“Amazing dessert”

Balcony Bar & Oyster Co
Ranked #34 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Meters back from legendary main beach, Balcony Bar & Oyster Co sits perched high above the hustle and bustle of Byron Bays busy streets. This heritage listed building is reminiscent of a seaside beach house. The signature wrap around deck captures the setting sun and is the perfect place to tuck into some freshly shucked oysters with an icy cold beer or a glass or rose. Executive Chef Sean Connolly has prepared a menu reflecting his signature style of cooking; simple, approachable and where possible on the bone or in the shell, allowing the produce to speak for itself. Balcony Bar & Oyster Co. exudes a neighbourhood spot where you can drop by anytime for a drink with friends and a few oysters or small plates.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Looking at the other reviews, definitely a place you need to book. We were lucky to be able to book an early sitting, though there was still a line when we arrived. The cocktails looked amazing but we had to take a rain check on them. Our meals were tasty, a friends steak was the best pick in terms of size, tapas were ok size, provided you were planning to leave room for dessert. And weren't we glad we did. The most amazing dish was on we weren't expecting which was a special f he day - Banana and caramel pie. Doesn't sound that interesting, but the waiter did a great job selling it to us, so we couldn't resist. The pastry was delicate and the flavour was incredible. The only problem was we should have ordered more for the table, instead of the rhubarb and apple crumble - the popcorn ice cream Spoiled it. We were told that they were experimenting with the menu so hopefully they add the pie permanently. Service was fine, they had colouring in for kids and did not rush us out for next sitting. There was quite a lot of noise from the bar though maybe new wait staff who dropped a few glasses? Prices were about the same as Brisbane city - I put it down to being a popular tourist destination.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Booked dinner for Saturday night in late April. Arrived on time, taken to table on the balcony - ask for a table next to the verandah railing as there are two levels of seating - and within 90 minutes were done and dusted. The food was done well and I enjoyed it very much. The pre-dinner drinks and wine during the meal were also good. My only complaint was the frenetic pace of the staff, who were good at their jobs, friendly and on the ball. It gave the place a rushed feel which seems at odds with the general feel of Byron Bay.

1  Thank SydneyPaul
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Here is summary of 'The Balcony' dining experience:

- wait to be seated. 3 separate waiters walked past and said 'won't be a minute'. 7 minutes later - someone finally greeted us and proceeded to our table. (we should have left there & then).

- waited 20 minutes before order was taken down after I flagged down a waitress. 2 tables arrived after us - were served first.

- drinks finally served. I asked the waiter (older guy) if we could have water. Annoyed at the request, he got us water, and advised us 'If you need anything else - ask your waiter -I'm only the drinks waiter!' he was not impressed by the request at all.
Last I checked - water WAS a drink?!

- he came back with a drink my friend ordered & I ask him why he had made the previous comment? From a business perspective - customer service is seamless - you would never say that to a customer. If you can't serve the water - let the relevant waitress know. He wasn't impressed I raised this and with a lot of tone & sarcasm - said 'sorry'.

- waited another 40 minutes for main meal which was fine overall, but rice for paella (a signature dish apparently) was quite gluggy.

- my friends steak and other friends salmon were good.
- the waitress we had was fine as was bill person at the end.

- the staff at the balcony need to realise that customers = money = business = your job. If you don't like customer service - don't work in a restaurant.

I went to Mokha for dinner tonight. Service was amazing! That alone would make me go back there again and never go back to the balcony.

Balconymanager, Manager at Balcony Bar & Oyster Co, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thanks for your detailed performance report... I know the waiter you mentioned, our oldest serving staff member who has been a waiter for 40 years ( and has actually just turned 70 ) its surprising that you seem to have had a conflict with him, although he is from Chile and can easily be misunderstood, I know he will be devastated that you didn’t enjoy yourself as much as your fellow guests. The Balcony is a large eatery and is difficult to compare with a 30 seat cafe, From a management perspective a 170 seat eatery has a very different dynamic. Perhaps if you tried us again on an off peak night you might enjoy the more subtle delights of our expensive menu and award winning wine list, without the hustle and bustle of a full house.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Tucked away upstairs, it's easy to miss this spot. The decor, whilst Asian in flavour, also reminded me of the Caribbean with white wooden shutters and the breeze blowing through palm fronds outside off the balcony.

We chose tapas and it was well prepared with portions you'd expect. The cocktails were exquisite for an Australian restaurant, whilst expensive at $17. Two cocktails, a beer and 4 tapas plates was just over $100 - not cheap by any means but it seemed worth it at the time.

The service was friendly and casual, no complaints considering the relaxed atmosphere.

I'd visit again, maybe for a late lunch next time to enjoy the outdoor balcony and have a couple more cocktails. Considering how hit & miss Byron can be, this proved to be a good choice.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were recently looking for a place to have a few cocktails in Byron and stumbled upon "Balcony". What a great place to have a few beers, cocktails or a bottle of wine and chill out.

If you can try and get a seat outside on the wrap around balcony itself, where you can watch from an elevated position the hustle and bustle in the street below. It will make make all the difference to your experience.

We went during "Happy Hour" which was useful as Margaritas were A$ 16.90 normally but down to A$10 during Happy Hour but they were excellent. We didnt eat but the table next to us did and the food all looked really good.

Like a lot of restaurants in Oz, this place is not cheap, but I guess at least your getting decent quality and a great setting. It is though difficult not to compare prices in similar restaurants through the US or in fact in the UK and you come away wondering why on earth it has to be SO expensive here in Oz? I know that's a completely different conversation but it is food for thought.

1  Thank Rinkydinkpinkpanther