“Great place to meet people”

Aquarius Backpackers Motel
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
“Great place to meet people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Such a social hostel with the bar right in it I like the free welcome drink it gives you a chance to meet all the people who are new to byron like you and the $5 meals brings everyone together as it's so cheap everyone takes part. I was in a 10 bed female dorm I felt like I was only sharing between 5 girls though with the split level only complaint would be the cooking supplies in the kitchen they look really good but not the best to use cannot complain about it I just went and ate the cheap bar food instead!

• Stayed May 2014
Aquariusbackpackers, Manager at Aquarius Backpackers Motel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thanks heaps for your review, noted on kitchen utensils, thanks for the heads up! Good to hear you enjoyed the $5 feed and the bar, the split level dorms are good for sharing, and like you said make the dorm feel like you are sharing with less people. Cheers for taking the time to write a review.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

My friends and I decided to go back to byron for a second time to see if we would like it better than the first time (staying at Nomads). We were greeted at the junction by a complimentary service bus - impressed. When we got to the motel to check in everyone was so welcoming and happy and once we checked it we got complimentary drinks - very impressed. THEN when we walked up the stairs there is a hammock common area - sold. Aquarius has the best staff that absolutely made our weekend - Bellinda, Brad, Romey, Owen, Sarah, etc.. not to mention they have a karaoke night with a smoke machine. Cannot get any better. Oh wait, it can. 15% off all food at their amazing restaurant and they have the cheapest drinks for guests AND they have Caesars. I find my paradise and it is Aquarius.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Aquariusbackpackers, Manager at Aquarius Backpackers Motel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thanks for your review! So awesome to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back again for another visit. I will pass on your compliments to staff you mentioned, I'm sure it will make their day!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

If anyone has a bad critic about this hostel, should'nt stay in hostels anymore...change to an hotel! I stayed there for 3 months and I can tell this is basically a 5- stars- hostel (and this was the same opinion of most of the people I met there)
The biggest room I've ever been in a hostel, bathroom inside, lockers, every room has either a balcony or a patio where you can chill out with your friends and It's cleaned up every morning.
Kitchen is big and they have big tables so you can sit have breakfast with your friends. They have a bar and at least in the time I was staying there, they organised every night different activities at the bar, and you got free dinner with your drink.
There's also a cafe where you can eat well.
Depending on the other guest, it can be a bit noisy (or not), but the bouncers always try to keep it quiet in the rooms and try to get the people to drink in the bar.
ou and best part it's 2 blocks from the beach.
Lovely byron

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thanks heaps for thinking of us and writing a review. So stoked that you loved Aquarius and the activities we offer. Hope that you will come back in the future to stay again.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Dorms were always dirty - didn't want to take my thongs off whilst in the room and definitely not in the bathroom as the floor was always black with dirt and covered in hair. I was there 4 days and the bathroom was only cleaned once. Fans in room didn't work so was roasting at night. Staff generally weren't friendly or polite at all - they'd continue their personal conversation when I went up to the desk to ask about things so I would be left standing there awkwardly while they talked. That happened a number of times. No personal service whatsoever. Only good thing about this place is the location as it's right next to the beach and also the pick up from the bus stop. Individual rooms may be better.

Honestly, I couldn't wait to leave.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
So sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay at Aquarius. Our rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily by our professional housekeeping team, I find it hard to believe that your bathroom was only cleaned once in your stay and cleaning logs shows otherwise. I have taken your comments about the reception staff on-board, reception can get slammed sometimes and it is probably the most stressful job in the hostel. 99% of the time when staff are conversing it is work related but I am truly sorry if you felt you were being ignored or not given enough attention.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and thanks for the feedback.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Overall very friendly and helpful. Easy pickup shuttle bus from the bus stop and back, close to the beach and good value for money. The rooms were very spacious and ensuite, with a table and chairs, enough lockers for everyone and a balcony or courtyard for each room.
The kitchen was massive and clean, lots of activities available to book from the hostel and always a party going on in the bar.
On the whole a very comfortable stay in Byron!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to write a review we really appreciate your positive feedback. We hope you comeback and stay with us again in the future!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms with bathrooms in the rooms and a balkony.
The kitchen was big and clean, so cooking with friends was fun.
The Hostel has also a really cheap bar, were we drunk alkohol before going out. The food in the bar was also really cheap and tasty!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed the activities we put on in the Bar. Ahh hostel kitchens can be a nightmare to keep clean, and your right everyone needs to be considerate of others and clean up after themselves. Thankyou for your kind comments about our afterhours security/night managers, it a hard job and not very nice hours, but Quentin and Crawford do there best to ensure everyone get a peaceful nights rest. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review!
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Byron Bay. The staff are all efficient, friendly and helpful and the management are excellent.
My room (4 bed) was comfy and cleaned every day along with the ensuite bathroom. there is also a sink and draining board that is very handy.
The bar has an entertaining array of things happening during the week which include trivia night, Karaoke and a pool comp to name a few. The cafe attached also serves beautiful coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner and you get 15% off at both the bar and cafe if you show them your aquarius wristband. This hostel was well worth the money and I would come back here in a heartbeat!
I do, however, feel that the kitchen could be improved upon. It gets cleaned but the I feel the staff are fighting a loosing battle as other residents were very dirty and inconsiderate of others. As for previous comments I have read on here about the security staff, I feel that they are greatly unfounded. The security at Aquarius is excellent with someone on site all night doing walk abouts and checking that everything is OK. They are professional, considerate and very tolerant.
Thank you Aquarius for making my stay in Byron Bay an amazing one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thankyou for your feedback! I actually made a mistake and wrote a response to your feedback on the previous review...not very smart of me :) Anyways I really appreciate your review it make all our days here to get positive feedback like yours!