“A bone to pick with the Balcony”

Balcony Bar & Oyster Co
Ranked #19 of 200 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Meters back from legendary main beach, Balcony Bar & Oyster Co sits perched high above the hustle and bustle of Byron Bays busy streets. This heritage listed building is reminiscent of a seaside beach house. The signature wrap around deck captures the setting sun and is the perfect place to tuck into some freshly shucked oysters with an icy cold beer or a glass or rose. Executive Chef Sean Connolly has prepared a menu reflecting his signature style of cooking; simple, approachable and where possible on the bone or in the shell, allowing the produce to speak for itself. Balcony Bar & Oyster Co. exudes a neighbourhood spot where you can drop by anytime for a drink with friends and a few oysters or small plates.
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had breakfast there on a recent trip to Byron.
Overall the food was actually lovely, and the location charming - upstairs, and above the smell of coconut oil and board wax on the main drag.
A cause of concern were the bones in the smoked salmon with the eggs Benedict.
I picked them out and ploughed on, but when I went to pay I mentioned it to the person who appeared to be the manager, and it was taken as no big deal.
I could have made a fuss and sent the food back requesting a boneless Benedict.
With the lack of response I received, I wish I had. It's not a good look to be choking on a fish bone at breakfast, and not something you brush off when a customer lets you know.
Food was otherwise good, but diners beware, and management need to be concerned about this kind of thing.
If not for the potential brush with death, it would worthy of 4 stars.

1  Thank Marina K

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Called in with some business associates last night
Decided we would all try the Pacific Oysters....wow!
I have always been a Sydney Rock Oyster fan but these are in a class of their own!!!!
Simply the best I oysters I have ever had anywhere in the world
(Great service and atmosphere by the way)
Thanks The Balcony - I'll be back again soon

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

In byron on my day off so decided to stop in at the balcony for breakfast had the big breakfast was a perfect way to start the day. Now to lay on the beach and enjoy this great weather might be back for lunch .

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here last night - great place to sit and watch the world go by below, and the food, service and cocktails were all top-notch. We had some of the freshest oysters we've ever eaten, the best paella we've ever had and the best cocktail (gingerbread flip) we have had in a long time. And the service was excellent - a friendly, knowledgeable British guy who was casual but professional. Prices were very reasonable, especially considering it is Byron and right in the middle of town.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Thought this place would be full of idiots and have bad service but was happily surprised by greAt service and a lovely atmosphere. Great place to end an evening