“Don't see what all the fuss is about...”

The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
UK
“Don't see what all the fuss is about...”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, everyone was talking about it so thought we should give it a go. First room we stayed in was a hut. It had glass doors so people walking past could see in and at the top there was mesh, which I’m sure is fine in summer but it rained the entire time we were there and it’s not very good at keeping the noise out. We came back from having dinner, I was sitting on my friends bottom bunk chatting with her when under my bed I seen a cockroach scurrying around! I know they are common in Australia but this was the only place in my entire year of traveling I seen one in my bedroom! The room was a decent size however. We decided to give Byron another chance in the hope the weather would improve (which it didn’t) so we booked another 2 night in the main building. This was warmer and closer to the bathrooms etc but very small for a 6 bed dorm!
After hearing so many people rave about this place I was really disappointed as I still can’t see what all the fuss is about… It’s also a fair bit out of town, they do provide a bus but it’s first come first serve so if you are last tough as they don’t like doing a second run!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ArtsFactoryByronBay, General Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you Grey777 for your response, it helps us lift our game! I am sorry to hear there was a cockroach in the room with you, we do fumigate every 3 months, but due to our situation within 5 acres of subtropical rainforest, they still manage to get inside at times, very sorry about this. Sometimes the rain In Byron Bay can make your trip dissappointing when it is known as an iconic beach destination....it can feel very different when the sun shines and we have perfect beach days. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay, I hope your further travels have been safe and happy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in Byron Bay and when we got there it was raining. Not great! This hostel is a little out of town but there is a shuttle bus that runs regularly into town. On our first night however we couldnt find the spot where they pick you up, someone pointed us in the direction of a dark car park which looked dodgy so we got a cab instead. We soon found out where it was though and from there on travel in and out of town was no problem. We had a really funny guy driving us to a from town so it was all part of the fun.
This place has a pool which is handy to chill out in the day but there is not a great amount of space outside. We didnt want to stay in a tent so stayed in the rooms wheich were small and basic and quite warm at night. Not the most comfy place but the overall atmosphere of the staff and place makes up for it. We met some lovely people here and had a great time but if your looking for somewhere clean and quiet then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response amsderdammers! Although a mixed review, I am glad to hear there were some positive aspects and that you sorted the free transit bus during your stay. We try our best to clean and clean all the time, but being such a large hostel, we sometimes just get the kitchens and bathrooms cleaned only to have them looking like otherwise half an hour later. We too find this a constant battle that we will always prioritise to keep on top of! I am glad the overall atmosphere and staff made up for this during your stay, and overall you enjoyed your visit to our hostel.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at the hostle in our Jucy campavan which meant we were able to stay very cheap. It also meant we did not need a room and therefore cannot comment on them. When we arrived in the afternoon the kitchen was very clean, however by the evening when it came to cooking dinner it had become very dirty. This is not the fault of the hostel but those backpackers using it and not cleaning after themsleves. While we stayed the hot water was not working in the downstairs bathrooms so the upstairs showers were busy. There was only 4 showers available, 1 of which had a window on looking the car park so you shower in front of anyone who wants to look. The lady who worked reception was lovely, she was friendly and helpfull, all other staff seemed a little too laid back and didnt seem to care.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback Jonny & Amber, it is appreciated. Yes indeed we clean the kitchen 3 times a day, plus check in between, and still we find it hard to keep on top of! I am so sorry for the inconvenience of no hot water in the lower level bathrooms, this ended up a major issue to meet council requirements, it took us longer to fix than anticipated. I am happy to report it is now fully fixed! I am glad to hear the reception team were helpful & friendly, I will address staff in other areas to meet this standard, such as the cafe and housekeeping. I hope your travels are going well!
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We didn't really like this place. Firstly, it was really really hard to find, and there was a large car park but it was packed so we struggled to find a space. We ended up parking round the back and it didn't feel very secure. Reception was also difficult to find, as the Car Park was surrounded by buildings and it wasn't obvious where you needed to go. Check in itself was quick and efficient and we were shown to our rooms, which was a good thing, as otherwise they would have been difficult to find. But the rooms themselves were really not to our taste at all. We had booked private doubles, which were essentially concrete floored prison cells with an uncomfortable double bed in them, and very little else. They were very cold and unwelcoming despite being painted a nice warm shade of orange. The floor probably had been cleaned, but because they were just concrete, there was plenty of grit and dirt, meaning you couldn't walk around in your own room with no shoes on. The door opened directly into the garden/pool area and so there was no escape from the noise and the dirt. The massive gap underneath our door meant that during the night even more dirt flew in. You are not allowed to use a hair dryer or straighteners in your room, with threats of being fined and thrown out if you do because you will set the fire alarm off. This would have been OK if you could access some plug sockets but in actual fact there were only 2 sockets in the ladies shower block and once the first person had plugged in their adapter + hairdryer, the second socket was unusable as it was covered by the adapter. Someone needs to put their brain in gear and think of a better solution! I ended up drying my hair in the ironing area as this had several ironing boards and none of them were being used. I never felt clean the whole time I stayed here, there was just an overwhelming grubby feeling, the reasons for which I couldn't put my finger on. I have stayed in plenty of hostels and the main thing for me is that they are clean, this one just wasn't I'm afraid. We wished we had stayed in town instead of being lured by the concept of a "peaceful tropical haven" - there was nothing peaceful about it and when the time came I was glad to move on. I'm sure that a lot of people really like it here for the atmosphere/cinema/brewery bar/pool/garden - but it just wasn't clean and comfortable enough for us.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sticky11
Thank you for your comments Sticky11, they are very important in helping our business improve. I am sorry to hear you felt insecure in the carpark, and I hope your safety was not compromised or you experienced a break in or theft to your car? We have no other feedback as to the car parking area being unsafe, so we will make sure this is monitored. I am sorry to hear you found the "warning" signs for setting off the fire alarms threatening. This is actually not our business, but local council and the NSW Fire Service that threatens a fine, we do not wish to see our guests geta $800 fine on their behalf, that is why we have the notices up. Note; there is no threat guests will be thrown out if the alarm goes off. I am sorry to hear you felt an overwhelming grubby feeling. It can be the fact the building is old and we are a very busy hostel. It is cleaned constantly - the rooms daily and the public bathrooms and kitchens 3 times a day. Thank you for mentioning the quick and efficient check in and the individual escort to your room! We pride ourself on our reception guest services. As mentioned, I understand our property may not be to your taste at all. For your next visit to Byron Bay, please try our other Nomads property - Nomads Byron Bay. This hostel is a flashpacker resort with deluxe rooms and located right in town. I hope your travels are safe and happy! Thank you for your extensive feedback :-)

Travelers are raving about these Byron Bay hotels

Montreal
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Throughout my travels around Aus, everyone told me to check out the Arts Factory when in Byron. I was definitely not disappointed, as it lived up to its reputation as a hippie haven. Thankfully, for my tastes, we stayed during a quiet period. We had one night where the noise from the nearby bar ran a little later than we had hoped (due to a long day of traveling). But it wasn't anything more than expected really for a hostel. The location was pretty good, just a short 10 minute stroll into the main part of Byron, and a shuttle that ran frequently as well to take you in. It was a little pricey for what you get, there's no doubt about that. But it had a great atmosphere, and it drew in like minded travelers, moreso than my other experiences in hostels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in our camper van. Facilities (bathrooms and kitchen) were all really clean and the staff were friendly. The atmosphere here is great and there were events organised each night e.g. a talent show and live music. There is a bar next door, but the noise is not excessive and the music ended early. Guests coming home from nights out were respectful and did not make much noise. There are also lots of things to do during the day including a bush walk. It is a little far from the town, but there is a shuttle bus which brings the guests in regularly. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and the price for camper vans is excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

It is a backpackers establishment, so one should not expect too much, but unfortunately for the price we paid for the four of us, it was below below par. The sheets smelt of vomit and beer, the bunk beds squeaked whenever its occupant so much as took a deep breath, and the room was miniscule with nothing but the beds and enough room to turn if only one person was standing. One more thing to keep in mind is that the band will play late into the night and there is no soundproofing... be prepared to drink lots of beer if you want to sleep! I would recommend this place if you really willing to rough it out as the price is good for Byron Bay, otherwise I would suggest you try somewhere that costs a few dollars more.

Room Tip: Its pot luck!