“Mixed review”

Ranked #13 of 200 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Harvest Ethos is Fresh Local Seasonal and Sustainable.We focus on using an abundance of fresh local produce - showcasing the best of what our region has to offer. A majority of our herbs and vegetables are grown on our very own organic farm and on site kitchen garden. A Devine carefully crafted seasonal wine and cocktail list enables our beautiful staff take you on a true dining journey. Located in Newrybar - we are 10 minutes from Byron Bay but in a world all of our own. Time seems to stand still in the hills, come and see for yourself. We also feature a Cellar & Private dining room, Artisan Bakery and Deli. Harvest is also available for Catering and Private events. Welcome to the Festival of Food in the Byron Bay Hinterland.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

As I'm too lazy to write two reviews, this one is a combination of two visits to Harvest. The first one was for lunch with my family in 2012, the second a dinner with a group of friends more recently. Unfortunately, as is often the case, our experiences were vastly different. The lunch was awful and the dinner was great. Service was the major difference. Our waiter for lunch was terrible - arrogant, rude and dismissive. He forgot about us for nearly an hour at one stage, as he was off flirting with a woman at another table. Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years, I was gobsmacked at just how bad the service was, for such a highly rated restaurant! The food was, at best, ok. In the end, we left and went into Bangalow for dessert and coffee, vowing never to return.

A couple of months later, I was invited to a dinner at Harvest. In contrast to my previous experience, our dinner was wonderful. The service was great, food was fantastic and everyone in our group of 8 rated the meal 10/10. I'm hoping that our lunch experience was just an anomaly.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

First, let me say that the setting is lovely. We met for an extended family brunch on Mother's Day and our tables in the back pavilion were lovely. The service was quite prompt and friendly given the numbers of people in the place. It was swarming with people. The coffee was very nice.

In fact everything was nice except the portion sizes were ridiculously small. A child's pancakes order was one tiny pancake, and we had to order a second meal for our 7 year old nephew. How much do pancake ingredients cost? Next to nothing so the poor impression and meanness communicated by the establishment in this gesture was to save a few cents.
Likewise, my husbands Trout order was the size of a McDonalds cheeseburger, cost nearly $20 and left him very hungry. I would have expected at that price that the dish would have been served open with ingredients on both sides of the bread. My 10 yr old son and I ordered the Quesadilla which was tasty but again left him asking for more food. Perhaps the strategy is to leave you hungry so you will be forced to buy something from their bakery next door to drown out your growling stomach.
I wouldn't go back. It is such a shame that the effort gone into the beautiful setting and fresh, tasty ingredients is so badly let down by the lack of generosity in portion size.

1  Thank jojoy69
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We loved discovering Harvest cafe, their bakery and deli. Set in a small town outside of Byron the owners have outdone themselves creating the ultimate country foodies heaven. We were there for brunch and loved the great coffee, quesedias and corn cakes. We were only sorry to not be blue to make it back for the Sunday themed share lunch they were holding in the bakery the next day, so I'd suggest checking ahead for events on their website.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Do yourself a favour and escape the crowds of Byron Bay. In an old converted timber house, this cafe has it all: good food, great coffee and friendly professional service. Try the scones with jam and double-whipped cream with you coffee.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We deviated to this restaurant on the way to Byron Bay, and loved it. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful and really well thought out. We loved the spaghetti marinara, and all the spaghetti is freshly made. The service was excellent and while the prices are closer to fine dining prices, go for the experience!