“Charming accommodation...”
Review of Camden Valley Inn

Camden Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I attended a wedding here in April 2012. The whole establishment has a charming old English cottage feel and the marquee setup for the wedding reception was beautiful. The only disappointment was that the whole place (most importantly the pub!) was closed by midnight. It’s a little early in my opinion but understandable. The staff during the wedding were very friendly and helpful and the wedding MC that was provided by Camden Valley Inn was fantastic! (sorry - can't remember his name!)

I shared my room with a friend – it was a large room, very clean, with a big bathroom/shower and we each had a double (possibly queen size) bed. The price was quite reasonable considering you could comfortably fit four people in the room and split the cost four ways. I’d recommend rooms 1-4 as they are further to the back and sort of separated from the rest of the accommodation so there was no noise and also a pretty view of the bush/farmland.

The food during the wedding and also breakfast the next day was great. I would definitely recommend getting the chocolate pudding for dessert!

My only (small) complaint would be the customer service. In the week leading up to our stay I tried to call and confirm everything was fine with our booking. My calls went straight to a voicemail message that said “hi, leave a message and I’ll get back to you” – not very professional. Also when I was checking in there was quite a wait as there were two people in front of me and only one person on reception. The person on reception also had to cover phone calls while checking people in so it was a bit of a slow process.

Apart from that, it was a lovely stay and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Out of date accommodation. For the price you pay for the night one would think this would include a modern television at the least. Old TV with no digital channels. We were placed in an upstairs room despite having requested a cot (for an extra fee!) and having a 10 month old baby - very inconvenient with a pram and luggage etc. Room was very basic with a very overpriced bar fridge list! Unfriendly reminder in rooms that late check out will incur a $100 fee - are you kidding???? After travelling 8+ hours to arrive, we were not impressed with service nor facilities. Upon checking out and presenting for breakfast at the restaurant, we were told by inappropriately dressed kitchen staff " chef says it's too hectic to do anymore breakfasts today!" sorry! So with a 10 month old baby, 8+ hours to travel home, an empty wallet after the paying the extortianate fee for what was very average accommodation we had to leave with an empty stomach! So all in all, I would not recommend Camden Valley Inn to any travellers. My advice to the proprietors - Time to improve on facilities and customer service skills to match that of the rates you charge!!!! NOT HAPPY!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nichole T
Lee-Michelle R, Owner at Camden Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

We would like to apologise for your experience at our venue. We find your feedback interesting as we have just been award 2010 State AHA Best Pub Style Accommodation and 2011 National Best Pub Style accommodation awards. We will take your feedback on board and review our services.

We have never had a complaint on our 10am check out procedure, which is an industry standard, and late check out fee's do apply in most hotels if you choose to stay past the clearly stated check out times. If you had wanted to stay past this time, this could have been discussed with reception and your options presented to you. We would have been happy to assist in whatever way possible.

Unfortunately with approximatly 400 people who travel to our venue for lunch on a weekend, we do require a closing time for the kitchen. This closing time is 10am and is clearly stated in the in room brochures on the hotel. This time enables our kitchen and staff to prepare for our busy lunch period.

Pricing in our in room bar fridges are standard in the industry, and are a convenience available to you to utlise. Your ofcourse welcome to bring snacks and drinks from the shops to store in the fridge if you prefer.

The uniforms worn by our staff fit within our theme of a family friendly pub. Collared shirts and black skirts or pants are the usual for post venues alike to ours.

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your experience at Camden Valley Inn, and if you chose to return, we would be happy to assist you in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Had a lovely long weekend with my Mum. We booked the "experience" package. The room was very spacious with 2 double beds. The TV was old without digital channels but that was ok coz we only watched the tennis on 7. All requests were taken care of promptly and friendly. The restaurant was incredible. The meals were very generous and reasonably priced. Even though it was very busy the meals came almost straight away. Can definitely recommend this place. :-)

• Stayed: January 2012
Lee-Michelle R, Manager at Camden Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at Camden Valley Inn, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our venue.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We decided quite last minute to get out of Sydney and even though we only drove 1 hr out, Camden Valley Inn felt like a great break away. Our rooms were spacious and catered for a family of 5 ( one Queen Room and 1 room with 2 double beds). The Queen Room also had a spa and another double sofa bed. Breakfast was a real treat with great service. The staff were so nice at the Camden Valley Inn Restaurant, that we had several meals there...all great, especially the kids meals!. The staff at the Hotel namely, Sue, Carina and Kim were all very accommodating and friendly. Felt like a great community. Loved the pool area...clean and surrounded by beautifully manicured gardens.Definitely would stay again. Cherie and family

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 11, 2011

WEDDING!THE REAL HORROR 12AM must be in room no noise do not socialise with guests or incur $100 fine or eviction.when on veranda watch for security guards.these are house rules,more like prison camp.after spending thousands of dollars they should be ashamed of themselves.pay top dollar i do not recommend this place save heart ache go else where

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Linda C
Lee-Michelle R, Manager at Camden Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Good Afternoon Linda,

It is unfortunate to hear of your dissapointment in the accommodation rules of our hotel. In the interest of all guests staying in the hotel, we have to have a set of house rules that advises guests that after midnight with the main bar closes, all guests are expected to act in a courtious manner towards the other guests in the hotel. This includes limited noise disturbances from both inside the rooms, as well as in the public area outside of the room. When signing the check in forms, this set of house rules was provided to you.

On the night of the wedding, all guests, including the bride and groom enjoyed the wedding immensly and went to the main bar afterwards. As the guests from the wedding, were not the only guests staying in the hotel, restrictions on noise do need to be in place. Im sure if you stayed in another hotel and had guests being noisy outside your rooms at midnight, you would appreciate these rules as well.

As Security was called out numerous times in the early morning, a fee does need to be charged to compensate the distrubances to other guests. Unfortunatly due to the incidents, numerous other guests had to be refunded because fo the noise complaints.

On check out, the general manager spoke with you about the distrubances and the fee's incurred.

I am sure that you can appreciate the tight spot that we are put in by trying to do the best thing for all of our guests by allowing a quiet and peaceful hotel area.

If you have any further complaints, please feel free to contact us on 02 4655 8413 or by email to enquiries@camdenvalleyinn.com.au

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and found the room excellent. A roomy upstairs unit with two double beds, a brilliant view over the pool and rural countryside, full air and a large clean bathroom with seperate shower made it most satisfying. However an old small analogue TV was a major blow and we mentioned this to management as being a hefty vintage decision in not upgrading yet. Not even a set top box to allow the digital signal through.
They must address this soon, even flat screens are available in Fiji.
The restaurant in the attached old English style Tavern was very ordinary. No wait service, a fairly bright menu but the food quality is not there.
We dined for an evening Dinner and one Breakfast with both meals needing quality attention inside a very tired rustic interior.
Outside the gardens and lawns are a credit to the managment team, very clean neat and tidy and these get ten out of ten for their presentation.
We would defineately stay again but only when the Tele is improved, but would eat out in Cambden where there are some very good outlets to choose from.

BevnBob

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an upstairs room for the view and ask for a digital TV
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon Bob and Bev,

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your stay.

We will take on your advice and will hopefully be starting to replace our TV's over the next few months with newer versions.

The chefs have been spoken to regarding your dissapointment with your meals and we sincerly apologise. With over 1000 guests dining here each week, we have a very high standard and get regular compliments on the size, qulaity and presentation of our food.

We hope that you do stay with us again and that we can provide an even better experience for you in the future

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I recently booked accommodation on line and specifically asked that they didn’t send anything to my home address, to email only, as it was part of a surprise gift for my husbands birthday along with a joy flight at the Camden airport. A few days later the receipt arrived in the mail with Camden Valley Inn plastered all over the envelope. My husband collected the mail and as he had always talked about how he would love to experience one of the flights from Camden Airport, obviously put two and two together.

However, I can assure you that my dealings with the CVI was downhill from here.

I forwarded an email to their office the following day explaining what had happened and how unhappy I was. With no response to my email, I followed it up with a telephone call on Monday morning and spoke to a lady who confirmed she had just read my email. She assured me someone would be contacting shortly.

I again called on Wednesday as I had not heard a word and spoke to Sue who promised someone would call the following day. Again as I heard nothing, I phoned their office on the Thursday afternoon. I was told by Sue that someone had been trying to call my mobile all morning and was unable to get hold of me. This was absolute rubbish as I have my mobile with me at all times, I have message bank and in any case, an email could have been sent to me asking me to call their office. I insisted that someone email me a response rather than call me and I was promised an email first thing this morning.

Friday .....No email. No phone call.

I then decided I would email the General Manager who did actually respond quickly. He apologised for the error, blamed it on reception staff and said he hoped my husband realises the effort I had gone to for his birthday and if there was anything he could do to help. I said that perhaps he could suggest something. I told him it wasn’t my husband who was disappointed, it was me. He offered me my money back if I wasn’t happy. After further emails, he succumbed to offering to set a table (assuming for dinner which we would have to pay for) with a free bottle of bubbly in the gardens (maybe nice if it was summer!!). I decided that the reviews I had read about the dreadful food in addition to their treatment was not something I wanted to experience. I requested my money back and he said he would have reception arrange the refund immediately, on that very Monday.

Well naturally by the Thursday, I had not seen any refund in my account and AGAIN I had to email them.

This place is such a joke. I have never written one of these reviews before and I have stayed in hundreds of different types of accommodation both in Australia and overseas. You accept that sometimes you need to take the good with the bad. But when you are treated poorly before you even arrive, I can only imagine what it would be like once you have arrived!!

I have decided to book accommodation in Bowral (would rather travel away from the area) staying somewhere I am familiar with and where we are treated as guests and not like boils on their back sides.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sashae
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Rydges Campbelltown Sydney
Campbelltown Colonial Motor Inn
Picton Valley Motel
Picton Valley Motel
#1 of 2 in Picton

Been to Camden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!