“Was good”

Aquarius Backpackers Motel
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Room with bathroom inside was really enjoyable, but sometimes a little bit tough when you are 8 people in the room ! The room was quiet all the time unlocked, people didn't care about thief (but maybe there are no thieves in this hippy town ;) ).
Respect for the one who need to sleep at night, and no alcohol in the room which is good.
It was a nice stay in this lovely town.
A bad point : the girl staff when I checked in, drunk from the last night, incapable of telling me what there is to do around, for free, when and where is the market... :/

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Aquariusbackpackers, Manager at Aquarius Backpackers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Glad to hear you had a good nights sleep and you had good dorm buddies. Bathrooms in dorm rooms have there positives and negatives but over all I think the convenience of not have to walk down a long hallway in the middle of the night out way the negatives of waiting a little longer for a shower. About reception, so sorry you did not get the level of service you should have, and I will look into this further. Thankyou for your feedback and taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

The bar was good.. But apart from that, I found the whole place Rey over rated and over priced! $15 for wifi... Very noisy at night.. The fridge is apparently cleaned everyday?? It was disgusting, smelt like a bin! And lastly the bouncers were all d***s! Very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014

Sorry you didn't fully enjoy your stay, our large walk in fridge is cleaned out twice a week, it a hard job to manage when people don't label there food, as we don't want to throw out guests food. Needless to say I have taken your comment about the fridge on board and am personally monitoring the fridges level of cleanliness.

Wifi $15??? No our rate for Wifi is $5 for 24hrs. Our Wifi is good quality and is available in the comfort of all our rooms. I think offering a good quality internet service at a minimal price is better then "free" poor quality wifi which is only available in a limited area as some hostel offer. We also offer free wifi in our café if your having a coffee or something to eat.

Sad to hear about your experience with security, We have two night manager/security and both of them are the most easy going and patient people I know. It's hard to keep the peace at night when people are coming back late after a few to many drinks. If you feel you were treated unfairly by them I wholly apologize on behalf of them.

Anyways enjoy your travels and take it easy.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was in a room of 8 beds but it was still spacious but a little dark. We couldn't open our front curtains all the way because we were the first room by the entrance and everyone walked by. Loved the patio to leave our clothes out to dry though. A big plus was the extra sink not in the bathroom because it allowed for getting ready and teeth brushing while someone else was showering.
The bathroom itself was just alright and the shower was level with the rest of the bathroom so that was problematic as it lead to water everywhere.
The location was great because it's on a main street in Bryon and everything is walkable, including the beach!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cameragirl310
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at Aquarius for almost two weeks and was happy with my choice. I was in a 10 bed, but it had more space than any other hostel room I’ve stayed in. Two people had a private room, and the other four bunks were against the walls in a long, wide room. There were lockers, a dresser/mirror, and a table, but there was still tons of room left over. We also had a balcony to sit out on as well as a really nice en suite bathroom with a skylight. However, the rooms on the other side of the building- the building reception is in- were set up a bit differently with less space (two bunks each on two different floors) and one big roof area for everyone on that side, but it was still nice.

There’s a bar attached where you can get money off on food and drinks if you’re staying in the building, and they have events on all week that they do a good job of promoting. Also the hostel is in a great location, just a few blocks from the beach or the bars and shops. My biggest complaints about the hostel were that the kitchen was a bit dirty, there are only two laundry machines and dryers for the whole hostel, and reception was kind of rude. I’m not usually negative about staff, but whenever I’d go to the front desk they seemed more preoccupied with finishing their own conversations first and then acted like it was an inconvenience to help you with what you needed. The hostel itself was great though so these were minor issues.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2013

While travelling we stayed here on two separate occasions. The first was for 7 days. We were blessed with an awesome group in our 8 bedroom dorm and although we were told we had to change rooms half way through our stay the receptionist ensured we all got to stay together in another room. The drinks at the bar were cheap and the dinner was free with a vegetarian option - if you're into that kind of stuff.

On our second stay it was a bit more disappointing as the bar was closed for the season and free dinner was no longer offered. This was not reflected in the price and we were not notified of these changes until we had already paid and asked for the meal vouchers. On the positive side, when the bar is closed you are allowed to openly drink in the rooms.

Rooms are spacious and have tables both inside and outside which was great for socializing. Security is 24 hours and he was friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I'd say this hostel was pretty average, was good for us (we were only there for a weekend) but wouldn't suggest it if you were planning on staying for longer. The bathroom/shower was pretty dirty and shared between 10 people. The staff were all very friendly and helpful though, and since the bar closed you can drink pretty much wherever which is also great :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Its a shame I was only here the 1 night cause I wanted to stay forever... I checked in around midnight and usually u have weird creepy old guys doing the grave yard shift but not here this guy was awesome, very helpful, super friendly and in saying that so was all the staff...
rooms are gigantic, so spacious and the bathroom was reasonably sized.
I loved byron and I also loved this hostel, my roommates were lovely really welcoming and this is what u want when ur travelling solo.
Will definatly be recommending this placeito anyone going to byron...
cheers guys