of NSW finally putting on such a quality of cuisine that has been missing for a very long time. This will truly rival some of the best Hatted restaurants I have eaten at in this country!

We loved it so much we ate their 2 nights in a row and then, lunch the day after and then breakfast the day after that.

What I'm finding hard to believe is that this restaurant is at the bottom of the Tripadvisor list for Gerringong! Its just goes to show that there is some serious holes/issues in Tripadvisor that they can't control.

We will be back, we love the place so much and it looks to me that a lot of other people do too!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank James C
Nowra, Australia
“Great view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Magic view & friendly service. Food was nice with having the option of a simple burger & chips. Great looking bar, would be great day or night.

Visited October 2012