“Don't bother, find something better.”

Planula B&B Retreat
Ranked #17 of 34 Byron Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2010

It is located down a dirt track off the road leading into Byron Bay. Finding the reception and office is an extremely untidy state with the floor covered in boxes and goods was an ominous sign of what was to come. Our room was next to the owner's car port which was also untidy. Our room was basic with cheap furniture and no TV, the mattress was made wider with cheap foam to fit the wooden base, the curtains were dirt stained, one of our pillow slips was stained and the towels were cheap and worn. We were promised a lovely continental breakfast but that too was very basic, consisting of cereals, only full cream milk, nice Helgas bread, 6 apples, 1 banana and a good selection of tea and plunger coffee.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chris M
planula, Owner at Planula B&B Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

How unfortunate that we can't please everybody. Having unhappy guests is a stressful, but fortunately, rare occurrence.

We aim to provide comprehensive information on our web site about our location, ambience and Byron Bay in general. The fact that we are at the end of an unsealed road is mentioned in the directions and not something we would even try to hide.

Our choice not to offer TVs and DVD-players in the individual rooms has been a very conscious one as it adds to the tranquility we have to offer.

The extensive continental breakfast has actually only quality items including freshly baked bread (on this particular morning) or muffins, banana bread or fruit salad depending on the day. The range of spreads available include Nutella, good peanutbutter, honey, Vegemite, and french jams. We also do have a range of fruit available - not just apples and bananas-, orange juice and fruit yoghurts. There is a choice of full cream milk or soy milk available and any other requests can be catered for. Plunger coffee and a wide selection of teas are available throughout the day.

There are a couple of valid points made, such as the stain on the pillow case and the curtains (not acceptable indeed) which have been looked into and taken care of.

In short, we do believe that Chris and partner had very different expectations of what we have on offer and from the comment made to us directly in regards of the lack of pastries at breakfasts and comments on the furniture we believe they would have been happier staying at a 5 star B&B or more generic accommodation.

We encourage any readers to also have a look at our other reviews on this page and visit our website to find out what Planula is all about.

Wandy & Tim Hochgrebe
Owners - Planula B&B Retreat

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Planula is a relaxing and friendly place to stay in the Byron hinterland - about five minutes from the township and beach. It is run by Wandy and Tim who looked after us very well. The fire was lit in the late afternoon when we returned home from our busy days at the Byron Bay Writers' Festival and the fridge was always well stocked. The large timber A-frame is surrounded by trees and the location is quiet and beautiful. We had the two large bedrooms upstairs and enjoyed the living area downstairs which has all the facilities you could wish for. We had a wonderfully relaxing and happy time at Planula.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank margieg09
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My partner & i really enjoyed our stay, if it's nice friendly people, tranquility, and a whole lotta quiet is required then this place is the bomb. The owners/hosts are lovely, the room was fine (i suggest going the one with the double spa) and the surrounds are awesome. It was a really great experience that i would sugest to anyone going to byron for a romantic getaway. Would go again but for longer in a heartbeat

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crazyhorse04
Reviewed March 18, 2010

If you want to get in touch with your inner self then this would be ideal, but I guess we were just not the sort that appreciated it fully. The Garden Suite sounds grander than it actually is, with a very tiny bathroom and no furniture other than what you would expect - wardrobe, chest, bedside table with a window seat that we made up into a bed as there were 3 of us. No mirror other than in bathroom, no TV etc. Others in our party had the deluxe spa room, but we were unable to take advantage of the spa bath due to large friendly cockroaches. Beds were not made up overnight which I had expected with it being a B & B. Hosts are very friendly and helpful. It is extremely dark at night with very little lighting and I struggled to find my way. Very laid back, so much so that I did wonder whether I should empty the dishwasher which one felt obliged to fill after the self serve breakfast. Fascinating place, but unfortunately not for us.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SueTilley
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Byron Bay is so expensive - we ideally wanted a seaside place but they were way out of our budget unless you wanted backpackers. So we opted to be a little out of town with Planular - def a great choice. It was lovely - bush setting, very peaceful - probably a lot like the real Byron Bay used to be in fact! Clean, great staff and an oasis from the traffic of Byron Bay - unless you have lots of cash and can afford a splurge right by the water I would recommend Planular as a great option for somewhere peaceful, clean, great value and only 5 mins drive to Byron Bay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank foodfascist
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Thank you Tim and Wandy for opening up your piece of paradise to travellers! I LOVE Planula, and I didn't want to leave! I stayed 4 nights and I could happily have stayed 4 weeks. The accomodation was lovely and quiet, just the sounds of the rainforest to lull me to sleep at night. I adored being out on the deck and laying in the hammock for hours at a time. I wasn't sure about the distance to the beach since I didn't have transport, but the bike hire was very handy and I enjoyed my little ride each day to the town and the beach (only 10 minutes ride max.) on the easy and safe bike track. I also really appreciated being able to use the well equipped kitchen to cook my own meals, this was a big bonus. The rooms were spotlessly clean (I had to swap rooms because I extended my stay!) and very comfortable. I loved the garden room and it was nice to have the private access, but the spa room was also a real treat. Tim & Wandy's hospitality and friendliness knows no bounds, and they both went out of their way to help me out on more than a few occasions. As a solo traveller I felt very comfortable here, but it is so relaxing and quiet I can't wait to bring my husband back with me next time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank RaeleneinTas
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I have just spent 4 amazing nights at this place. It's located about 2km out of Byron Bay so ideally you need a car, otherwise you can hire a bicycle and ride into town. It is a very long walk to town - about 40 mins - especially in the heat. Belongil Beach is a gorgeous beach about a 20 minute walk and from there you can walk along the beach into town. On the other side of Ewingsdale Rd there is the Arts and Industry Park which has numerous shops including retail outlets and some places to eat. The Byron Bay Cookie Factory has 2 locations there. I have to mention the breakfasts are really wonderful and almost everyday there was fresh muffins! Tim and Wandy are very friendly and accomodating hosts and always very helpful. My Garden Ensuite room was on the ground floor overlooking the gardens and was really spacious and clean. I had a huge bed which was really comfortable. I slept very well and the noises outside didn't disturb me. I love that there is a huge outdoor deck area which table and chairs and it's a nice place to sit and have breakfast. There is also a hammock.

One more thing while i was there i did 2 of the Byron Bay WIldlife Tours - the Platypus Tour and the WIldlife Tour which i highly recommend doing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo