“Usual high standard”
Review of Byron Bay YHA

Byron Bay YHA
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed here before (march 2012 I think?) the toilet / shower blocks appear to have been updated, they'll better most budget hotels. Usual friendly and accommodating staff on reception - room standard doorm type so not too much to say... Free parking and excellent location.

My score for value probably says more about the weakness of the pound and the exchange rate rather than the cost charged...

A lot of accommodation now offers free wifi, I do think yha in general need to adopt this as a world wide policy.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Morphius187069

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Where do I begin. I had booked 2 rooms. 1 x Twin and 1 x 4 Berth. I had 5 International Students with me. 4 girls whom knew each other, and a male who had just arrived and outside of commumicating with me didn't know anyone. Hence the 2 rooms. He and I shared a room. After no less than 3 phone calls, I believed I had booked a room with a private bathroom. That way he and I had somewhere to change without 1 of us having to leave the room or compromised in anyway. NOT the case. We arrived on time for chk in. Rooms not ready. When we returned 1 hour later. Only 1 room had been made up and we had to return to get bedlinen for the other room later. The twin room had no bathroom it in. I went to reception to ask waht was going on, and as they where full she was unable to move us. A pathetic apology and nothing else was offered for the error. So all the effort I had gone to so that neither the male student or myself where put in an embrassing position was a complete waste of time, money and effort. We paid more for the room so that we would not have to share the bathroom facilities. What a disgrace. Upon leaving, they only seemed more interest to make sure we had stripped the beds and brought the bedlinen down to the front office. We had to put them in a laundry trolley for them as weel. Seriously, I asked. "Do you want me to vacuum the room for you as well " !!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank givemeabreakasap
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Byron Bay YHA, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Hi
Thanks for your review of Byron Bay YHA. YHA takes all reviews seriously and this has been discussed with the hostel staff.
As this hostel does not have any twin ensuite rooms at all, we think there must have been some misunderstanding with your booking as you could not have been promised this room type. Unfortunately this hostel has very few rooms with ensuites and they are usually booked out well in advance. Hostels do run differently to hotels with more communal living that helps keep costs down to suit budget travellers.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Yep this is great place to stay its clean, quiet when late at night and awesome location, and all very clean. Hammock or bean bags to chill in and Pool is awesome, good security friendly staff and you get cheap entry to the clubs. Would stay here again for sure

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I Stayed here for a few nights in October. Every time you go to use the kitchen right use wash and dry everything you use. That is you have to have clean tea towels. One night I went to make a meal. and was looking for tea towels but they were all thrown on the ground in a heap. I took a photo of them and while I was doing this one of the cleaners quickly took them away and put up new ones. Ok. Went to do laundry that night and they were thown on the floor in a heap. I just after doing the laundry. They were still there the following morning and still there at 1:30 the following day. The tea towels that were there in the kitchen were dirty. I informed reception of this and requested new tea towels oh we'll send the cleaner in with new ones and I also informed them about the tea towels been thrown on the ground and they didn't seem to care. Would you see this in any other hostel? Would you do this with your own washing? No I Dont think so.

The rooms have no air con

Room Tip: Go to another hostel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Pa O
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was here visiting a friend living and working at the hostel. The building is quite modern with a lot of facilities (big kitchen, swimming pool, laundry), the bathrooms are clean and the rooms quite comfortable and not too crowded (I was in the cheapest one and there were only 9 beds). There are a lot of activities to enjoy (movie night, pizza night and so on) and it's a great place to relax. The guys working there are all very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ilasma
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in this hostel it was near everything but the road down to the hostel is not lit at night! The bathrooms and kitchen were spotless! Free pancakes for breakfast some days! Free surf boards and boogie boards were available also! However I was sharing 4 bed dorm with my friends and on a Saturday night someone got into our room with a key card, pretty creepy! When we got to our next hostel I realised some of my bags of clothes that were on the top of my rucksack - beside the door were missing! There are lockers available in the room!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

It's got a nice pool, free bikes which is awesome and the rooms were clean.

Wasn't a vast amount going on while I was there in terms of events, which is what I look for as a solo traveller, but still a great place to stay if you're travelling with friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo