“One of the best dive centres I've experienced”

Byron Bay Dive Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: We dive at Julian Rocks marine sanctuary- home to tropical species such as turtles and manta rays, as well as over four hundred different species of fish. A small selection can be seen in our photos.We cater for all levels of experience. Join one of our guided diving or snorkel trips that go out every day and let our dive crew show you one of Australia’s most spectacular dive sites.At the Byron Bay Dive Centre you can complete a range of PADI and SSI dive courses but be prepared to share your classroom with giant sea turtles and friendly blue gropers.The Byron Bay Dive Centre is the only diving facility in Byron Bay that issues PADI, SSI and NAUI diving certifications.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Byron Bay Dive Centre is well up there with the best dive centres I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Extremely well run and organised, welcoming and professional staff, great dive briefings, good equipment, good boats and skippers. The diving itself is, in my opinion the best in Australia! Head and shoulders above the Great Barrier Reef. I hope Perry and Rob continue this operation for years to come. Can't wait to visit again!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"safety stop"
"warmer water"

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Really nice and helpful staff. Unfortunately due to weather the snorkelling tour ($55 for boat transfer and one hour snorkelling) was cancelled both days I was there. They have an 8am start and a 2 pm start.

Apparently you can see turtles, rays and leopard sharks. Can't wait for next time

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is the second time in a row I've booked a dive with Byron Bay Dive Centre only to drive for two hours to have my dive cancelled.

This time was by far the worst experience. At best it was disorganised, potentially plain dishonest.

I booked an 8am dive initially. I got a call the next day saying that dive had been cancelled due to the tides and I could dive at 11am. It was inconvenient, but I took the 11am dive.

On the day of the drive, on my way to the dive centre, I got a call saying that the 11am slot had been cancelled due to tides and I could take a 2pm slot (which I couldn't make). The person mentioned that the morning dive went ahead and the afternoon dive would be fine. When I explained that I had been booked in for the morning dive and had it cancelled by another staff member due to the tide, I was told that I was not told that. The staff member said that I was told that I was cancelled due to the morning dive being full. Having the recorded message stating tide as the reason for the 8am cancellation and remembering checking the tide charts after the conversation, I was 100% sure I knew what I was told.

When I got to speak to the manager, I was given yet another reason for the 11am cancellation, which was a swim event blocking the boats. I was also told that the 8am dive did not go ahead.

I recommend avoiding Byron Bay Dive Centre if you don't like getting messed around or treated like an idiot. Tide times and major swimming events are known well in advance yet the staff can't seem to plan for them for them and don't seem to care if customers get stuffed around with cancellations. The fact that they gave so many conflicting stories about why their dives were cancelled indicates to me their either disorganised (at best), or potentially dishonest (making up stories to cover their poor planning).

7  Thank Scarra44
Byron Bay Dive C, Owner at Byron Bay Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

It is unfortunate that the Scarra44's booking did not go as planned and we fully accept responsibility for this.

At no point were any of the staff members intentionally dishonest. On this particular day both the tides and a late change in maritime regulations relating to the swim event contributed to the confusion.

On the day of the cancellation we apologised to the reviewer, provided a full refund and offered a free dive at a time of their choosing.

As it is always our intention to give everybody an experience that is both safe and enjoyable, the offer of a complimentary dive still stands.

Byron Bay Dive Centre

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great crew, fun but super organised & efficient... fantastic dive too... cannot recommend them highly enough.

Perfect for beginners & experienced alike. Dived with them a few times & even when conditions weren't ideal they still make sure everyone has a good time.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have dived a real lot over the past 20 years, most in tropical north qld, and for all my diving i still prefer to dive at Julian Rocks, about 5mins offshore from Byron Bay.

I dive regularly with Byron Bay Dive Centre and find their approach to diving refreshing. A good balance between allowing freedom and babying - i find the approach of most facilities in north qld to be completely over the top, i mean i am certified and i can dive, why insist on holding my hand?

Byron Bay Dive Centre has a great way of making you feel completly at home. From the warm, friendly welcome when you first arrive, to the walk-through of the facility.

The dive sites are amazing; although my favorite is either 'needles' or 'hugos trench'.

I highly reccomend Byron Bay Dive Centre to divers and non-divers alike (while i have never been snorkelling with Byron Bay Dive Centre, I watch how they treat their snorkellers - like kings and queens).

3  Thank Simon C