“I'm not good at camping, so couldn't wait to move on...”

The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I'm just being honest. If I'd wanted to camp, I'd have taken a tent and gone solo into the outback. I didn't though, and booking into this place turned out not to be a good idea. I love wildlife but I don't think the wildlife appreciated the screaming, midnight parties that went on every night. The place was dirty (and I mean 'unhygenic' dirty) and some of the staff were indifferent. I'd booked in 2 nights but only stayed for 1. 'Nuff said.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night despite the fact that I had paid for two. Could not stand any longer in the dirty (disgusting) hole of a place. Got bit by bugs all night, the toilets and kitchen were like something from a horror film.

The people were not very friendly and the staff rude (they all look very peace and love but they are actually more fake and trying to portray a certain image image...maybe they think they are too cool)

Overall just makes you feel dirty.

I am not easily turned so negative but this place certainly did it!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont Go!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had heard amazing reviews about this place, even years before I went to Byron. I had high expectations as it comes highly recommended by alot of people.
It really didn't live up to my expectations. The people are not all that friendly, there wasn't really a nice chilled atmosphere as I expected. I met up with friends I had made all down the coast, so we hung out together. Aside from that it would have been lonely!
It's quite a way out of town, i would stay in Nomads instead.
Good food though.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here on 27JAN13 for 1 night with my friends. We booked a twin private room. For AUD$105, at this price you would expect at least a small bathroom, but unfortunately not. We just had a bed and bar fridge and that's it. A little steep for that price I think.

My guess is because it was the Australia Day weekend that the prices were put up a tinch because of that.

The property itself was fine, coming down from normally staying in hotels, so I tried to keep my expectations minimal as I was staying at a backpackers property.

I wasn't disappointed as you pay for what you get generally. There was a pool as you can see and lounge area and cafe. The toilet/shower facilities were fine, not immaculate, but not dirty. There is a free shuttle that runs into town quite frequently which is great.

You also have the Byron Bay Brewery on your doorstep, which was great to have a bite to eat. I found it funny that we got asked for ID (which is the requirement in Australian now, which is fine) but there were people smoking pot in there, you could smell it easily! Odd, but whatever.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

All in all I would stay here again on a cheaper rate when/if it becomes available.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It was exactly as we thought a backpackers should be. Small and a little noisy, but clean enough and all the staff were very friendly. We booked a "cube" room, very small and may be a little overpriced at $105/night but it does the job. Double bed, linen, fan table and chairs, fridge. Was a bit hot, but its summer.
Free shuttle bus at nights and also right next door to the Byron Bay Brewery/Budha Bar, which has a fantastic meal and fresh beers. The arts factory may look relatively out of the way, but it is only about 10-15min from the centre of town, as long as you can find the railway crossing. Very close to the farmers markets which are amazing also. Ticked all the boxes as far as cheap accommodation goes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Probably great back in the day, just another trashy backpackers now. Loud & dirty, the pentagon teepee is hot, mosquito ridden and next to a car park and a pub. The only good thing about this place was their ability to refund my booking.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank GypsyShelley
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We weren't sure what to expect from the Arts Factory Lodge and when we pulled up outside it looked like a hippy commune but we soon found out it captures the spirit of Byron Bay perfectly. The reception staff were friendly and efficient and drew our attention to the rules which were clearly displayed in reception. They also repeated the instructions that the smoke alarms in the rooms are super sensitive and spraying anything or using a hair dryer would set them off and result in an $800 fine (which seemed a bit steep!). They gave us info on the free shuttle bus whichs runs to town and back hourly throughout the day and night. It is a 15 min walk along residential streets which we did in the evening with no problems but you probably wouldnt want to walk it alone.

We had booked a private double which they called a 'cube' and are all situated around the pool. We were apprehensive about noise but they have a strict communal areas curfew of 10pm with no noise after 11pm. Our room was small but very nicely decorated with a mural painted on the wall and bright coloured curtains and bed linen. The shared bathrooms were very clean and well looked after as was the kitchen. We didn't actually cook in there but you had to pay a deposit for cutlery and pans etc which we assume means people would take more care of them to get their money back. We ate breakfast at the cafe and I can highly recommend the banana pancakes with maple syrup and the coffee was great too. The outside seating area overlooks the jungle camping and we watched bush turkeys and water dragons as we ate. Overall a lovely stay at the Arts Factory Lodge, the only downside was as didn't get a chance to go in the brewery and bar onsite. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012