“A Lovely Night”

Ranked #12 of 200 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional French Cuisine. All-French staff. Affordable French and Australian wine list. Fully licensed.A la carte and menus options . Gift vouchers available.Vegetarian and gluten-free friendly. We hereby certify that ALL testimonies are genuine, unlike some of our competitors, who need to improve their rating, we have not bought testimonies from any dubious websites.. Extensive range of French wines and belgian beers.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Gorgeous food, excellent staff, warm and friendly hostess. The duck was delicious and the snails very tasty. The French white wine I chose was so lovely, I had to ask for them to write down its name. We had a great night just as a couple, but will bring our son with us next time as there is a kid's menu too.

1  Thank Felicity R

Reviewed May 3, 2014

The food was good, not superb, not fantastic, but my scallops were very nice. My partner had the duck which was also good. Pate was tasty. Our waitress was nice, friendly. Well done to the Chef and staff it is hard work the restaurant business, I know. I am sorry to say the problem we had was the female owner, who at the outset seemed to dislike us. She was short with us when I pointed out to her that there was cigarette smoke wafting through the eating area from someone sitting upwind of the dining area. I wasn't able to make my point, and she got quite defensive. I was pretty shocked, as no reviews I saw mentioned anything similar. She also presented the bill in a rush, and I never actually saw it before she shoved the credit card machine in front of me. Time to go my partner and I thought. They also need a new premises, the dining area is like a cafe, I expected a bit more in terms of decor, paper napkins, cheap aluminium chairs, at $40 a main you need to have an dining experience beyond just the food.

5  Thank barra123456
Reviewed April 30, 2014

From the moment you arrive at this special, small restaurant you are transported out of Byron Bay and into France. The food is extremely delicious and the atmosphere wonderful , there is a extensive wine list and fine french wine to enjoy with your meals.
The Petit Snail is not a budget restaurant , it is an experience that one must have , it is such fun to visit , because it is a small restaurant, you are treated like part of the family and welcomed so warmly.
Don't miss an opportunity to go to the Petit Snail!
Make it a special night out !

1  Thank Jannelle54
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Its obvious this delightful little French restaurant is run by the owners, as the service is immediately attentive, friendly and professional. A couple of complimentary olives as a small starter usually accompany your first drink. If you are dieting this is probably not the place to go, as butter is the friend of French chefs, but all the meals we've tried there have been delectable. They offer French wine selection, however you can still BYO. Probably one of the best restaurants in Byron, especially for special occasions when you don't want any disappointments.

1  Thank ByronVIPTravel
Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear ByronVIP Travel,

thank you so much for your beautiful testimony. We pride ourselves on our service 'à la Française" and our food is prepared from local, organic and mostly home grown produce in the traditional French style. Although we do of course use butter, and various types of oils, these are NEVER cooked and therefore much less harmful. We do not even have a deep fryer in the kitchen...
As a rule we have not accepted BYO for more that 4 years, but trust the French, rules are meant to be occasionally broken ! And I think that on the night you came you were not aware of the change and this is the reason why you were allowed to BYO ! But as we now keep a wide range of French and Australian wines, BYO is definitely not an option anymore.
Hoping to see you again soon...

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Visited this restaurant last night to celebrate my daughters birthday.Very welcome greeting by a bubbly hostess.They were very helpful with the wine selection and the menu.
We had requested a fondu as an entree for the 6 of us,which turned out to be excellent but VERY EXPENSIVE at $240.00 for a cheese fondu pot we shared.
Of the 6 main meals we ordered 4 were excellent while the other 2 have to be returned to the kitchen as the steaks were totally overdone.The hostess had one look at them and did not hesitate in taking them away to be re done. One of the 2nd steaks had to be returned for a 2nd time as it was also overdone.The final steaks were cooked to perfection and all in all we had a throughly enjoyable evening albeit for the final bill that was over $700.00 which included 3 bottles of wine at $44.00/bottle

Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Bruce,

your review comes as a bit of a surprise... The fondue for 4 people is 1.1kg of imported cheeses - a mix of 4 fairly expensive cheeses (averaging at $70 a kilo) to which you have to add 1/2 litre of a good white wine, 2 shots of Kirsch, and we are working with a coefficient 2.2 on the cost of our ingredients !!! Normally a fondue for 2 is served as a main for $120 (550gr of cheese) typically mains are worked out on a 3.5 coefficient on the cost of ingredients just to cover costs !!! So in fact by industry standards, the fondue is really cheap.
Concerning the steaks, there was a mix up between two tables with similar orders (which had never happened before), but we rectified the problem promptly. Again to compare apples with apples, remember that french baguette is on the table at no extra cost, side dishes of vegetables are served with the mains also at no extra cost, a palate cleanser of home made wine sorbet is served between the entrée and the main at no extra cost and a free mise en bouche is brought to every guest on arrival. These freebies would amount to an average of $20 to $25 a head in most other restaurants... and if you chose not to order them you'd go starving !
So please do your math again and you will find that comparing what is comparable we come out on top !
I am happy that in spite of the little mishaps you had a good evening and we will be delighted to repeat the experience at your earliest convenience.