Rae's on Wategos
Byron Beachcomber Resort(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
$120
Hibiscus Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
$113
$109
Byron Sunseeker Motel Byron Bay(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
$93
$87
Agoda.com
Atlantic Byron Bay(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
$145
$141
Bay Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
$120
$113
  • Beachfront
Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay(Skinners Shoot)(Great Value!)
$107
$91
$371
$328
$343
$334
Orbitz.com
The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa(Suffolk Park)(Great Value!)
$312
$214
Beach Suites(Byron Bay)
$306
$267
Hotwire.com
All reviewsrae's restaurantcrab linguinemoreton baymatching winesraviolomoroccan suiteseafood degustationlong lunchan institutionsmall hotelworth every centboutique hotelcontinental breakfastprivate poolthe penthouselocal produceamazing location
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Our stay at Rae's was perfect, we absolutely loved it. Rae's is an incredible hotel, a very magical place with a beautifully unique feel. The service was impeccable; the staff were so welcoming, polite and friendly, anticipating our needs perfectly. The rooms are wonderful, they are full of unique pieces of furniture and art, which gives it a very original creative ambiance. The location of Rae's is second to none, it is nestled seconds away from Watego's beach, which has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, or if you don't feel like walking the few metres to the beach, you can laze on the daybeds around the pool with a drink in hand. The food was sensational, absolutely delicious, fresh scrumptious ingredients, and because the restaurant was so wonderful it meant we did not have to leave the hotel at all, which was so relaxing. We had a perfect escape and came back home invigorated and refreshed. The atmosphere at Rae's made us so naturally relaxed we did not feel the need to enjoy any of the spa treatments, although they looked wonderful and next time, I'll definitely be booking in. We highly recommend at trip to Rae's it is a very special and enriching place.

Room Tip: Perfect location and delicious restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Camilla12345
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We arrived at Rae' and we were greeted by Marion who looked after us and our baby from the word go. From our beautiful beach front child friendly room, to the massage and facials in the most wonderful day spa. In the restaurant the setting is breath taking, the food and service was fantastic and had no problem accomodating any dietary needs.
Overall we cannot recommend Rae' highly enough without doubt we will be back.
Thank you to the Team at Rae' for making our week so wonderful and our babies first birthday special.
Also big thanks to the owner Vinnie for bring our daughter her first cupcake with a candle gingerbread man coffee for us at 7 am!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank haniarose
Reviewed April 10, 2011

My wife and I were looking for something special to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We found it at Raes on Wategos. Unlike major hotel chain experiences we didnt feel "processed". Everthing was so personal and friendly....the welcome on arrival..... the exquisite flower arrangement ... the arrangement of a private candlelit anniversary dinner....it really was extraordinary. The restaurant served delicious local produce. ...And then the amazing architecture, art & furnishings of the hotel..all sitting on Australia's best beach location ! It was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bartz013
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I generally avoid contributions to such websites as this, lest I become one of the serial complainers or one among the legion of the terminally aggrieved who seem to revel in finding fault in the tiniest perceived omission, but I feel that Rae's deserves mentioning in dispatches for several reasons. First of all, the location is unimpeachable. Watego beach has the sweetest ocean surf I've ever swum in, and after five days here, the legendary healing qualities of these Pacific waters are evident beyond words. Secondly, the suites in this gorgeous, small hotel are intimate and exquisitely decorated in a fusion theme of south Asian furnishings, sumptuous fabrics and soothing colours and the entire location is bejewelled with David Bromley artwork, some of which confronting, all of which gorgeous. Thirdly, there has not been a molecule of food or drink that has passed my lips whilst a guest at Rae's that hasn't, at the very least, been very good indeed. In fact, there have been two dining experiences here that, simply put, have been among the finest, freshest meals I've had on earth during my long life to date. Finally, to the redoubtable staff for whom nothing, simply nothing is too much trouble, I can only offer my sincere thanks. Subtle, friendly, relaxed, understated. Pure perfection.

I am an expatriate Australian and this has been my first journey home in eight years. These five days at Rae's at Watego Beach have reminded me of, and deeply rekindled, a long forgotten love of my country. This place is so exquisitely located in the midst of rain forest, beneath the venerable Cape Byron light, and within eyeshot of Captain Cook's Mount Warning, it is hard sometimes to distinguish between the beginning of the one thing, and the end of the other. Leaving will be agony. I am changed by staying at Rae's. My heart has changed, and I am rested and restored beyond that which I thought was longer possible. Recommended in the highest possible terms.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank PilotLondon
Reviewed January 21, 2011

After looking forward to our week at Rae's we left feeling disappointed. We travel a lot and have stayed in all sorts of hotels, guesthouses and resorts of varying standards. This is the first time that I have felt compelled to write a review of complaint.

I should make a distinction between the guesthouse and the restaurant. The restaurant is fabulous with beautiful food, outstanding service and all in a gorgeous location. We loved the restaurant!

Unfortunately, the guesthouse was very disappointing.

It was all the little things that added up to sour the experience.

We weren't made to feel welcome when we arrived. After being told she couldn't deal with us yet (!) we wandered into town and then came back and were told very clearly by the same woman at reception/office that she was very busy because she was in the middle of giving someone a treatment in the spa and was just quickly doing something in the office!

We weren't shown to our room rather we were given a key and carried our own bags up. We were going to just put this down to a wobbly start - but the disappointments continued.

We were rung by one of the staff on our first morning (we were still in bed) to see if they could send someone to fix the exhaust fan (we hadn't yet realised it was broken). We were obliging and didn't complain and gave them a time. The exhaust fan did not get fixed during our stay. Nor did one of the windows/shutters that wouldn't open.

The tea bags in the room were very mouldy with little dead bugs (quite a few) obviously sitting around them and I asked for fresh ones and she just piled them in on top of the mouldy ones and the bugs!

After a few days we rang and asked for clean sheets when they serviced the room that day (after a few days of beach time they were quite sandy) and the response was a very polite and happy yes. It didn't happen - which we realised later that night as we climbed into our sandy sheets. So the next day we waited for the staff member servicing our room and politely explained and asked that they be changed - second time lucky.

When my husband went to store an empty bag under the bed (which is quite high off the ground) he discovered that it clearly hadn't been swept or cleaned for quite some time (it was actually pretty filthy).

After a day of rain the room spelt completely dank and we had to air it out although the smell didn't go away and when it rained again it got worse.

Some of the remote controls were the right ones (for the tv/dvd etc) but some were the wrong ones and didn't work (we assumed somehow mixed up with another room).

The list goes on but this is enough to explain our disappointment. There were just too many things wrong for an establishment with such a high rating.

Unfortunately I can't recommend Rae's Guesthouse.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pairoftravellers
RAESONWATEGOSTM, Owner at Rae's on Wategos, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

In response to your review, during your stay at Rae’s On Wategos we experienced the worst floods in the last 100 years. The rain did not let up for months on end and in circumstances such as these enclosed spaces can become moist very quickly so we apologize if your room smelt dank. The building is over 50 years old with a flat roof and is not airtight. With regards to the debris under the bed we were informed by the cleaning staff that they found the windows to the room left wide open during the time of strong winds and rain therefore causing leaves from the surrounding trees to blow into the room and under the bed.
Marionne is the most acclaimed spa director in Australia and is well loved by all of our guests and staff and we have never received a complaint regarding her service in the past. In peak season rooms are always ready at check in time, in low season sometimes we can accommodate an early check in if previously arranged but not during peak season in torrential rain. We are pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant service, food and surrounds. The team at Rae’s find it very distressing to hear of guests disappointed with their stay after they have left as we always strive for excellence in service and cleanliness and do our utmost to rectify any issue brought to our attention immediately.