“A bit for Paris in Byron”
Review of The Petit Snail

The Petit Snail
Ranked #4 of 210 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional French Cuisine. All-French staff. Affordable French and Australian wine list. Fully licensed.A la carte and set menus options . Gift vouchers available.Vegetarian and gluten-free friendly. We hereby certify that ALL testimonies are genuine. Extensive range of French wines and belgian beers. Dinner experience & lunch available !
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Its obvious this delightful little French restaurant is run by the owners, as the service is immediately attentive, friendly and professional. A couple of complimentary olives as a small starter usually accompany your first drink. If you are dieting this is probably not the place to go, as butter is the friend of French chefs, but all the meals we've tried there have been delectable. They offer French wine selection, however you can still BYO. Probably one of the best restaurants in Byron, especially for special occasions when you don't want any disappointments.

1  Thank ByronVIPTravel
Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear ByronVIP Travel,

thank you so much for your beautiful testimony. We pride ourselves on our service 'à la Française" and our food is prepared from local, organic and mostly home grown produce in the traditional French style. Although we do of course use butter, and various types of oils, these are NEVER cooked and therefore much less harmful. We do not even have a deep fryer in the kitchen...
As a rule we have not accepted BYO for more that 4 years, but trust the French, rules are meant to be occasionally broken ! And I think that on the night you came you were not aware of the change and this is the reason why you were allowed to BYO ! But as we now keep a wide range of French and Australian wines, BYO is definitely not an option anymore.
Hoping to see you again soon...

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Visited this restaurant last night to celebrate my daughters birthday.Very welcome greeting by a bubbly hostess.They were very helpful with the wine selection and the menu.
We had requested a fondu as an entree for the 6 of us,which turned out to be excellent but VERY EXPENSIVE at $240.00 for a cheese fondu pot we shared.
Of the 6 main meals we ordered 4 were excellent while the other 2 have to be returned to the kitchen as the steaks were totally overdone.The hostess had one look at them and did not hesitate in taking them away to be re done. One of the 2nd steaks had to be returned for a 2nd time as it was also overdone.The final steaks were cooked to perfection and all in all we had a throughly enjoyable evening albeit for the final bill that was over $700.00 which included 3 bottles of wine at $44.00/bottle

Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Bruce,

your review comes as a bit of a surprise... The fondue for 4 people is 1.1kg of imported cheeses - a mix of 4 fairly expensive cheeses (averaging at $70 a kilo) to which you have to add 1/2 litre of a good white wine, 2 shots of Kirsch, and we are working with a coefficient 2.2 on the cost of our ingredients !!! Normally a fondue for 2 is served as a main for $120 (550gr of cheese) typically mains are worked out on a 3.5 coefficient on the cost of ingredients just to cover costs !!! So in fact by industry standards, the fondue is really cheap.
Concerning the steaks, there was a mix up between two tables with similar orders (which had never happened before), but we rectified the problem promptly. Again to compare apples with apples, remember that french baguette is on the table at no extra cost, side dishes of vegetables are served with the mains also at no extra cost, a palate cleanser of home made wine sorbet is served between the entrée and the main at no extra cost and a free mise en bouche is brought to every guest on arrival. These freebies would amount to an average of $20 to $25 a head in most other restaurants... and if you chose not to order them you'd go starving !
So please do your math again and you will find that comparing what is comparable we come out on top !
I am happy that in spite of the little mishaps you had a good evening and we will be delighted to repeat the experience at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I were treated to a meal here whilst we were out backpacking. We were showed our table and I got a little extra stool to put my handbag on - loved it. To make a long story short: I ordered the steak tartare and my boyfriend ordered the fabulous crispy duck legs. My steak tartare was prepared in front of us, showing exactly what ingredients were in it and it was just fantastic to see.

We can't do anything more than recommend this restaurant to everyone out there even if it is a bit pricey. If you're having a special meal - go here.

1  Thank nastasjathor
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our second visit to this restaurant and in actual fact, we stayed the night in Byron Bay on the way back to Queensland from Sydney solely to visit this restaurant again. We were not disappointed! Small but very charming and a real gem of a find. I had the scallops with cauliflower puree which were absolutely the best I have ever tasted (we have actually just returned from a gourmet eating extravaganza in Paris and England). My husband had the perch for his main which he described as the most delicately flavoured fish he has ever had. At the end of the night, Igor came out and spent 10-15 minutes with us in a very informative and friendly atmosphere. He did not ignore other guests. The menu is not a large one which can sometimes be an advantage as the chef can then concentrate on his signature dishes. All in all a great night and we will definitely be there again. Incidentally whilst overseas we eat in Taillevent, Gordon Ramsay's, Heston Blumenthal and Marco Pierre White as well of course as other highly regarded restaurants.

1  Thank Andrea492014
Reviewed March 17, 2014

With such a good reputation we were overall disappointed with our experience, especially for the price. The menu was quite limited, there is no choice of side dishes, the drinks and wine lists are also limited and overpriced - $18 for a cocktail that tasted like the cheapest vodka and artificial peach flavour. The hostess is bubbly and the food is ok, but not for the price. During dinner here I was really struck by the realisation that we have moved to the country. The waitress was friendly but when the chef came out toward the end of the evening, he talked to pretty much every table but us. I can understand Igor's interest in chatting to the young women in their summer dresses, but they're not spending a few hundred dollars on dinner so your time might be better spent on potential repeat business.
By the way, if you're thinking of replying, Igor, don't bother. I've read your responses to other reviews so I already know that I'm wrong, your food is always wonderful and if I had a less than amazing time, it's my own fault.

4  Thank MboROT
Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for your review, but yes I will respond in spite of the fact that you already know what my answers will be !!! First concerning the cocktail... I am surprised your fine palate did not detect the Polish Vodka ($57 a bottle) and the fine white White Peach Liqueur from Burgundy ($48 a bottle). I can assure you there is no cheating there, and if you'd rather check labels than trust me or your palate, we would have been delighted to show you the bottles on the night... We often bring them to the table when we are not too busy, and anyway they are all on display on the bar.
No choice of side dishes... they are actually listed on the menu and there are 4 or 5 to choose from if you ask the waiter what vegetables are available on the night he will tell you.
Expensive... Try other places in Byron Bay... we are litterally killed by outrageous rents and have not very much choice if we want to survive. An average of 6 restaurants goes bankrupt every year.
In our case simply compare what is comparable: free French baguette(in other restaurant you are systematically charged for bread), free side dishes (which regularly cost between $6 and $8 a serve), free palate cleanser between courses; so you are actually getting for $12 to $15 of free helpings of food) and when I come out of the kitchen to talk to customers, I dont pick and choose the "young women in their summer dresses" in preference to grumpy old men, I just try not to interrupt people who are in a conversation or still eating. In our place, if you want something that does not seem readily available - like talking to the chef or more side dishes - all you need to do is ask and we'll bend over backwards to oblige !