“An enjoyable lunch spot”
Review of Shimmer Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Shimmer Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were the only customers for lunch on a wet Thursday but the welcome by the sole table attendant was friendly and relaxed. It was not possible to sit outside so therefore a pity that the windows were very much in need of a good clean - if you have large windows to highlight a great view then attention to these details is important and staff were not busy, judging from ongoing kitchen conversations. Our three courses were well presented and tasty with the duck tortellini entree the highlight with its orange flavoured almonds a terrific counterpoint. The entrees and mains utilised quality ingredients and were good value. We had the dessert taster plate and some items were served a little too cold but the 'bakers toast' was great! The higher standard of the food needs to be balanced by closer attention to the front of house experience and staff training. Overall an enjoyable meal stop on the highway to Sydney.

2  Thank twofromLonnie

Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

The good at Shimmer is delicious. Everything looks amazing on the plate and the combination of different flavours is so good you want to pick up the plate and lick it clean. Great atmosphere, great view and a very talented chef and his team

4  Thank Kat H
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My partner and I decided to visit Shimmer after hearing good reviews and we were not disappointed! The food was simply amazing, fresh and modern with a seriously talented chef. For entree we had the minestrone of smoked ham hock with truffle, and the duck... which was superb! Mains were lamb with vegies and roast chicken breast, perfectly cooked and just right for a chilly evening. We highly recommend the dessert tasting plate!!!

The friendly team provided warm and proficient service fitting to a restaurant of this quality. The view and atmosphere of the restaurant is unique, Surf Coast views that extend across the horizon provide a truly unique dining experience that can’t be matched.

Do yourself a favour and experience Shimmer!

7  Thank Camb2013
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had dinner there on Thursday 5th July after seeing they had been awarded one chef's hat.
That was not an accurate recommendation.I ordered the main lamb dish at $32 which I thought was a reasonable price and was told it came with vegetables.
The lamb was raw and both the vegetables and the lamb were minuscule barely the size of an entree.
I ordered potato skins as well which were fine, had I not ordered them then I would have left hungry.
I usually only order a main, as in this case, perhaps they expect you to order three courses to be satisfied if this is the case then I think that it is most unreasonable.
My partners fish and chips was average he intimated to me and the paper, he assumed the fish might have been cooked in was stuck on the base of the fish and was difficult to see let alone remove.

1  Thank LakesideBandB
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Very good food and plenty of atmosphere, Shimmer is a great place for an intimate dinner with friends and loved ones.

7  Thank Paul G