“Not so good”

The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The owners were very nice, the ambiance was funky. The room "cube" was small, the bed pretty bad. There was no window above the door, so there was too much noise. The bathroom was ok.
There wasn't enough dishes to cook in the kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ArtsFactoryByronBay, Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Lily,

Thanks for your feedback, i am glad you found the managers friendly and thee ambience funky. I will have a look at noise levels with the staff, especailly at night, as we may be able to reduce the noise if it is too loud, as you mentioned. I will also make sure we are checking the kitchen for equipment more frequently, we do try to keep on top of this, but you wouldn't believe how quickly it goes missing! I will also askt he housekeeping team to monitor bathrooms so we can lift them from being okay to being good! May travels be safe and happy!

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here twice and the rooms are quite good for the price, clean and comfortable! Fun but not luxurious!
The restaurant is lovely and have been dozens of times! Great entertainment and amazing food for good value! They even have a cinema! And with cow skin lying down couches!!

• Stayed: December 2012

Thanks so much for your great response! We look forward to having you stay anoth time.
Best wishes from the Arts Factory team!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Second time staying here with my husband. Love it!
Funky, relaxed backpackers surrounded by tea trees.
Rooms are basic and clean. Pool is lovely and fun. Staff are lovely and helpful.
Nice location about a ten minute stroll from e beach/ shops etc. and tour desk for bookings on site.
Stayed in a tent room the first time ( on the "island"), which was great in summer...glad I went for " the cube" in winter.
A fun and relaxing place, where it is easy to make new friends if you want, or do your own thing if you prefer.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray. And a torch. Tents rooms / tepees will be cold in winter!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your kind words Rhi, I am glad to hear you enjoy staying with us. Please note, we do provide bug spray at reception and moquito coils, just ask at the desk. Also, if you ask when you book, we may be able to put you into an island retreat with an elevtric blanket! We have a few for winter time. Best wishes from the Arts Factory team

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The "funky abodes" aren't as enticing as they sound. It gets pretty chilly at night (in May/June) and there's no heat anywhere.The Lakeside Cottage bathroom was constantly muddy with mold on the shower curtain. The water was hot, but the pressure was weak. It's a 10 minute walk into town. It was nice having the movie Buddha Bar and the indie movie theater right across the parking lot. The hostel does go to greater lengths than most to organize and provide activities like open mic nights and drumming workshops. No free wifi- just Global Gossip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear SK, tahnk you for your comments. I am glad to hear you enjoy our activities, as we do go to a lot of trouble to provide some good workshops and entertainment. You will be happy to hear that the open fire is lit every evening in the common room for winter, and we have a heater in the Lakeside cottage too! I will make sure the housekeeping team spends some extra time on the Lakeside bathroom and we get a new shower curtain! Best wishes from the Arts Factory team!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I had the best time here , met some truly wonderful, down to earth people.
Great food from the cafe, good staff. Dorms were quite good and clean. Same with the bathrooms. Shame about the lack of privacy though when on the loo.
I wouldn't recommend the teepee as it got very cold in the night and were tons of Mosquitos!
Although it is quite cool to stay there.
I recommend this hostel to anyone ! Fab week and nimbin was cool too.
Make sure you say yes to.. Talent show.. Beach party and drumming in the week.
I would say go if you are young and into hippy culture.
Great week thanks guys

Room Tip: Stay in dorms not teepee or tent..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your kind words, it is really awesome to hear you say t was your best week in Oz!
Happy travels and best wishes from the Arts Factory team!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I planned my trip with the help of a backpackers agency, so when I booked this hostel, I wasn't quite aware of the true nature of it. Upon my arrival, I was shocked to see the grounds. It is definitely a place for people that want to disappear from society and really enjoy nature. The building/room I was in wasn't the cleanest I've seen, but neither was the whole place. I'm pretty sure it was built by hippies and nothing has changed since then. The bathroom was full of bugs and I had to wear insect repellent the entire time I was there to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I ate breakfast at the hostel, which was delicious, but not quite worth the money I paid for it. The hostel is not located in the town, so you either have to walk (approx. 15-20 minutes) or take the shuttle van, which doesn't run on a regular basis. The people were all really friendly, but this isn't somewhere I would choose to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kward09
artsfactory_13, Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thanks for your revew on TripAdvisor Kward. The Arts Factory is not for everyone, and if you stay when the mosquitos are present, it can detract from the experience. We are located out of town on 5 acres of sub tropical rainforest, which some peoplpe really enjoy the escape and some don't. We were not built by hippies, but have had valuable input and assistance from many guests of our 20 year life span, so the place can be eccelctic in the feel and atmosphere. I assure we do clean the property regulalry, kitchens twice a day, with checks in between, and all bathrooms 3 times a day. In peak times like April, we can no sooner clean than it is a mess again, but the property is never unhygenic! One of the things the Arts Factory tried to do is offer an authentice Byron Bay experience, which is alternative and creative! Enjoy your travels, and maybe if you are in byron Bay again, try our other Nomads property, Nomads Byron Bay, which is a new falshpackers in the centre of town. Happy travels!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very basic accommodation. It is located in a wetland area, I was in a canvas structure on an island. It was dirty and there was no security (except a small lock on the zipper entrance). There was mould on the canvas. (See the pictures.) It was noisy at night. No free WIFI and washing machines were $4 for wash and $4 to dry.

It is located 15 min walk from town center.

If you want to enjoy Byron Bay do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank William D

Dear KWard,

Thanks for your comments. The Arts Factory is not for everyone, and we sometimes have a problem with mosquitos in the summer, I guess that is offset by the natural environment. I admit we do try to have a funky and hippy typw of vibe, but interestingly enough the hostel wasn't actually build by hippy's, although many of our guests have contibuted to making and buidling the property, which makes it kind of eccelctic. I hope your travels are going well! Best wishes from the Arts Factory team!