“Magnificent”

Balcony Bar & Oyster Co
Ranked #32 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Meters back from legendary main beach, Balcony Bar & Oyster Co sits perched high above the hustle and bustle of Byron Bays busy streets. This heritage listed building is reminiscent of a seaside beach house. The signature wrap around deck captures the setting sun and is the perfect place to tuck into some freshly shucked oysters with an icy cold beer or a glass or rose. Executive Chef Sean Connolly has prepared a menu reflecting his signature style of cooking; simple, approachable and where possible on the bone or in the shell, allowing the produce to speak for itself. Balcony Bar & Oyster Co. exudes a neighbourhood spot where you can drop by anytime for a drink with friends and a few oysters or small plates.
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure what recent reviewers went through, but I was intrigued by their complaints of poor service and food, so went to try for myself.

The staff were attentive and prompt. The wine selection was broad, and when I queried the year of a bottle (2 years beyond menu) they discounted me 10%. It was still good, as the waiter advised.

Food was timely and excellent. I seriously have never eaten a better lamb rack than that presented by The Balcony.... and I have eaten a lot of lamb.

The vibe is Byron cool, but that does not take away from the quality of the food, or the service. 5 stars!!!!!

1  Thank Shaun D
Balconymanager, Manager at Balcony Bar & Oyster Co, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thanks for your review, the negative reviews you have mentioned on Trip Advisor are form a couple who were refused entry due to intoxication and have decided to try and harm our successful business and reputation by unfairly criticising our staff and restaurant, We are pleased you disregarded these vexatious remarks and joined us for dinner, the Lamb, really is the best available and our chefs certainly know how to cook and present it. Your wine vintage year difference has been rectified on our wine list but its fair to say, with an extensive list sometimes a vintage change slips through unnoticed. on behalf of our wonderful staff who put their heart and soul into customer service and the Balcony experience we appreciate your time with this review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We went here as a group of 4, and one of my friend walked into the restaurant to check out the interior and all of a sudden one of the servers started yelling at her to wait to be seated...
Then we were put on to the balcony everyone looking to the street so we asked to change seats which the waitress couldnt do and had to ask the manager...
After we changed seats it took us a while to order drinks, however we got the drinks and decided to order some food.
The food was good, came quick and tasty.
On the way out 2 of us were waiting for our friend by the door, she was to come out from the toilet so we were looking at the design of the place.
After two minutes one of the wait staff asked us to leave the premises, i said we are waiting for our friend and I got upset, that told him this was a very bad way to treat a customer. He started smiling and i told him this would go up on trip advisor, and then his face changed and apologised. Unfortunately, the owners need to replace staff or teach them how to be a good server... (i have worked in restaurants all my life and never told one customer to leave).....
Again - good food, good atmosphere but the service is absolutely terrible.

1  Thank Al_Oz1
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a balcony lounge seat which was very comfortable, and also an ideal spot for people watching. I was impressed with the wine list and attentive service, however it wasn't particularly busy at the time. We ordered a number of tapas which were all of a very high standard. In particular, the salt & pepper Calamari was very well balanced with a side of pickled fennel, rocket and aioli. Would most certainly return when next in Byron.

1  Thank Matt19641964
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

For a pleasant start to any evening with that special someone you really should try this place. Between 4pm-6pm you can treat yourself to delicious grilled haloumi and mixed dips. Accompanied by classic margaritas or lychee martini. The staff seemed cheerful, attentive and happy to help. Balcony dining open to the streetmosphere of Byron Bay. Generous value for an early evening nosh and tipple.

1  Thank happypotter_33
Reviewed May 22, 2014

To celebrate a friends birthday we met at the Balcony for their Happy hour with no set plans for the night. From the minute we arrived everything from service (staff were really accommodating and found us a larger table as our group grew from 4 to 7) to the best cocktails and fun location in Byron. We grazed on delicious tapas (definitely try the lamb shoulder and the salmon curado) and somehow ended up with another 3 friends and yet another move to an even bigger table. The staff couldn't have been more considerate or professional with all the changes and our service was excellent. You must try their Paella, definitely the best I've had and everyone else raved about their food, also lot's of yummy wines to suit all our tastes.
I know now where I will be celebrating my birthday! Overall a brilliant night out.

1  Thank janfoggy