“Poor hospitality.”

Beach Byron Bay
Ranked #47 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Beach Byron Bay celebrates and showcases the best of beach dining with a passion for great food, seasonality and a relaxed atmosphere. Beach, it’s what makes us unique.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to Byron Beach Cafe with a friend of mine last September. I have decided to write a review of this place after browsing through the photos that I have taken during my Byron Bay vacation. The restaurant is beautiful and they served really good American Breakfast.

However, the major setback was their hospitality. Both my friend and I were greeted by "Are you looking for a job back at the kitchen?" from one of the staffs as my friend and I are both Asians. That was very unpleasant and humiliating. However, we decided to stay and have our breakfast anyway since we had took a long walk to the restaurant. The waitress who then served us was nonetheless very attractive and presentable but then again has responded sarcastically when she was taking our orders and treated us with an unfriendly manner.

I am very much pleased with the food and the ambience and it would have been complete if we weren't treated with racism. I am hoping that the staffs will work on their character and attitude to provide better treatment to people of different races.

Byron B, Owner at Beach Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Ralphariel,

We were horrified and dismayed to read your comments posted about your visit to our cafe. We want to unreservedly apologise for any offence or embarrassment caused to you and your friend.

As the owners of this business, my wife and I take great pride in creating a warm, friendly and welcoming environment for all guests. We have never ever, nor would we ever, tolerate any sort of discrimination in any of its ugly forms by ANY of our staff (or customers for that matter).

We wish to assure you that we have spoken to all staff about this unfortunate situation to see if anybody knew anything about this or has ever witnessed any sort of racist or defamatory comments from any of our staff. Thankfully, I'm happy to report that nobody had ever seen or heard of anything of this nature.

We are a multi-award winning tourism business with full government and industry accreditation. We practice and preach the highest operational and ethical standards possible to our 45 staff. Being in a regional area and tourist town the business employs a number of international students and backpackers in various roles from wait staff to kitchen hands to chefs, who we sponsor as skilled migrants. We have staff from Italy, India, Korea and Germany. International visitors also represent over 10% of customers through the cafe, including many from Asia.

Whilst we feel horrible that you were understandably humiliated by the question you were asked, we feel it was more likely a misunderstanding than some form of casual racism. We do get people regularly coming to the door asking about work. We don't presume every non Anglo-Saxon that comes to the door is after unskilled kitchen work, however we feel it was more likely that somebody else was waiting for the chef to talk about work and one of our staff clumsily confused you with that person or persons.

None the less, whatever or why ever this happened, we unreservedly apologise and want you to know that we are very sorry for the poor service you received and that we will be making every effort to make sure this type of thing never happens to anyone else ever again.

Should you wish to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via our website contact form at www.byronbeachcafe.com.au or call our office on (02) 6685 8445 (we prefer not to publish email addresses due to spamming issues).

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had break feast here on a beautiful sunny morning in May and what a delightful place. Sitting at most tables you can see out over the beach and the sparkling sea and it is obvious this is a popular place with the locals.
The service was attentive and prompt and the waiter was friendly and helpful when asked where a certain product came from. Full marks.
I had the special of the day a wonderful omelette while the others shared a Mexican type breakfast, all delirious.
There was a good selection of drinks on display and I would imagine dinner would be good, must try.
The coffee was excellent and hot and the whole event started the day perfectly. I will be back.

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food in a beautiful idyllic setting with great views of the bay. Definitely a lovely place to sit back,relax and enjoy the experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We come here every time we are in Byron. The location right on the beach is spectacular. Breakfast dishes are really good. This week we had the corn fritters with salmon and mushroom, tomato and avocado on sourdough. The salmon was delicious - best we can remember having for a long time. The mushrooms were nicely done as well. The only very minor issue is that it was hard to manage the sourdough dish on the board it was served on. A dish more suited to a conventional plate.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Lovely restaurant with a great view. Breakfast menu was diverse. Couscous with fruit and yoghurt a new twist to breakfast.