“Think carefully before booking”

The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I feel bad writing a poor review of this place because some people clearly love it. It's VERY much a question of taste. If you are into drinking, partying etc, do it. The place does have quite a cliquey feel to it, very hippy laid back vibe though. Some people I met had been there for months, how, I have no idea.

The dorms aren't great. Felt a bit like prison.

The walk into town becomes tiresome pretty quickly, but they do have a free shuttle bus, which runs at certain points in the day and then more at night.

The cheap meals are pretty awful tasting, but okay for 6 dollars if you're on a budget.

The pool is nice. talent show on a Tuesday night (I think) was actually really good and the trivia night was fun.

If you're under 25 and are prepared to get drunk out of your mind every night, I'd probably recommend it.

Think carefully before booking though! Personally, I hated it for the most part.

• Stayed: December 2011
There are newer reviews for The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge

Reviewed December 4, 2011

So dirty I don't know where to start. Teepee might seem like fun from the website photos- it isn't. Everyone coughing, then you look closely at the walls and see why. Mould everywhere. I'm sure the Health Dept have never visited, they would throw the book at this place. Zero quiet. Seriously, drunk antics go ALL NIGHT, there was maybe 10 minutes when it was quiet around sunrise. Beds are appalling as well. I know it's cheap, but you'd get a better night's sleep under a bridge or in a dumpster.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Hturner
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here thought it was very unusual and novel one of the funnest hostels I've stayed in whilst in Australia.

Stayed in a 8 bed female Tee Pee by the pond great fun and a novelty. It was clean had a huge lockable drawer (bring your own padlock) under the bed which managed to comfortably fit all 3 of my heavy bags. There were loads of Eastern Water Dragons running around the site but I love lizards so for me it was novel and I loved it trying to catch them but I guess they could be quite scary for people who don't like reptiles.

Downside was it was essentially a giant tent so no protection from the noise you could hear every sound, there's a bar nearby playing loud music and can hear people walking past throughout the night. Can get a bit chilly during the night too. Also not very secure as it was a zip up door. Only one plug socket in the tee pee so had to charge up electrical equipment in the main public areas which was a bit hard to do and couldn't do it for very long or leave it there. Toilets seemed a bit far away too especially when you wake up in the middle of the night it's a bit of a trek!

Loved the on site cafe great food, $5 dinners every night, amazing juices, smoothies and milkshakes. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Good facilities - swimming pool, volley ball court, hammocks, travel desk, storage lockers, cafe, brewery with great range of beers and cinema next door. Night time activites - trivia night, talent contest which was pretty good with great prizes.

A 10 -15min walk into main area of Byron Bus but a complimentary bus at various times throughout the day. Bad thing was not a night bus and last one was at 9.45pm.

Good vibe, fun and unusual would love to go back and would recommend to anyone looking for a short trip probably not ideal for a long term basis but a weekend here is great fun.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Do no go to this place if you are looking for quiet. There is a pub right next to the rooms. Music is playing full blast all day until 2 am at least. No glass windows to protect from ouside noise (only mosquito nets). The rooms are really shabby. The value for money is low, for what you really get.
The place is quite far away from all beaches. I don't see the point in staying there when you are at Byron Bay
The only good thing is that, after a sleepless night, we decided to leave. They let us go without claiming any money for our 3-day online booking.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed in the 'Nunnery', a girls only dorm. It was dirty (VERY smelly carpet), hot in the room (no air-con or fan) and the kitchenette not inviting at all (dirty microwave and fridge). The bathrooms were clean, but the cleaners closed the whole bathroom at 9am for nearly an hour to clean which is probably the busiest time of the day. Other than the room the place is ok if you are into the whole hippy atmosphere. There is a cafe that serves yummy $5 meals for dinner, fresh coffee and juices and delicious brownies. The location is not so great, it's a 10 minutes walk to town and almost 20 minutes to the beach. The bar next to Arts Factory is great and there is a live band playing every night. But as it is so close to the hostel it is also very lound so sleeping before 11/11:30pm is difficult.

Room Tip: Don't book a bed in the 'Nunnery'!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Heard so much about this place that we booked 4 nights through an agent. A 10 min walk from the main strip. To sum it up: dirty, noisy, small. Not worth the price they charge at all. Smells like weed wherever you go and you would probably have to be on a constant high in order to like the place. Since we booked through an agent, we couldn't get a refund when we told them we wanted to move. This is the worst place we have ever stayed in. Only pluss was the ok staff. Find something else unless you want the "alternative" stuff.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I would never ever go back to Arts Factory Lodge. I am so glad we were only staying one night, though I almost packed up at about midnight and moved somewhere else. First of all, it's dirty. I have spent a lot of time in hostels and never expect hotel quality cleanliness, but this is a new low. Make sure not to touch the sides of the showers or you'll find the evidence (like I did accidently) that they have never been cleaned. There is about a cm of grime. There is dirt and hair ALL over the bathroom. Second (and the reason I almost had to leave in the middle of the night) it's LOUD. Really loud. All night. There was music playing very late, people yelling and talking loudly, and the sound of bottles being thrown in the recycling. We finally got to sleep and were woken up around 3 am by girls running in high heels above our heads, shrieking and laughing, and then 10 minutes of them being yelled at by someone who works there (yes we appreciated that they were yelled at for being noisy but in fact the yelling was noisier than the girls). We found the staff abrupt and dismissive (although there was one pleasant girl who checked us out that was very helpful). It was also COLD at night in our room, and there were mosquitos (I can only imagine the summer!) everywhere. I can appreciate off the wall and funky places to stay, in fact from the pictures I was really excited about staying here, but the one thing I ask from the place I pay to sleep, is to be able to SLEEP! If I could give this place zero stars I would have.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room - don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple